38” Cast Centers

These are not wedge lock wheels.  Not sure of the nomenclature but I guess they’re called bolted or clamps?  U shape bolt holds the cast center wheel to the axle.  Central Iowa is bigger crop farming (& therefore IH) country than southern Indiana but I haven’t found 38” cast centers for less then about $700/pair, so that led to my question - is there a cheap fix?  Seems that my answer is no - so buy a good set.  The ones I have I bought on an online auction for $90. I occasionally go across Iowa on I80 so where in Grinnell do I buy a good pair at a fair price?  Thanks everyone for the ideas!

Back in the day dad had a set get loose and wallowed out of square shoulders where the key runs. He had a machine shop square up the wheels the other way and made square pieces to fit.

What I typed makes no sense, Im dog tired.

I'll get a pic...

I can get you some wheels but I'd have to check the price and shipping from Arkansas might be expensive.

12 hours ago, ComancheStarFarms said:

These are not wedge lock wheels.  Not sure of the nomenclature but I guess they’re called bolted or clamps?  U shape bolt holds the cast center wheel to the axle.  Central Iowa is bigger crop farming (& therefore IH) country than southern Indiana but I haven’t found 38” cast centers for less then about $700/pair, so that led to my question - is there a cheap fix?  Seems that my answer is no - so buy a good set.  The ones I have I bought on an online auction for $90. I occasionally go across Iowa on I80 so where in Grinnell do I buy a good pair at a fair price?  Thanks everyone for the ideas!

When you get to Grinnell go another 25-30 miles west. Plenty of parts at Colfax.

4 hours ago, DT Fan said:

When you get to Grinnell go another 25-30 miles west. Plenty of parts at Colfax.

Its a good place to visit if you want to see inventory.

• Like 1

I have never seen a 38 inch center that was not a wedge lock , here in New York anyway.  
I also can’t imagine how much noise must be happening to one axle and wheel (and to go unnoticed) long enough to wear out the key area on a clamp on center. Our 806 use to break a  bolt from time to time when pulling 21’ disks with snap on duals and you knew it pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I have never seen a 38 inch center that was not a wedge lock , here in New York anyway.  
I also can’t imagine how much noise must be happening to one axle and wheel (and to go unnoticed) long enough to wear out the key area on a clamp on center. Our 806 use to break a  bolt from time to time when pulling 21’ disks with snap on duals and you knew it pretty quickly. 

Doesn't wear out really. It breaks out.

2 hours ago, R190 said:

Its a good place to visit if you want to see inventory.

6 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I haven't had a damn bit of luck buying anything off those guys for the last 15 years or so. I call and they never call back or seem to care.

Travis

3 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Never seen or heard of it. Must be from guys running with loose bolts,  that would also be making the same noise

Has more to do with a 7/8" grade 8 bolt not being up to the task. Can break the bolts and take a chunk out of wheel in same revolution.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stronger800 said:

They are out there, and they are a bad idea.  We had a 1066 with them.  Constant check point, are the hubs walking on the axle or any clamp bolts loose or broke?  Seems like something happened that needed attention at least once a year.  And putting band duals on them is a horrible idea.  We also have a 766 that got switched from the 34” centers to 38” centers (clamp).  With 34” rims we never ever had trouble with axle clamps, even with band duals.  Seems the 38s needed a little attention every so often, and they never had duals on. 

29 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

They are out there, and they are a bad idea.  We had a 1066 with them.  Constant check point, are the hubs walking on the axle or any clamp bolts loose or broke?  Seems like something happened that needed attention at least once a year.  And putting band duals on them is a horrible idea.  We also have a 766 that got switched from the 34” centers to 38” centers (clamp).  With 34” rims we never ever had trouble with axle clamps, even with band duals.  Seems the 38s needed a little attention every so often, and they never had duals on. 

I've got a customer with a 1066 that has 38" clamp on centers. This guy can be pretty good at tearing things up, but in 21+ years of owning that tractor, he's never had a problem with the wheels. 
It's not a problem here in central Iowa. We all run duals, carry heavy 3-point equipment, and do it all...

Travis

90% of 1206s had 38" clamp on wheel centers. They were the 1st to really start breaking them especially when they turned up the fuel screw. 1256s & 1066s with 38s were offered with clamp ons or wedgelocks. Most 1066s ive seen with 38" clamp ons were low option tractors and 1 hyd. Youll see them in the south more than the corn belt. There was even the light duty 8 spoke 38" clamp on wheel center that normally came on gassers and they were junk. 

• Like 1

The Clamp-on wheels were more prong to breakage when farmers started using the rim mount duals (junk in my books) Only time I seen problems

Not having any luck finding that wedge update kit that I mentioned -- it replaced the clamp style in the cast wheel centers when the keyway was damaged -- used two bolts to tighten the wedge

Always just had the parts guys bring them to the shop, don't remember the name

I’m shot. We used to break close clamp bolts every so often, and I forget that it did actually crack the wheel one time and we replaced it. That was a long time ago. Tractor doesn’t see heavy work anymore.  Neighborhood had a 1206 for probably 40 years, and  it did have the 38 inch clamp type wheels now that you guys have reminded me. 
I still don’t recall ever seeing them on a 1066 though. 

6 hours ago, Sparky said:

I haven't had a damn bit of luck buying anything off those guys for the last 15 years or so. I call and they never call back or seem to care.

Travis

I have had two good experiences. Took several phone calls, but they still did better than the few local places out my way. Around here they will tell you they don’t have something, but  if you have the time to drive to their yard and look for yourself, you’d usually find whatever you had asked for (But probably not a 38 inch wedge lock).