OK East Coasters, What's So Great About North Carolina?

FarmerFixEmUp

OK, our oldest son is 30, just married in September. He's lived in Fargo for maybe 5 or 6 years. He works from home online, his wife just graduated college with a psychology degree. They decided to move to Charlotte NC. They say they want to get away from winter. Heck, they could do that in Omaha or Kansas City as far as I'm concerned. 😂II  hear lots of younger people moving to the east coast. My niece about my son's age has lived there for a number of years. What's the draw? I was kidding them and said I'd take a blizzard over a hurricane any day. 😂  But I've never lived out of NW Iowa. 

It's their life but my wife isn't real big on the idea, but you can't control them forever.  He keeps trying to entice me there because of the NASCAR speedway, but I'm not a big fan of that anymore. Don't hardy recognize the driver's names. 

Our second son is with them helping drive one of their cars there this week. They were at Kansas City last night and I believe Nashville tonight, then to Charlotte tomorrow. He's flying home Saturday. 

I thought I read somewhere once that 80% of the US population lives along the eastern seaboard states?

No idea, saying nothing at all about your son, every dirt bag who leaves VT is bound for “North Carolina” just the massive volume of people i am happy to be rid of makes me willing to drive around the whole state regardless of inconvenience. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hardtail said:

I thought I read somewhere once that 80% of the US population lives along the eastern seaboard states?

Sometimes I think Iowa is too crowded, not a city person at all. Our square mile has 3 acreages, so about 12 people. 

• Like 1

I had some friends who moved there for his work. They said there were lots of things to do for younger people. Charlotte is growing at a break neck pace. They later moved back (again with his job). If that’s what a person wants, I wish them luck. It’s not for me though. 

• Like 2

Charlotte doesn't get a lot of hurricanes and if there is one it is far enough inland to avoid the worst.  Heck, I live 90 miles north of Panama City, Florida and don't see a lot of hurricanes.  By the time it gets to us there is mostly just rain and wind, not the category 3-5 winds like you see right as it comes ashore.  I would much rather live down here with our summers than endure 30 below winters in Iowa.  Been there, done that!  I was born in Cedar Rapids in July of 53 and lived near Springville on a family dairy farm until I went into the military in 1975.  Charlotte is part of the research triangle that is going on in the Carolinas.  Lots of good jobs and decent climate.

Bill

Mountains and ocean in the same state is a big draw. It high enough in western NC to avoid the heat in the summer. The winters are mild. 

I don't want to live in Charlotte or any other city but there's lots of nice countryside.

Basic training in Ft. Campbell KY, (Most of it is in Tenn.), Jan thru Mar., Tampa Fl., First week in Aug, moving Mom home...

I'll stay right here, thank you.....Even if I DO HATE SNOW!!!!!!!! 🥶

Mike

I'm like you Lyle, I want away from people.  Hopefully they're there for a short bit and realize how nice it is in the Midwest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I live about 275 mi east of Charlotte and that's as close as I want to get. I have a good friend that moved to Denver NC (30 miles north of Charlotte) and he loves it. He was from Green Bay Wi. Say the car culture is great and the people as so much nicer. He wished he had done it years earlier. As for hurricanes Charlotte was hit with one of the worst hurricanes to hit the east coast, remember Hugo.

• Like 3

Been here in Northwestern North Carolina all my life on the farm been in family 219 years. Mild winter climate would be draw for northerners. So many newcomers moving in it is getting too crowded. More people require more housing, crowding schools, more retail space being built. Land being converted to roads, parking lots, roofs all of which rainfall runs off quickly causing more quick rising flooding.

17 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

No idea, saying nothing at all about your son, every dirt bag who leaves VT is bound for “North Carolina” just the massive volume of people i am happy to be rid of makes me willing to drive around the whole state regardless of inconvenience. 

It would be nice if you could keep some of them up there with you guys. We are being overrun

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rick G. said:

North Carolina was having earthquakes the other day. Kind of unusual for them. 

We have them from time to time in western nc, they are never much. Generally you don't feel them and the only way you know they happened is from the news. There was actually a plan to make a nuclear waste dump in part of wnc back in the 70s or 80s but the powers that be realized there was a fault line and it stopped the plan.

Good livable conditions from the Atlantic Ocean to the Smokey Mountains and not even a one day drive. Good rainfall and conditions for farming  and gardening with no irrigation  normally required. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 885 said:

It would be nice if you could keep some of them up there with you guys. We are being overrun

Sorry, no returns. 

• Haha 1

We have been to Gatlinburg area a couple times. Neat area and if I'm not mistaken the park is in both n and s Carolina as well as Tennessee? Love the area.  Lot of history and log cabins in the park. 

Can you see my eyes rolling from here? I just posted about this yesterday, but I have so many family members that "just had to get the **** out of New York, with the taxes and the snow!!!"

One went to Puerto Rico -New York on steroids. And a bunch went to Charlotte. A whole family of six, all adults, with their spouses and kids all went to the same place. They're pretty sure they're better than you, so obviously it must be wonderful there.

My heart broke for them when one of their houses got damaged by a flood. Thought to myself "but at least it wasn't snow!!!!one11!"

Whatever. People leaving rural upstate NY in droves. I'm not complaining. Addition by subtraction.

No taxes !