Does size matter?

searcyfarms

This is my day job work area - ive kept some novelties over the years. These are the past 20 yrs of technology in computer hard drives.

The first top left is a SCSI 20meg 8 platter 16head rotary hard drive. Maybe a 7200rpm but likely a 5400.

The next to the right of it is a SCSI 80meg 4 platter 8 head rotary. 

The next going down left to right is the 3.5 dual sided floppy at 1.44meg. I didnt have any 5.25 or 7" floppy left to display.

Then you have an IDE 4 platter 8 head unit at 200gig prob 7200 rpm. 

My trusty magic wand for exercising the demons as needed. 

Smaller  laptop rotary drive IDE Single platter dual head 80mb 5400rpm.

I didnt keep any of the Sata drives as they are the same rotary physical size as IDE just different data technology. 

Next are First gen n Second gen Solid State hard drives which are current models. Both are 512gig or 1/2 a terabyte = my how things have changed. 

The SSD are used in desktops and laptops. 

20230526_094042.jpg

• Like 1

So, where do the punched cards go again?

Mike

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

You lost me at first top left.....something about mega platters? We going to Denneys for lunch? 🤔😁

I'm with you Doug 😄

tumblr_be7e4ded2185e189222ff0504b316c07_e6e7d15a_1280.thumb.jpg.5393a85cec14db504f91c6b20fd9f5a7.jpg

• Haha 4

This topic is left open for derailing. 

I am sure glad I am running the 80 ft roller and not the 42ft one. 

• Haha 3

My Mom was a keypunch operator. I was late to computers. My first was an IBM with a whopping 20 meg HD running DOS.

In order to get enough memory a few years back our plane's navigation databases came on a PCMCIA card. Eventually we went with a PCMCIA adapter to an SD card with another adapter SD to micro SD, which has more capacity than the PCMCIA card. I just bought 2TB for $15.

• Like 1

I have a lot of files and pictures on the 3-1/2" floppys. It was a backup for my computer that decided to die. I have a remote floppy drive but now I don't have a computer that will accept the floppy or the remote program. Any ideas?

My father-in-law never threw any away so in their garage is I think a Commodore 64.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

You lost me at first top left.....something about mega platters? We going to Denneys for lunch? 🤔😁

i think those are debatably edible but the ones im working with are w/out a doubt non consumable for human sustinance 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, acem said:

I replaced many 5 1/2" floppy drives with Seagate ST225 hard drives (20 MB). I think they are bigger than anything in your pic.

funny you mention seagate - those two SCSI on the top shelf are both old Seagate Baracuda drives - the first one on left prob weighs 6 or 8 lbs - the magnets and bearing are substantial considering any other rotaries I have.  

I've ran computers with 8 in floppy drives. My first computer was a trash80 model III with tape drive. I built my first PC in 86? I bought it one piece at a time as I had money. One floppy drive and pirated DOS. I ran it without a case, on the living room table,  for a couple months until I could afford a case...

Computers were expensive back then!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I got my first PC clone in 1985 with a fancy orange colored CRT monitor.  20 MB and a floppy drive, 8088 chip!  Thought I was hot crap!

pure hot rod!!! 

10 minutes ago, acem said:

I've ran computers with 8 in floppy drives. My first computer was a trash80 model III with tape drive. I built my first PC in 86? I bought it one piece at a time as I had money. One floppy drive and pirated DOS. I ran it without a case, on the living room table,  for a couple months until I could afford a case...

Computers were expensive back then!

we used these back in the 90s 

image.png.dc13616733f20ec2db44fe02caaec2d8.png

1 hour ago, 1965Dennis said:

I have a lot of files and pictures on the 3-1/2" floppys. It was a backup for my computer that decided to die. I have a remote floppy drive but now I don't have a computer that will accept the floppy or the remote program. Any ideas?

My father-in-law never threw any away so in their garage is I think a Commodore 64.

i just threw out a set of windows 95 image disks, i think it was 35ish 3.5inch floppies you had to insert in their specific order. 

• Like 1

.......I always used to carry an 8  inch (American )   Crescent  , right side pocket....did this for years untill one day wrestling   the hydralic pump out of a American Caterpillar 930 loader I had, ended up in some awkward position and that damn crescent   nearly gelded me....so I now ..in fact long since ....have gone back to a six inch crescent  (American )  which along with diminished function of  the  ''  nether   regions ''...is proved far less potentially harmful.....

....sort of like  @1965Dennis   3-1/2  inch floppy...I guess......hope this adds some extra  dimension...from my perspective...to the '''Does size matter ''    topic

Mike

• Haha 2

Data storage certainly has progressed to solid state technology 

Most of those early drives were made here in the USA we sold a lot of inspection equipment for all the parts 

Was a high tech industry then all been gone for about 20 years now

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

This is the smallest rotary platter disk I have - its usb powered and runs just like the usb stick thumb drives now 

20230526_182601.jpg

20230526_182620.jpg

Socks?

• Haha 1