Pre War Dodge

jeeper61

For my druther I prefer the chevy for a mean look, ever since I was looking at vehicles I loved the tip out windshield, my '37 had that and it looked so kul, and it cooled the car down quite well, and yes on the cummins from me also.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Neat old truck but I disagree on the Cummings being a better choice.

I don't know about jeep but my steering towards an I6 is lugability, 318 slush is a good combo but just for bush and road lugging I love deezels.

A mopar powered by a mopar. Cant go wrong with the combination. Better than most efforts where a 350 chebby has been slotted in. A cummins would be terriffic but at least its on the road and going rather than sitting rotting away. Shes a cool beast

• Like 1

As president of the nit pickers club I will say that with the headlights mounted on the crown of the fenders it is post 1941.  '39 and '40 had the lights tucked in down in the valley close to the grill.  I don't know the start stop dates but war time trucks had painted emblems and grill trim instead of stainless.  Of course as a Canadian pre war to me means pre September of 1939.  

The leaning tower of power would be fun but probably a pretty tight fit lengthwise.  The service manual for the early days of the series list a Diesel engine as an option in the big models. I have never found one and cannot find any information on it.  The book implies that it is a Mopar built engine and some comments on the web say that as well.  I always assumed it would be an early cummins.  The wiring diagram shows a split 24 volt system (a la 10 series JD) and glow plugs.  

The larger models also had a 2 speed rear axle with mechanical shift linkage.   

Cool truck.  I hope it has a truck muffler instead of the car or light truck that the engine would have come with.  

1 hour ago, 7288cdn said:

As president of the nit pickers club I will say that with the headlights mounted on the crown of the fenders it is post 1941.  '39 and '40 had the lights tucked in down in the valley close to the grill.  I don't know the start stop dates but war time trucks had painted emblems and grill trim instead of stainless.  Of course as a Canadian pre war to me means pre September of 1939.  

The leaning tower of power would be fun but probably a pretty tight fit lengthwise.  The service manual for the early days of the series list a Diesel engine as an option in the big models. I have never found one and cannot find any information on it.  The book implies that it is a Mopar built engine and some comments on the web say that as well.  I always assumed it would be an early cummins.  The wiring diagram shows a split 24 volt system (a la 10 series JD) and glow plugs.  

Cool truck.  I hope it has a truck muffler instead of the car or light truck that the engine would have come with.  

Here you go

4E3C9C26-B9EE-40C3-8A2E-46581D1C68F9.png

8059D07B-1245-4837-9241-69B267DB4849.png

643E758E-A95D-4269-828D-C2C697030EE0.png

056F951C-342C-4298-BF32-79F72F06277A.png

2F55ABD6-00B0-4A63-B191-FE732678A68F.png

FD571F93-FC5E-4F21-80E8-9FE757D4664B.png

59B3B0A4-7B30-4D86-8B35-A36A110BA3BE.png

D984E2A8-8310-4CBB-AEA1-E836744BDAEB.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 7288cdn said:

I think the head lights changed in 1940 on the light trucks

They went sealed-beam headlamps and were equipped with marker lights mounted on the headlamp housing.

You can the left light housing looks to be an original it appears to have the maker light on it 

image.png.6ba6f58d62019f266f8dd37b9ebe04a5.png

image.png.ecc9a3204eec497855d1f4b1015ec36c.png

I drove one of those when I was just a young lad working in a campsite in the summer months , the old girl had the original straight 6 in her this one had a flatbed on the back and we picked up the garbage and sold firewood off if in the evenings  .... 

HP

• Like 3

Thanks for the pics of the Dodge Diesels.  I have also been looking for the factory dual single barrel carb set up for the flat 6's.  That would be fun on a 265.  

12 hours ago, oleman said:

Better would be the flat head 6 that they still had in the Military Styled MW/WM 300 (?) at least until 1969 in their sales book. 

A Chinese Cummins in a pre-war Dodge is a little bit much.

I was in China about 1983.  They must have decided from Korean war captures that that line of trucks was the way to go - they were everywhere.