drglinski Posted May 24 Share Posted May 24 I use my cubs for mowing my grass. I prefer a 48" triangle deck under a narrow frame (147). As they are old like everything else IH made they tend to wear out so I'm always on the lookout for them. The one that I had been using was getting more and more swiss cheese like each year. I found a good used replacement on marketplace last winter that had a great shell. Problem is, it had a 20' brushed paint job. Sooner than later I'd like to repaint all of my tractors and implements so I decided this would be a good test of my skill of stripping and repainting something. I had used plenty of spray paint cans but I wanted to use an actual spray gun on this. I took what was good out of the swiss cheese deck (like spindles and blades) and used those on the donor. -I stripped the paint using a combination of angle grinder stripping wheel and aircraft stripper. -The center spindle opening was broken and missing a piece where a bolt hole was so I welded in a patch and drilled it out. -The center cast piece where the hangers for the subframe attached was broken on the donor deck. It was missing pieces and discarded. I used the one from the cheese deck. -It was missing a ski runner. The cheese deck didn't have runners so for $15 and an afternoon I made one. -I turned a roller on my dad's wood lathe. -CNH 935 white at 8:1:1 (hardener and reducer) was applied. -Maple hunter of texas was the supplier for the decals. I had an issue with the 'be careful' decal but they replaced it no questions asked. I'd do business with them again. I am happy with the way it came out. I have my eyes set on the 73 next! (not pictured) Thank you to K. Smith at brushfire design/the little tractor co for his help and advice when it came to the painting process. Chase your dream because your dream won't chase you back. 4 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.