Case 445T/M2 Engine

Cdfarabaugh

Hopefully.theres someone in here that can shed some light on these engines.  If I understand correctly this engine is an NEF engine and a rear geartrain Cummins 4.5 knockoff? 

The reason I ask is I'm working on a 580SM Series 2 that has had 2 rear main seals in after a rebuild and both leaked.  Im hopefully assuming that some error was made.  Now I am just doing my due diligence to be sure everything is right. 

Parts catalog calls for a 4890833 unitized seal, which looks to be a Cummins part. 

Service manual calls for a Case #380000664 installer.   Will a traditional Cummins installer part #3164660 work? (According to the seal installer sales literature it will work with that seal) 

The trick to those type of seals, is to press the rotating part the same distance as the stationary part

Your tool has steps machined to center the two parts of the seal (side to side), so they do not rub and make heat

Check your seal and tool before installation, to see that the two parts stay centered (sideways) when pressed against the tool -- this will insure that the rotating parts do not touch on the sides

I would think the Cummins tool would work, but check the seal against the tool and see if the parts stay centered  -- you need the side clearance in the seal so crankshaft movement will not cause the seal to bind up

16 hours ago, HydroTek said:

The trick to those type of seals, is to press the rotating part the same distance as the stationary part

Your tool has steps machined to center the two parts of the seal (side to side), so they do not rub and make heat

Check your seal and tool before installation, to see that the two parts stay centered (sideways) when pressed against the tool -- this will insure that the rotating parts do not touch on the sides

I would think the Cummins tool would work, but check the seal against the tool and see if the parts stay centered  -- you need the side clearance in the seal so crankshaft movement will not cause the seal to bind up

Something definately happened to it, just not sure what.  Will have to get it out Monday.  Appears installed correctly, just wonder if it's too deep.  

20230519_140120.jpg

I made an adapter to use with my Cummins B series rear main tool. Basically just a distant ring to keep from installing seal to deep and a counter step to keep seal lips centered in unitized wear ring. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Something definately happened to it, just not sure what.  Will have to get it out Monday.  Appears installed correctly, just wonder if it's too deep.  

20230519_140120.jpg

Check your back housing bolts for leakage also. Can’t really tell in the pictures but the odd rear main leak like that sometimes comes from leaking flywheel bolts that are drilled through crank flange, bell housing bolts leaking of through holes and sometimes a gasket split and leaking out dowel pin hole or machined hole in casting. Fix an ihc engine 404 or 446 years ago that needed flywheel bolts sealed. A 6v92 Detroit we overhauled and split rear housing gaskets gave us fits years ago and some jds leak on seal adapter. So just check it all over good.

10 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Check your back housing bolts for leakage also. Can’t really tell in the pictures but the odd rear main leak like that sometimes comes from leaking flywheel bolts that are drilled through crank flange, bell housing bolts leaking of through holes and sometimes a gasket split and leaking out dowel pin hole or machined hole in casting. Fix an ihc engine 404 or 446 years ago that needed flywheel bolts sealed. A 6v92 Detroit we overhauled and split rear housing gaskets gave us fits years ago and some jds leak on seal adapter. So just check it all over good.

This thing leaked considerably, almost a fast drip.  Something happened to this seal as you see the piece sticking through it.  I'm assuming its part of the sealing lip from inside (this is a unitized seal)

Those cartridge seals are just a regular lip seal in a fancy housing -- some are standard rubber and some are the teflon  type -- even some are multi-lip design

Any of you that have front wheel assist tractors will have these type seals on the front planetary hubs 

Pull it apart and you will see -- the main consideration is to get the seal and race centered as best as you can -- pressing the two parts with a wrong tool can cause the parts to rub and heat up -- this will melt the seal lip

9 hours ago, HydroTek said:

Those cartridge seals are just a regular lip seal in a fancy housing -- some are standard rubber and some are the teflon  type -- even some are multi-lip design

Any of you that have front wheel assist tractors will have these type seals on the front planetary hubs 

Pull it apart and you will see -- the main consideration is to get the seal and race centered as best as you can -- pressing the two parts with a wrong tool can cause the parts to rub and heat up -- this will melt the seal lip

Does this engine use a dowel aligned flywheel housing?  Another consideration causing a misalignment.   Seen misalignments with the seal carrier designs cause issues like that.  

Going to try this tool.  Pretty slick its removal and installation in one.  

Screenshot_20230520-093416_Chrome.jpg