2023 crop pics

We could sure use a rain here to get the canola going. Have some seeded pretty shallow and it’s going to need some moisture to germinate I’m afraid. Wheat and barley is coming up already though on the other hand. 

Have to move out to my rented land further away from home first thing in the morning. Was out and harrowed it all twice today. Down to the last bit now so hopefully it all goes smoothly and I can finish up by Friday night.  Friday has been my goal all along but I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Might run low of fertilizer. The phosphate sulpher blend might be hard to get now. Heard some talk today about a shortage already. Might be short a bag or two of canola too unfortunately.  Rate has been inconsistent this year for some reason. Put all new seals on the tank as it wasn’t presiding up like it should be. Helped some maybe but it’s still variable. 

B8814EBC-88C5-414E-9F17-1F38364ACAD7.jpeg

C301BEC1-750B-4AF9-8FC6-3548B31E6CC8.jpeg

947BDFD7-9C5B-409D-9355-83AC0A1B84E0.jpeg

CDC6D540-ADA6-4547-A78B-AEECE0A24141.jpeg

• Like 2

Well it’s all in the ground now. Up to Mother Nature now if I’m rich or in the poor house again lol.  Last 30 acres took all day to get seeded. Started out at 9:00 or so this morning and made 2 rounds around the little triangle field. Stopped to check on the canola left in the cart and discovered the main line off the air cart had snapped off. Hope it had just happened when I turned or I’ll have some check strips on the field.  Still had canola coming down the rows right up to where I turned so thinking it’s ok and I got lucky that I stopped.  Went to the truck to get tools to take the line off and discovered dad had locked the bloody keys in the ignition. 9 miles from home. I had my cell phone yet but mom and dads was locked in the truck. Managed to gather up enough things to get the door unlocked. Had a felling wedge in the tractor for holding the hydraulic leaver in place otherwise I’d have been screwed.  Took my radio antenna off and tried to push the unlock button but couldn’t quite get there. Mom went to the closest house and got a couple cloths hangers but they were to soft. Couldnt push hard enough on the button. Had a brazing rod in the tractor so I made a hook on the end and was able to fish it in closer to the actual lock and pull it up with it finally. Took close to 45 minutes though. Finally got going with a new hose around 2:00 again. Everything’s back home again now is the main thing though. Always sketchy moving on that road as it’s very narrow with steep ditches. Air drill pretty much takes up the whole road.  Pile of traffic as it’s on the local reserve. Most people are good but you get a few who try to push there way by or around you. 

58552071-BA6A-46DA-B690-718A5F21BA48.jpeg

4FCB1576-66AA-45CB-925B-329A4ACF01F0.jpeg

F911AC88-733B-49A9-875B-4AF78F7A67C5.jpeg

7AABBCD7-E8A7-47E7-96E5-C26789DFD7DA.jpeg

253206F9-5A6A-4E71-8EA6-12432FC90B83.jpeg

B9C37604-3911-4FD2-B469-D975B16E3666.jpeg

3B075242-E350-4619-ACC9-1A8D33C9C8E2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good deal it was going so good you knew something was in store today 😁 hope there was no bad talk being so close to Mothers Day? 🤣

Might get some moisture this weekend 🙏 smoke might stunt emergence

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

Good deal it was going so good you knew something was in store today 😁 hope there was no bad talk being so close to Mothers Day? 🤣

Might get some moisture this weekend 🙏 smoke might stunt emergence

There was a few choice words alright. I got over it though and focused on getting it open again.   I knew I’d get it eventually just needed to hit it just right. Few years ago I think the smoke actually helped save our crops some. Was a awfully hot summer with lots of fires but it was so overcast with smoke the sun didn’t burn things up as bad. 

First canola is just starting to poke up now. Week tomorrow afternoon that it’s been in. It’s on sand though and is definitely going to need some moisture to get it going. This was on some better soil. Wasn’t anything up yet where it’s really sandy. 

1F27D105-0640-4E09-A377-9DC572344A55.png

• Like 1

wasn't to good of a day here the hydraulic motor for the fan always had a bit of a drip but nothing to crazy so ive been running it well last night it was really making a mess and i could tell some was sucking into the fan itself into the system so i located the hydraulic motor , cried after i wrote the cheque only to get home and i could not get the hub off the old motor shaft ( its a dual fan set up and runs by 4 little belts) i ended up cracking the hub only worse to find out a new one doesn't even exist in Canada so i was hooped went to a few machine shops and part stores no one had anything like it especially being the long weekend so we made the decision to get ol faithful ready, my old drill, we've had it for sale for 6 month and it never sold so i hooked up swapped the monitors and a few hoses and air in tires and i think we ready for the field in the morning 

so never got really any feild work other and 1 tank in the sprayer sprayed out and checked a few early seeded stuff the peas are up and 3 durum feilds 2 are just sprouting and getting going and one is out of the ground in nice rows go figure that one 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, wheatking said:

