Tractor of the week. Week 18: 560

8 hours ago, Lars (midessa) said:

Whoever ran the baler, appears to have left a lot of hay in the field, or the pickup of the baler is in bad shape, or out of adjustment.

That was right before a baler tune up. Had some teeth to replace, knotters needed adjustment, one knife replaced & the collar on the trip arm was changed out. Been putting out straight 70 - 75 lb'ers since. Got tennis elbow last all to prove it. ;v)

Mike

Lotta 560's out there, still kinda wish I had mine.It was my "big" tractor until the first of many 1066's and larger horses came along.But mine was a gas, wouldn't get used much and would probably just be a pain because of the weak, bad gas and take up shed room.

On 5/5/2023 at 9:10 AM, VacDaddyt said:

Here is my two that I have both at the beginning and have only one now. Also one of my toys. The Diesel turned into a gas.

I will get back to this statement in a minute....

20230506_112202.thumb.jpg.aa1cbe20e4a5a7ef8fa69d9e6ef2c1c9.jpg

This is a 560 Diesel that I bought for a "nearly new" set of 18.4-34's. (Not the ones in the pic)..Seller said "puts water in the oil, parts only". Well, one thing led to another and one battery and a set of jumper cables later, I'm taking a quick lap around the yard. She smokes a LOT, runs on about 4, but everything else works. TA works, Trans shifts into all 5, PTO goes on and off, power steering works. With any luck, a head gasket may fix the ills.  There is definitely water in the oil too!!!

Now to the quoted sentence above, "the diesel turned into a gas." Meaning a complete swap out, engine for engine? , or can a diesel block be fitted with enough gas parts to make it a gas.

(I'm guessing the answer will be a BIG NO, but I thought I would ask before starting to buy parts...)

Mike

7 minutes ago, mikem said:

I will get back to this statement in a minute....

20230506_112202.thumb.jpg.aa1cbe20e4a5a7ef8fa69d9e6ef2c1c9.jpg

This is a 560 Diesel that I bought for a "nearly new" set of 18.4-34's. (Not the ones in the pic)..Seller said "puts water in the oil, parts only". Well, one thing led to another and one battery and a set of jumper cables later, I'm taking a quick lap around the yard. She smokes a LOT, runs on about 4, but everything else works. TA works, Trans shifts into all 5, PTO goes on and off, power steering works. With any luck, a head gasket may fix the ills.  There is definitely water in the oil too!!!

Now to the quoted sentence above, "the diesel turned into a gas." Meaning a complete swap out, engine for engine? , or can a diesel block be fitted with enough gas parts to make it a gas.

(I'm guessing the answer will be a BIG NO, but I thought I would ask before starting to buy parts...)

Mike

If you really decide to shovel piles of hundred dollar bills at a 560 send me a PM and i can guide you through the process .

• Haha 1

The engine block is different. I used a motor that was from a gas tractor that had work done to it wrong from a tech school. I reused the diesel crank and new bearings. I reused the clutch and starter. I changed the hood. Long story but several years ago when I bought them I had to take the running gas tractor to get the diesel. Well it ran but needed  help as in you could see the seats around that valves. Once done with the overhaul I turned to the diesel. Motor was seized, the injection pump was too. The head was trashed.  Which left me in a dilemma. Iron price was down. So I found the gas engine real cheap and installed it. The loader was added to it. I wish I still had it as it ran very  well. I  sold it for  enough money.

IMG_0248.jpg

• Like 1

This one is mine. 560 was my first love. Pap had 2 diesels and I grew up and learned on them. We did everything with them along with a little 424D and an H once in a while until the 1066 came along. What a difference working on the 66 all day compared to getting beat up on the 560’s. Still love running a 560 though. 

IMG_0437.jpeg

• Like 2