Mower deck treatment

M35A2

Today I picked up a new DR 30inch self-propelled lawn mower.  The deck is cast aluminum.  Haven't used it yet, and want to treat the underside first.   I've seen a product called mo deck mentioned in Farm Show magazine and on various forums.  Some swear by it, others say it works ok, but requires frequent application.   Two things at play here.  First this mower is brand spanking new, and has not had anything under the deck yet.   Number two, it is a cast aluminum deck, meaning it won't rot out like a steel deck would.    Will this work on the aluminum deck?    My other idea is to use some slip plate coating left over from the days of farming and coating the area around the door of the gravity flow wagons.    Also have some tacky aerosol rust inhibitor stuff for short term protection (think it has a high lanolin content)   Thoughts?  Opinions?  or other ideas to coat the underside of the mower?  

I have found that wet grass will stick to ANY/EVERYTHING....no matter what.

Things like slip plate help, but in the end, nothing stops it.

If you clean with water, clean all the way every time you get it wet.  If you clean with air, plan on scraping every so often.

No good solution but ongoing maintenance. 

But....things like Slip Plate do help...

Using air to blow off the top of the deck every mowing makes a huge difference.....only corrodes from one side, not both..

hmmmm cast aluminum, well i hope it is more durable than most things i have used for mowing, it seems my mowers run into stuff and break/bend/crack and need welding i hope your mower doesnt run into stuff like mine cause i cant weld aluminum - it doesnt seem to matter who is driving whether its been me, wife, kids, etc........dang mowers are magnets to things that break them

i have never had a deck of any kind outlast my mowers - its usually rusty for sure from all teh moisture/humidity we have here, wonder if the drier climates are better, hope you find something that works well i always thot maybe spraying with used motor oil every now and again might help but never tried it

1 hour ago, M35A2 said:

Number two, it is a cast aluminum deck, meaning it won't rot out like a steel deck would.   

yes and no depends on the composition,and grass is basically acid like salt, cheap ^%*&^ for /in vehicles doesnt hold up.

HOWEVER have been running off color ,"cast" decks since they came out in '78,no more scale than good semi rims in Michigan,some expected wear and a few battle scars/ punctures from rocks. (edit rubber tire no air on bearings on full axle) not BS plastic ( BS IS BS get a honda)

solid or low pressure turf  tires and only < 5hp to the drive,you shouldnt have any crash damage.

IIRC DR is specifically for OFF road/lawn  so for about 3 yrs you have to be careful of FINDING ALL the obstacles inside AND outside the deck

edit ) Upon looking beyond the aluminum aspect,if its shown below and > $^500 , RUN forest RUN RUN it back NOW, TOTAL weekend warrior BS/ POS throw away.

From 40 years + of experience.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/1396556-dr-power-30-self-propelled-lawn-mower.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyLGjBhDKARIsAFRNgW_q18kGAPak0sUBt7sMQ688OY8pH7j3xw1_To2tNLZIpafkqPtu2JgaAl_9EALw_wcB

Yes, this is the $1200.00 mower.  Like most typical upper midwest yards, my lawn is a hodgepodge of growing plants.  Kentucky bluegrass,, fescue, couple patches of zoyosia, creeping charlie, white clover, etc...  

I always thought washing the deck off as soon as mother was finished mowing was the best way to go.

I made this.

Hook it up to the hydrant, find a good flat spot so it will lay and stay so your blades won't hit it

IMG_20230524_122656196.thumb.jpg.f553bc88b7aa0da1f6c99b961c0c45a0.jpg

Turn on the water

IMG_20230524_122717703.thumb.jpg.b61edaad49b51b96f7f76cab14311ea1.jpg

Drive mower deck over it

Turn on the pto

And wait till clean water comes out the discharge chute

IMG_20230524_122848571.thumb.jpg.db8d994ab7163d7ea7b623cb11cbaea3.jpg

Gets it squeaky clean 🧽

And no laying on your back with a putty knife.

• Like 1

Thanks for the idea on the blue devcon.  I've used slip plate on the my old Deere mower, but as time happened, and somtimes trying to get the yard mowed between working farming, and now work and civic duties, sometimes the deck got neglected.   After 18 years, its time to speed up my lawn mowing, and give my step daughter the deere for her yard she will get in July.    Like many of you have said, slip plate works.  Works ok, but not the end-all.  Sounds like the blue devcon might be the ticket.   

lawnmower.jpg

lawnmower2.jpg

my son works in teh golf industry and these are the new latest mowers - basically think of one of the roomba household sweepers - these things run hours a day, go home to charge themselves like a roomba, remember where they have been and talk to others on the course - he said they are crazy quiet now sure how they will last but several courses have them already over in KS

image.thumb.png.9f497e007a083ca8c28a8910f045a013.png

On 5/23/2023 at 10:31 PM, M35A2 said:

Today I picked up a new DR 30inch self-propelled lawn mower.  The deck is cast aluminum.  Haven't used it yet, and want to treat the underside first.   I've seen a product called mo deck mentioned in Farm Show magazine and on various forums.  Some swear by it, others say it works ok, but requires frequent application.   Two things at play here.  First this mower is brand spanking new, and has not had anything under the deck yet.   Number two, it is a cast aluminum deck, meaning it won't rot out like a steel deck would.    Will this work on the aluminum deck?    My other idea is to use some slip plate coating left over from the days of farming and coating the area around the door of the gravity flow wagons.    Also have some tacky aerosol rust inhibitor stuff for short term protection (think it has a high lanolin content)   Thoughts?  Opinions?  or other ideas to coat the underside of the mower?  

The old Lawnboy mowers were cast aluminum if I’m remembering right. Tough mowers that would last forever.

I think I would try that slip plate coatings, or clean it good after every mowing and oil it with fluid film or the like…

The Blue Devcon looked great.  Until I saw the price tag.  Crap, that stuff is almost a third of the cost of the mower for a 2# container!!!  Apparently Loctite has something similar, for similar price.   So for that price, I can buy a lifetime supply of slip plate, and run a garden hose for what that stuff costs.  Plus I would have zero need for the remainder of the Devcon.    

Did my first mowing with it last night.  Looked like a monkey mating a football for a while.  The speed control took some getting used to.  By the time I had it figured out, the yard was mowed.    Did realize that I need to run a roller over the yard after the next monsoon.  With a wider walk behind unit, it is more noticeable than with the Deere.   Just rough.  

We sell customers graphite in a spray can (pretty much slip plate) seems to work pretty well on new decks but doesn't help at all on old pitted decks.