wasn't to good of a day here the hydraulic motor for the fan always had a bit of a drip but nothing to crazy so ive been running it well last night it was really making a mess and i could tell some was sucking into the fan itself into the system so i located the hydraulic motor , cried after i wrote the cheque only to get home and i could not get the hub off the old motor shaft ( its a dual fan set up and runs by 4 little belts) i ended up cracking the hub only worse to find out a new one doesn't even exist in Canada so i was hooped went to a few machine shops and part stores no one had anything like it especially being the long weekend so we made the decision to get ol faithful ready, my old drill, we've had it for sale for 6 month and it never sold so i hooked up swapped the monitors and a few hoses and air in tires and i think we ready for the field in the morning 

so never got really any feild work other and 1 tank in the sprayer sprayed out and checked a few early seeded stuff the peas are up and 3 durum feilds 2 are just sprouting and getting going and one is out of the ground in nice rows go figure that one 

That’s no fun that’s for sure. Went through the same thing basically when we got our current drill. Fan motor was piled up even though they said it was running. Same thing went to take the fan off and the hub was seized up solid to the shaft. Fan and hub as I recall are balanced as a assembly so we got a whole new unit again. That wasn’t cheap either. Oil in the fan does make a awful mess from what I’ve heard. Seems to me Coke cola was a highly recommended liquid to clean the oil out. Seems unlikely but who knows.  Good thing you still had old faithful there to keep going. Almost never fails though if you’re going to break down it’ll be on a Sunday, or worse a long weekend.  

Went out for a little quad ride tonight and did a little crop checking. Cereals are coming up pretty good now. Canola is still just poking through. No signs of flea beetles yet. Hopefully it stays that way.  Went up to the river afterwards just to have a look. Still pretty low. Water is pretty clear too for this time of the year.  Still a little bit of ice along the edges. 

2D52F5C0-FE44-41D6-993B-D4F4DEFEFDB1.jpeg

BC70D159-7B9D-420F-94FF-69C382340005.jpeg

B8453FB8-16B9-47CB-8FA0-FBE32E3C702C.jpeg

2E4357AA-2483-42D7-81C1-4FE03F05AFC5.jpeg

37163271-62CE-477C-9CDA-449ED85B648B.jpeg

046BE520-3F07-4504-B626-8CBBD71359CD.jpeg

A97E7182-63B8-4F9B-87D6-E00B680C0009.jpeg

A1B9E4B6-E3B5-42E1-87C9-396DBA38BBBC.jpeg

• Like 5

Well we ended up with around 3/4” of rain yesterday. Not as much as everyone around us but still very happy to get it. Canola should come up pretty good now hopefully. It’s pushing through but this rain should help it big time. Wheat and barley are doing pretty good. Wheat looks really nice, barley is a little bit thinner and shorter but it’s coming along. Wont be long and we’ll be incrop spraying. 

0277BED0-6338-45BC-86C8-DFBE098C5756.jpeg

E22E5093-C663-42C8-97D6-E1845A868CF2.jpeg

019AF675-A30C-40B5-A336-858A25CA5E5D.jpeg

80DE87DD-51C1-4744-9421-411D404CA59E.jpeg

DC0F2CB8-A1CB-4B97-988A-F5F244AD8282.jpeg

• Like 3

Drove up to our north quarter to have a look at the sand and see how things were doing.  Coming up fairly good considering that some of that is pure sand. This rain should really help get it established hopefully.  Went up to the forest for a little bit after and had a look around. Ran into a large group of bear hunters.  They were up in some of the areas I usually go to including my grandfathers old sawmill sight so I kind of avoided the area to a certain degree. Would’ve walked down to the river but didn’t want to come upon a hungry bear. I can’t run as fast as I used to lol.  Need to go back up one day with a chainsaw and do a little bit of clearing again. Winds knocked down some pretty good sized trees on one part of the trail. 

C6653B76-7F83-49F9-8F27-E0566DD99DD5.jpeg

7CDD5160-3CEC-44C7-A95E-5D254D5C4F07.jpeg

AF8C660B-873E-47E5-B34B-691073844610.jpeg

619BA3F8-FF19-4F69-8C01-44F106F3E817.jpeg

0C5A41F7-D33C-411A-892B-E79F6CB3A881.jpeg

D0350C95-D1F1-4E76-88CD-0192DB6BF892.jpeg

Almost looks like beach sand in that field! Nice looking country up there!

We are really drying out in my part of MN!! We have some fields that may not germinate the beans until we get rain?! Some ground is so hard and dry it won’t break apart, baseball to softball size clods that just won’t break

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farmall1066 said:

Almost looks like beach sand in that field! Nice looking country up there!

We are really drying out in my part of MN!! We have some fields that may not germinate the beans until we get rain?! Some ground is so hard and dry it won’t break apart, baseball to softball size clods that just won’t break

It really is like beach sand. It’s surprising it will grow anything to be honest.  The rest of the quarter isn’t that bad but there’s around 40 acres on that quarter that’s really bad. Some of that we don’t even bother to seed. Through the swamp it’s all peat moss so it produces very good providing it’s not to wet. Was supposed to be canola on the sand this year but decided to try wheat again. Try and get a tiny bit of organic material back in the soil again. Wish we had a whole bunch of manure to spread on it. 

