Who needs rain?

6 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

With our crop insurance, you’re better off to drag the planter over it and claim it’s planted than to take prevent plant.

I’d rather protect my APH, and take PP.  I’m thinking MN, WI, and ND could see a bunch of PP this year

Getting really dry here now and a few fires burning, kind of early for that, gonna be hot all week so no help in the foreseeable sight

It has definitely dried up here about 30 minutes west of you Missouri Mule. I've got all the cows out on pasture and was going to sell most of my leftover hay. I think now as dry as it has become I'm going to hold onto it. Might need it in August or September. By the way I was out working in your area the other day. 

• Like 2

over 3" of rain (mostly) ending Sunday night/Monday morning. The river is over its banks onto the lower flats. Enough rain for awhile! The rest of this week looks showery.

We could turn the tap off anytime also. We have basically beach sand tiled at 30' and you could sink to the top of your shoes right now walking on fall tilled dirt. We have had 2" in the last week all in kind of small continous showers. Almost no sunshine and dreary. One of those springs that is more miserable than March amd February.  I don't know if we have had more than two nicer days in a row in the last 3 weeks.

Chopper guy called me last night.  Said the cereal grain silage yields are down 1/3rd or more.  Not great for many farms after last summer's drought.  

We got a little dry for a week or so but wet again. My dad and brother got a lot of fertilizer out and a good start on tillage but no seed in ground yet and stand still now. This was my gauge from Sunday and Monday. Another 2” since mid last week. 70-80% chance next few days as well. And temps in the 40s. Tried to snow this am. I hate mud!  

A432AC36-D55A-46E3-88F0-380AC5CC2A18.jpeg

We got .4" rain over weekend & not enough to cancel Reedsburg Plow Day!

Snowfall for season... 72"  , that's plus 20" above average.

YTD precip... 11"...about plus 2" for season.

Heating Degree Days ....minus 500 below normal since July.

Sunshine today!

19 hours ago, ZG6E said:

That's a welcome idea! When do you think I'll be able to get water on the south canal? I planted some corn into dry dirt and the forecast doesn't look promising.

Board meeting is this afternoon, but I suspect we should have water available for delivery by the middle of next week.

Haven't turned a wheel since Thursday here. Been raining ever since. Rain, wind and cold.

Hauled corn today since we had a contract this month. Spent a hour and a half in line because everyone in a 100 mile radius was hauling corn too.

The last 2 weather fronts through here missed our farm.  Had a nice little rain at work.   I had plenty of subsoil moisture last week when I disked soybean stubble.  Should be okay to sprout corn in no till.  But, we need a decent rain soon.

11 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

This was my gauge from Sunday and Monday. Another 2” since mid last week. 70-80% chance next few days as well. And temps in the 40s. Tried to snow this am

Same here…just got my new rain gauge yesterday b/c the old one broke when this rain started on Friday.  No chance of getting anything done anytime soon.

Not in MI.....we've gotten more rain than we can handle and some parts of the UP just got a few feet of snow.  It's been colder than average as well.   Spring can get here any time now. 

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Dry in nw mo no shrooms to be had - worked south of chillicothe and dry there too

How close were you?

I heard on the weather report that yesterday was 20 degrees below normal, today was about 8 degrees warmer than yesterday. Going to enjoy the nicer weather that much more when it arrives.

12 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

How close were you?

I was in chillicothe mon running down orings at johnsons rental - didnt hv big enuff - got a couple at lees machine shop - another 5gal of hydraulic oil at zieglers - place i was working was south down 65 to z then west at c just before hill cemetery 

That area was the northern edge of a burned up area last fall. Some guys were feeding hay in August just south of there.What a difference 10 miles can make. 

Also you just about tripped over me on the way to Zeiglers

We finished up planting yesterday, other than a little milo, i think everything has enough moisture to sprout but these 40 degree nights are going to slow things down. The cold nights and lack of rain have really hurt the pastures and hay,right now i'd say the hay crop is less than half.

• Sad 1

We’ve needed rain since the middle of June last year. Pasture short, hay short, ponds real low.  Some hay still being fed. Corn planted first of April pretty much all finally came up but not doing much. Early beans that didn’t get froze off not doing anything. The ones not done have quit and waiting on rain.  Tuesday they were predicting an inch for Thursday night/Friday morning. This morning it was down to .25. Radar loop looked like it’s all going south again. 

• Sad 2