2023 crop pics

totes or barrels are the only way to handle liberty way nicer the jugs are such an pain in the a$$ size they suck trying to split them in my chem handler 

yes canola seems to be getting more and more expensive, simple to grow, alot of guys got rid of the pulse crops and put more canola in again i grow the Proven canola from nutrien i personally think its just as good or better than invigor and a bit easier on the pocketbook 

not much for rain here 3.5 tenth about a week ago and a sidewalk wetter today to put an damper on the spraying 

was seeding barley in dads big slough i got most of it but was starting to slip quite abit getting near the middle so i shutt'er down for the night, radio and forcast keep predicting rain so see what happens 

11 hours ago, wheatking said:

totes or barrels are the only way to handle liberty way nicer the jugs are such an pain in the a$$ size they suck trying to split them in my chem handler 

yes canola seems to be getting more and more expensive, simple to grow, alot of guys got rid of the pulse crops and put more canola in again i grow the Proven canola from nutrien i personally think its just as good or better than invigor and a bit easier on the pocketbook 

not much for rain here 3.5 tenth about a week ago and a sidewalk wetter today to put an damper on the spraying 

was seeding barley in dads big slough i got most of it but was starting to slip quite abit getting near the middle so i shutt'er down for the night, radio and forcast keep predicting rain so see what happens 

We’ve stuck with jugs over the years just for mixing convenience.  We have just enough acres that we could use totes but I haven’t come up with a good way for measuring it out. Could pump it into the chem handler as it has the measure on the side but I don’t know how accurate that is either if it’s not level it will be off some. Always figured it would be a pain rinsing barrels as we’d need 2 to a tank. Sprayer would be full before I got everything rinsed really good. Alway open to suggestions though as to what others are doing. 

Had a half a inch or so of rain last night again. Pretty good little storm rolled in at about 8:00 last night. Heavier rain further west I think.  Looked kind of ugly as it rolled in. 

6BE6DC0B-1F2A-44DD-AA12-64D843D77403.jpeg

606D5094-CF4F-4C5E-97ED-7F8A89D7A5C2.jpeg

isn't liberty a barrel per 800 gallons?, i usually use totes since there is so much product to handle I've never rinsed out the totes or barrels they usually refill them so rinsing isn't a thing or maybe I've been doing it wrong 

i think the whole province but me got rain last night still dry here continue seeding the slough i guess maybe get a tank or 2 out on the peas  

6 hours ago, wheatking said:

isn't liberty a barrel per 800 gallons?, i usually use totes since there is so much product to handle I've never rinsed out the totes or barrels they usually refill them so rinsing isn't a thing or maybe I've been doing it wrong 

i think the whole province but me got rain last night still dry here continue seeding the slough i guess maybe get a tank or 2 out on the peas  

Essentially yes. 80 acres to a barrel 320 to a tote if I remember correctly. We haven’t been putting on a full 10 gallons. At 7 we can do a quarter section on one tank. Was debating trying some at 10 this year but not sure. Was also looking at putting new tips on the sprayer.  No idea how many thousands of acres are on these. I’m sure I’ve sprayed close to 40,000 acres since we got the sprayer. Probably over due for a set lol. 

Hot and humid here now so it could easily brew up another storm. Wouldn’t mind some nice calm sunny days now in the mid to low 20°C for the next week to 10 days. Not asking for much am I? Lol. 

Hardly any rain in May but then we got over 4 inches in the past 24 hours here. I imagine there will be some crop under water in the low spots. Its feast or famine when it comes to rain it seems. 

IMG_4711[1].JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Hardly any rain in May but then we got over 4 inches in the past 24 hours here. I imagine there will be some crop under water in the low spots. Its feast or famine when it comes to rain it seems. 

IMG_4711[1].JPG

Those new tires might come in pretty handy now for spraying if that keeps up. Weather network is saying 1/2-3/4” here for the next 24 hours.  Fields are still pretty dry here. Any rain we get disappears awfully quick so far.  Even in our yard the water puddles had almost disappeared overnight.  Hopefully we continue to get a few timely showers through the summer.  We don’t need a lot of rain if we get it at the right time. 4 inches all summer here will grow a very heavy crop if it comes at the right times. Like you say it seems to go from one extreme to another though. 

10 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

We don’t need a lot of rain if we get it at the right time. 4 inches all summer here will grow a very heavy crop if it comes at the right times. Like you say it seems to go from one extreme to another though. 

Gauge showing 6.5 inches this morning since Thursday night. We went from needing rain to now needing it to stop. Sunny this morning but still chance of more thunder showers. Yes, definitely will be four wheel drive spraying. Hope the leaking head gasket on the magnum holds out. 

IMG_4720[1].JPG

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Gauge showing 6.5 inches this morning since Thursday night. We went from needing rain to now needing it to stop. Sunny this morning but still chance of more thunder showers. Yes, definitely will be four wheel drive spraying. Hope the leaking head gasket on the magnum holds out. 

IMG_4720[1].JPG

I must’ve missed that part. Didn’t know you were having issues. Best product I could recommend is called irontite. It won’t settle out and plug heater cores or cause issues like that. Couple bottles might bandaid it over till you can get it fixed properly.  