Hopefully you’ll get some moisture soon. 

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

Do they bait bears in Sask?

Should almost try potatoes in the sand?

Most guys set out bait. Some newer rules about not being able to put out any animal carcasses though unless it’s pieces from a butchers shop.  Lots of guys used to always use old beavers. Apparently draws the bears in something fierce.  Never tried beer hunting myself but there’s lots of guys that do. Numbers are way up the last few years so it’s a lot easier to find them now too. We have 3 bear Cubs on our north quarter. Have seen them a few times now this spring. It’s kind of our own little wildlife sanctuary lol. No one hunts on it and the other neighbors post their land so the animals feel pretty safe there. Borders up against the forest as well with no road access so there’s quite a few acres of untamed wilderness. 

Not sure how potatoes would do. Always assumed they needed lots of water.  Used to be a garden at the old yard site there and it always produced but it wasn’t in the pure sand either. 

Just got back in a little bit ago. Started spraying the canola after 5:00 as the beetles aren’t out in the heat of the day as much. Finished it all off just a few minutes before 11:00. Haven’t gone over some of mine again as it was sprayed last week and so far looks good. Going to have to keep a eye on it though. Have chemical here on hand ready for it at least. 

EF1A7D4C-5A7D-42AF-B9B7-4F82EC3E3807.jpeg

9BCD0D58-57A5-4702-88D5-E215E766DF7B.png

F49486C5-8127-4F1C-B9C5-353CA61595E4.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acem said:

I haven't seen any canola grown here in decades. I remember some neighbors growing it back in the 80s?

It was very pretty when blooming.

Middle of July the countryside is almost all yellow here. Pile of canola grown in thIs area. Some guys are growing in continually which isn’t the best either in my opinion.  It’s been a decent cash crop over the years but like everything it’s getting so expensive to grow the return isn’t as good as it once was. Prices are falling pretty steadily now too. 18-20$ a bu canola east last winter is now 14-15. New crop is 12-13.  Need a pretty good crop to make any money with the cost of everything. 

• Like 1

finished up the bulk of the seeding yesterday, some sloughs to do yet but they say rain is on the way so who knows what will happen

new drill did quite well other than the hydraulic fan motor and 4 tires, crops coming really well, our canola is moving along fast enough the flea beetles haven't been a problem yet anyways a buddy was tell me he was having flea beetles come out of the field beside it canola stubble, the peas will be ready to spray in a couple days which is a first for me crop spraying this early,

yes grain prices dropping have me worried a slight bit but should work out ok i think, i haven't been buying over priced land or iron so should to alright 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wheatking said:

finished up the bulk of the seeding yesterday, some sloughs to do yet but they say rain is on the way so who knows what will happen

new drill did quite well other than the hydraulic fan motor and 4 tires, crops coming really well, our canola is moving along fast enough the flea beetles haven't been a problem yet anyways a buddy was tell me he was having flea beetles come out of the field beside it canola stubble, the peas will be ready to spray in a couple days which is a first for me crop spraying this early,

yes grain prices dropping have me worried a slight bit but should work out ok i think, i haven't been buying over priced land or iron so should to alright 

Good to hear. Have you guys been getting much for rain? 

We didn’t get drunk on 20$ canola either but there’s a pile of guys who did. 100$ a acre rent or more million dollar tractors and combines and of course a brand new shinny pickup to go with it lol.  Land has been selling very high around here too. Sadly I don’t think that will change a lot unless things get really depressed again.  80tys things sure took a hit. Took till the mid 90tys early 2000’s before land prices started to get back to where they were again.  

14 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Middle of July the countryside is almost all yellow here  Need a pretty good crop to make any money with the cost of everything. 

Like the nearly $80 per acre seed cost of canola. Never dreamed I'd be able to carry $800 worth of canola seed up the ladder of the air seeder but I do. 

I've missed out on this thread with the busy spring that its been but I'll just throw in this pic from this morning of the Liberty link canola I planted on the May long weekend. Its the lowest seeding rate ever and yet its looking pretty good. My first time ever trying LL canola. Glyphosate resistant Kochia is becoming a problem. 

IMG_4704[1].JPG

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Like the nearly $80 per acre seed cost of canola. Never dreamed I'd be able to carry $800 worth of canola seed up the ladder of the air seeder but I do. 

I've missed out on this thread with the busy spring that its been but I'll just throw in this pic from this morning of the Liberty link canola I planted on the May long weekend. Its the lowest seeding rate ever and yet its looking pretty good. My first time ever trying LL canola. Glyphosate resistant Kochia is becoming a problem. 

IMG_4704[1].JPG

I like the in Invigor line up but just wait till you start lugging liberty jugs around lol.

Yes it’s crazy how the prices have gone. Our was a little cheaper but still expensive. There’s some out there up to 1,000$ a bag now or close to.  Might go out and spray my canola tonight just for peace of mind. It’s a further away from home so a bit of a pain. I have the chemical here already though so it’s very tempting.