Jump to content

Swap engine


derek o

Recommended Posts

Ok so I want a six speed diesel engine like 200 hp?

 

The engine that came out of this thing was a V8 maybe it's not a 501 it's a V8 it's a elephant I'll have to look harder to see what the motor is I guess I had put a for barrel Edelbrock on it it had a holly 4 barrel on it but that's what I want to find is a 6 speed diesel engine with like 200 horsepower

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best deal on a diesel engine in the USA is a school bus. Most are swapped out due to age not wear and tear. Purchase the bus at a Government auction. Almost all are going to be automatics, the Cummins B,C, L (C and L are real truck motors with wet sleeves) or  Cat C7 and INT DT360 or DT466 are the most common. The odd-wad is the Benz. The whole bus yellow paint on it and decent tires can be had for less than $2000, with running miles still on it. I would stay away from a pickup diesel unless there is a special reason. School buses are always professionally maintained and operated.  Purchase the buss, make the conversion, and give away the rest as a pig feed storage unit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, oleman said:

The best deal on a diesel engine in the USA is a school bus. Most are swapped out due to age not wear and tear. Purchase the bus at a Government auction. Almost all are going to be automatics, the Cummins B,C, L (C and L are real truck motors with wet sleeves) or  Cat C7 and INT DT360 or DT466 are the most common. The odd-wad is the Benz. The whole bus yellow paint on it and decent tires can be had for less than $2000, with running miles still on it. I would stay away from a pickup diesel unless there is a special reason. School buses are always professionally maintained and operated.  Purchase the buss, make the conversion, and give away the rest as a pig feed storage unit. 

This idea seems like a winner to me.  Lots of older IH’s and other 90’s era busses still had non-OD transmissions though.  The rear end ratio of that truck is probably pretty low.   Depends on what speed you are looking for.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know - I suppose a school bus diesel runs at 2200 to 2400 max comfortably.  Not sure where the big old gas v8’s ran, but guessing 2800?  Total guess though.

All those old trucks were geared for 55mph speed limits.  It all comes down to his rear end gear ratio, which I guess is pretty slow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another issue is the typical school bus or pickup automatic will not have a pto installed (?) on the automatic to run hydraulics.  Someone with the Bus Allison knowledge would have to evaluate. Our Gillig 2001 Transit Bus rear engine based RV with a VOITH (German) bus automatic and the 250HP ISC Cummins has no provision (that I have found) for a PTO.   BUT all AT545 at least should have a port for the PTO but could be an expensive item (?).  I specifically left out the transit bus because it normally will run up 500,000 miles prior to going out of service, It starts out very costly so Cities run them until where is no skin left. They are 24 VDC diesel start, air ride, air brakes, over 250 HP, lots of stainless steel in frame and fiberglass and aluminum in body, and cost tax payers over $400,000 each currently. 

Keep us posted you have an interesting project underway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2023 at 11:44 AM, oleman said:

Another issue is the typical school bus or pickup automatic will not have a pto installed (?) on the automatic to run hydraulics.

Very easy to hang a hyd pump with electric clutch on the engine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2023 at 9:39 AM, Binderoid said:

Yes. He’s gonna needs the injector driver and maybe the PCM from whatever that motor came out of.

That's why we purchase the whole yellow bus, most on a government auction, will be drivable or at least have a record of repairs.

A word of warning, the worst engine made by IHC in the 60's was probably  better engine than a T444, even the lowly DV550/9 liter.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oleman said:

A word of warning, the worst engine made by IHC in the 60's was probably  better engine than a T444, even the lowly DV550/9 liter.

I’m not sure about that. I have seen 7.3’s with more miles than a person could even comprehend in the 60’s. Pickups with 500,000+ on the original engine was unheard of until relatively recently. You could make the argument that engines have gone downhill since the T444, though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started driving bus for a Northern Mn school district in 2007. I substituted for one guy a lot. The bus was a 1999 International 72 passenger bus with the T444. A couple of years later I became a regular route driver, so I never drove the 99 again until 2018. It had been a spare bus since 2011. In 2018 my regular bus went down and I drove the 99 for a month. The bus was badly rusted, but that engine ran like a top. It had never had anything done to it but regular maintenance.

DWF

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about a big block V8 from the 70’s or 80’s MDT trucks?  Like a 366/427 Chev or a 370 or 429 Ford?  
 

It would be your quick fix, especially if you got the trans and PTO as well?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...