Ended up with another couple tenths here. Just enough to make the yard muddy again. 

2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I must’ve missed that part. Didn’t know you were having issues. Best product I could recommend is called irontite. It won’t settle out and plug heater cores or cause issues like that. Couple bottles might bandaid it over till you can get it fixed properly.  

Ended up with another couple tenths here. Just enough to make the yard muddy again. 

I've never mentioned it but the head has been leaking at the front for a while now. I actually have a bottle of Irontite to add next time I run it. Those Magnums must have had weak gaskets. Had to do the exhaust manifold gasket about ten years ago and now this. 

Got some field inspection done this morning and its a bit worse than expected. Many sloughs full as well as seeded ground flooded. Washouts between sloughs. Did not get to the canola to see if the plants are smashed into the mud but maybe best to wait. Got some drone and driving video I might get uploaded to the yt channel later tonight. Got a tornado watch on here now. 

DJI_0110.JPG

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I've never mentioned it but the head has been leaking at the front for a while now. I actually have a bottle of Irontite to add next time I run it. Those Magnums must have had weak gaskets. Had to do the exhaust manifold gasket about ten years ago and now this. 

Got some field inspection done this morning and its a bit worse than expected. Many sloughs full as well as seeded ground flooded. Washouts between sloughs. Did not get to the canola to see if the plants are smashed into the mud but maybe best to wait. Got some drone and driving video I might get uploaded to the yt channel later tonight. Got a tornado watch on here now. 

DJI_0110.JPG

Just a thunderstorm watch here so far.  It’s horribly humid out though. Temp is plenty high too. Walk out the door and you just start dripping sweat.  Not my favorite conditions that’s for sure. Sucks to have that much rain come at once that’s for sure. Drought is no fun either but mud has a whole other set of problems that can be just as frustrating. 

Still dry in parts of Alberta really patchy on what areas are getting moisture, not smoking out the US anymore though

• Like 1

Went out in the quad tonight to check for flea beetles on my canola that I haven’t sprayed again yet. Canola seems to be growing through it so I’m thinking I might be ok. Going to keep a close eye on it for a few more days yet though. So far the damage seems very minimal.  Crops starting to show up in rows now where you don’t have to get down on your hands and knees to see it at least. Sure makes a difference where there’s no straw too. Seems to shoot  you a lot quicker.  If the straw wasn’t so valuable I’d burn it off.  Do that a couple years in a row and you can sure tell the difference in the dirt.  Came home through the bush after checking my canola and that turned out to be kind of a mistake. Skies opened up on me and I got completely soaked. Huge rain drops for about 15-20 minutes. Waited in the bush for a little bit when I got back to the road and then went to our north quarter to have a look at the wheat. It’s still progressing pretty nice on the sand. It’s much heavier down in the swamp but for the sand I’ll take it. As long as it keeps coming along anyways. Hoping to start spraying early this coming week. Need to scout some fields and make a list of what weeds are coming then make some decisions on chemical. 

CB6748B0-4514-48DE-8910-89A1E18BCBB5.jpeg

EAFDB75B-97C7-4B89-AA64-A4F9B7CAB179.jpeg

B82C73BC-1ACD-4947-9B94-E13EBAD85541.jpeg

A87A681F-8012-415A-B7BE-6D769287A4A2.jpeg

78826295-CE88-4936-A9AF-EC04C409D029.png

88FB6246-F571-4053-9583-0B97B4F8A77A.jpeg

• Like 2

must be nice to get all this rain, the forecast had everything from 5=10 to 15-25 mm in the forecast this weekend and we ended up with a tenth, although town got 7 tenth in a freak shower 

was in a panic to finish getting the peas sprayed cause we all thought it was gonna be wet for a few days, crop is slowing down in growing so may be a few days till we spray something again 

1 hour ago, wheatking said:

must be nice to get all this rain, the forecast had everything from 5=10 to 15-25 mm in the forecast this weekend and we ended up with a tenth, although town got 7 tenth in a freak shower 

was in a panic to finish getting the peas sprayed cause we all thought it was gonna be wet for a few days, crop is slowing down in growing so may be a few days till we spray something again 

We’ve been missing the bulk of it too. Didn’t rain a drop at home at all till after I went to bed again. Was just a little shower and then it was over. This humidity is awful though. I’ll take snow over this crap almost any day. Only problem is I can’t grow a crop in snow lol.  Total rainfall for the farm since the snow went is around 1.5 inches now. Venture out a little ways and they’re up to 7 inches now just south of us. Rain is following the snow from last winter though. Bulk of it is staying further south it seems. 

4 hours ago, wheatking said:

Its nice to get "some" rain but six and a half inches at once can be a problem. The washouts in the field and the flooded low spots. I'll either be late spraying, driving around a lot of potholes or leaving massive ruts. Or maybe all three. 

