756 with a 358D

highhopes

I am new to the forum, and new to IH.  Just fooling around on a small farm, making a few acres of hay with old equipment.  I just bought a 756 with a reconditioned 358D in it.  Apparently, this 756 was originally a gas tractor and they replaced it with this engine, which was originally in the 826.  Oh yeah, and it has a turbo.  I bought it because it was a sharp looking tractor, I thought the reconditioned motor would be reliable, I sure like the sound of that turbo!  Any thoughts or concerns any of you would have about a tractor with this setup?  

That is good to hear.  Serial # on the engine starts with 358DF2...I guess I am assuming it came out of an 826... Could it be out of anything else?  I will get some picts this weekend.

Hooked it up to the haybine last night, looking forward to using it for the first time, and the batteries went dead.  Charged them, put a tester on it and I am only getting 11 volts, so looks like a bad alternator. 

late 886, 3088,3288, 782 cotton picker, 1420, and early 1620 combine were a few of the Ag products to also use a 358 along with several on the construction side.

715 Diesel combine would be the most likely source for the engine. Fairly common in the 1980's when worn out obsolete 715 combines with low hour 358's were plentiful. 

How good it is depends on what kind of a job the mechanic who did the conversion did. We considered doing the conversion back in the early 90's, but it just needed so many parts to do it right, that we had no idea how to source at the time... frame rails, front timing cover, rear adapter plate, radiator, and that was just the big pieces... Buying all that new from the dealer, you may as well buy a new tractor. There was no Internet yet.

There is also a way to cut corners, which we eventually did when we were finally fed up with the gas engine breaking over and over, and put a DT360 sans turbo in it. The mechanic who did the work had some connections and creativity, and was able to use the stock frame rails unmodified (hood's 1" too short now), the gas radiator (with a welded up crossover pipe), and an 886 timing cover (which he had machined to fit the smaller 56 series frame rails) because finding one off a 312 was impossible.

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

715 Diesel combine would be the most likely source for the engine. Fairly common in the 1980's when worn out obsolete 715 combines with low hour 358's were plentiful. 

How good it is depends on what kind of a job the mechanic who did the conversion did. We considered doing the conversion back in the early 90's, but it just needed so many parts to do it right, that we had no idea how to source at the time... frame rails, front timing cover, rear adapter plate, radiator, and that was just the big pieces... Buying all that new from the dealer, you may as well buy a new tractor. There was no Internet yet.

There is also a way to cut corners, which we eventually did when we were finally fed up with the gas engine breaking over and over, and put a DT360 sans turbo in it. The mechanic who did the work had some connections and creativity, and was able to use the stock frame rails unmodified (hood's 1" too short now), the gas radiator (with a welded up crossover pipe), and an 886 timing cover (which he had machined to fit the smaller 56 series frame rails) because finding one off a 312 was impossible.

715's were a 310 not 358

• Like 1

7 hours ago, highhopes said:

That is good to hear.  Serial # on the engine starts with 358DF2...I guess I am assuming it came out of an 826... Could it be out of anything else?  I will get some picts this weekend.

The "F" in the engine serial # means that it most likely came out of a combine or cotton picker. 

If it had came out of a tractor, that letter would be a "T".

Travis

11 hours ago, Eason said:

late 886, 3088,3288, 782 cotton picker, 1420, and early 1620 combine were a few of the Ag products to also use a 358 along with several on the construction side.

786 ag tractor too

Pictures attached.

Thanks Travis, I had trouble finding the use codes, but figured someone may know it from that letter.

@Matt Kirsch It makes me a little nervous not being able to talk to the guys who did the work. Guess I took a leap of faith. Hope it works out.

Having alternator trouble...I'm getting voltage at the pole on my alternator, try to energize the diodes, still nothing. Alternator looks new, but I guess it's bad.

I also noticed sometimes my park lock works on a hill, other times I put it in lock and it makes a clicking noise and continues to roll.

PXL_20230505_225946652.jpg

PXL_20230505_230020511.jpg

PXL_20230505_230109206.jpg

PXL_20230505_230124555.jpg

PXL_20230505_230118986~2.jpg

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Seeing the pictures I wouldn't worry about the quality of the job done. If anything they were thorough with the bolts in the bolster. It's not going anywhere... A bolt in every hole.

As long as someone runs those bolts in and out every few years....otherwise there's just more chances of having to drill out a bolt.

Travis

"I also noticed sometimes my park lock works on a hill, other times I put it in lock and it makes a clicking noise and continues to roll."

Better get that fixed NOW, or you will be snapping teeth off the gear that the park lock pawl engages. Until you get it fixed , do not park up or down hill,  park across the hill. Even after it is fixed it is advisable to park across the hill whenever possible.

22 minutes ago, 7and8and1456 said:

"I also noticed sometimes my park lock works on a hill, other times I put it in lock and it makes a clicking noise and continues to roll."

Better get that fixed NOW, or you will be snapping teeth off the gear that the park lock pawl engages. Until you get it fixed , do not park up or down hill,  park across the hill. Even after it is fixed it is advisable to park across the hill whenever possible.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.  I will do that.

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Seeing the pictures I wouldn't worry about the quality of the job done. If anything they were thorough with the bolts in the bolster. It's not going anywhere... A bolt in every hole.

That is encouraging, thank you!

15 hours ago, Eason said:

Late 715's too

• Like 1

I'd like to see a picture of your tractor with the hood removed to understand how it has air cleaner and turbocharger installed. 756 and 826 diesels have the air cleaner access cover on the right side of the hood. On gasoline tractors it is on the left side. Yours remains on left side like a gasoline.

Pictures below that I grabbed off internet, show 756  and 826 diesels for comparative purpose. Apparently the only difference in the two tractors is that 826 with a larger engine( more power and heat) has a larger (taller) radiator and taller steering and gear shifting pedestal needed to match with taller radiator. I had wondered how he got the larger engine under the fuel tank heat shield but I guess that the 358 engine is not any taller than a 310 so it will fit under a stock 756 hood and fuel tank.

Capture 756  #1.JPG

Capture 826.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 7and8and1456 said:

I'd like to see a picture of your tractor with the hood removed to understand how it has air cleaner and turbocharger installed. 756 and 826 diesels have the air cleaner access cover on the right side of the hood. On gasoline tractors it is on the left side. Yours remains on left side like a gasoline.

Pictures below that I grabbed off internet, show 756  and 826 diesels for comparative purpose. Apparently the only difference in the two tractors is that 826 with a larger engine( more power and heat) has a larger (taller) radiator and taller steering and gear shifting pedestal needed to match with taller radiator. I had wondered how he got the larger engine under the fuel tank heat shield but I guess that the 358 engine is not any taller than a 310 so it will fit under a stock 756 hood and fuel tank.

Capture 756  #1.JPG

Capture 826.JPG

I'll do that sometime...I would be interested in the forums, opinion on the setup, and if there's anything I should change. Unfortunately, I have to go work at 10-hour day on a Saturday to pay for my hobby farm habit 

8 hours ago, Rusty_Farmer said:

Late 715's too

late 715s had a 310 not a 358

• Like 2

Mike, you need to dig into that hydro on your 826. Might turn out to not be too big a deal? I'd like to see it up and running. 🙂

9 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I would LOVE to have a 358 in my 756!!! Even have the 358. We'll see what the future brings. 

DT360 would also be a good match -- the turbo makes that little engine run much better -- I have one in my International dump truck

• Like 1