• Like 1

IMG_6785.jpeg

IMG_6784.jpeg

IMG_6783.jpeg

I dont take too many pics of the farming but here we started top dressing today.  First we rounded up all the leftover drill blend from the drills and tender and I put that on some recrop barley.  Next we are top dressing some of the wheat and durum with 50-0-0-10.  Everything looks green for the moment.  We had good snow and runoff to get off of a good start.  Since April we really haven’t had a big rain.  Been averaging around 2 tenths to 4 tenths every 10 days.  That’s good for the crops and but not enough for the hay especially the dry land alfalfa.  Unless we get a big soaker there is a lot of dry land alfalfa we won’t cut. 

• Like 4

Got started on the canola today. Picked up a bunch of liberty and assure yesterday but it was hot enough out I held off starting till today. Coop didn’t have all the chemical we needed for the cereals so they were supposed to bring it out this afternoon.  Doesn’t looks like much in the pile bit the jugs are pretty much all 80 acres to a jug now.  They forgot to send the mcpa ester I needed for the one mix though so we ended up having to run back in tonight again to pick that up. Had the sprayer all cleaned out ready to go on barley and realized they’d shorted us so the day was cut short a bit.  Pic of the cereals is from a couple days ago already. It’s pretty much coveted the canola stubble now. Needs to be sprayed hopefully get it done tomorrow.  Then go back into my canola Saturday hopefully. First pass will be all done then. Really hoping we don’t have to go over anything again. Putting it on pretty heavy in hopes of getting a good kill. Haven’t cheaper out on any chem this year that’s for sure.  Slough I brush last fall was still pretty squishy where I filled it in. Went into it with a full tank and it pulled awfully hard through there. Not a pile of canola coming but it should fill in over the next few weeks. Some of it got packed down and trampled when I went back out to seed some more after we got done seeding. 

53BEDDDB-80D2-4D67-8274-E901524E17EF.jpeg

433429B2-DCA5-46B2-B98D-A5D69093B387.jpeg

5A71706E-BE0C-4375-A1F4-57D847C043DA.jpeg

5E6CEA6F-5940-41DB-9014-D380E8528079.jpeg

F195771C-F635-47E2-9F32-BF079C15E7D8.jpeg

• Like 2

Got all of the cereals sprayed today.  Only thing left now is my canola. Some is close to home and some is 10 miles away. Probably have to run home with the sprayer to refill so that will eat up some time but hopefully will be all done by tomorrow night. If I decide to spray the last field anyways. Still not much for weeds in it but the canola is starting to get pretty big already so I can’t leave it to much longer.  Could sure use a rain again pretty soon. The wheat on the sand has really started to burn off in this heat the last week. It’s still alive but it’s pretty yellow looking right now.  Overall things are looking pretty good yet though. Just hope they continue to progress that way.  Snapped a quick pic whole I was up at the community well tonight too  was nice up in the bush till the mosquitoes came out  

73308103-3604-4EE9-B105-671E9203D9B9.thumb.jpeg.4aad8f033b549172a4a3acda9acda0ab.jpeg

A737A19C-3B98-40F0-8D47-66CA656241F2.jpeg

47A9F353-F5A1-4E98-A2DD-CE28BB7229CA.jpeg

CB54936B-2C38-436F-83FF-466C3BFD2F8F.jpeg

CC524617-AAC8-4F60-A120-40E7F98686A6.jpeg

A2A90C62-45FB-443B-978E-512630E0AF8A.jpeg

2F2AA7F5-9E77-41B3-ABB6-71F12CCD1095.jpeg

• Like 3

Finished spraying for now at least. Hopefully no more till fall time now but who knows. Still fungicides insecticides and the chance of respraying canola yet. Canola should be bolting in 7-10 days though so hopefully we can sneak through on one pass. 

C52E059B-DC8C-4892-8452-030056AFBBCA.jpeg

• Like 1

That is some nice canola too. I think this has been one of the best springs for crop emergence here. I took this pic today at the edge of my latest seeded canola. Should probably think about getting back to spraying. 

IMG_4753[1].JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Loadstar said:

That is some nice canola too. I think this has been one of the best springs for crop emergence here. I took this pic today at the edge of my latest seeded canola. Should probably think about getting back to spraying. 

IMG_4753[1].JPG

Should fill in quite nicely there Ralph. 

Emergence is very sporadic here depending on field conditions. Guys that worked the fields last fall or seeded canola on canola the emergence was very slow and somewhat patchy. It’s coming now after the rains but ironically the guys that seeded 2 weeks ago and just caught that Inch or so of rain here are actually ahead of some of the earlier seeded fields that were dry.  Skill or luck or what ever it is ours came up fairly nice this year. Mine is a bit better then dads I believe as I harrowed all mine twice before I seeded it. Hard to compare the sandier quarter to the rest but the stuff at home is just a little bit thinner and maybe slightly behind with the extra straw cover.  Happy with how it all looks though just wish we could get another inch or so of rain right away. All that hot weather really sucked up the moisture this week.  Sure was nice for spraying though. Some of the best weather we’ve ever had. Never stopped for wind or rain or anything just went straight through. Truthfully I don’t think we’ve ever been done this early. 

14 hours ago, Loadstar said:

IMG_4753[1].JPG

Tell us about the car.