Foggy Hour Meter

4 minutes ago, ComancheStarFarms said:

Any tricks on how to read the hour meter on a 56 or 66 series tractor that no longer has a clear plastic lens?  Is there a replacement for the lens?  Is there a chemical similar to automotive head lights that can be applied to clear the lens enough to read the hours?  Thanks - Jonathan 

Try Flitz metal polish or something of the sort.  Maybe one of those headlight polish kits.  I have seen them clean up really well.

‘56 series weren’t plastic were they? The  new 1256 I ran when I was back in high school,  and my two 1456s I owned appeared to be glass? 

• Like 1

I use the flitz metal polish too , it works great . If it’s really been out in the sun and the plastic is getting cracked you can clean it but it won’t remove the cracks .

Danny

13 hours ago, HydroTek said:

Looks like that is probably trashed -- but you can remove the cluster and gently work the metal ring from the back to release the glass -- then cut a new glass circle and re-install

I have not seen the machine that crimps that ring around these gauges but it has to be close to magic.

I have tried to remove those rings, and I can get them off, but they are no longer pretty and I will not reinstall.

18 hours ago, sandhiller said:

gaugehail.thumb.jpg.fe7d778da9d0edd2ecfdc7259341aab9.jpg

This should be the answer to the OP's question.

Can't read it? Smash the lens out.

Really, polishing is going to depend on if the fog is on the inside or the outside. You can polish until you're blue in the face if the fog is on the inside, which is usually the case with the glass lenses. It's just condensation and could be wiped off if you could get at it.

On 4/25/2023 at 8:41 AM, Diesel Doctor said:

I have not seen the machine that crimps that ring around these gauges but it has to be close to magic.

I have tried to remove those rings, and I can get them off, but they are no longer pretty and I will not reinstall.

That’s what Bates does when they rebuilt tachs. Don’t know if they still do.... they sucked at it anyway.

On 4/25/2023 at 8:58 AM, HydroTek said:

No crimp, the metal is rolled

Guessing you have never seen flat sheet made into roofing metal either

Crimped, rolled, same difference to me in this case.  most of us are not metalworkers. I recently experimented on a junk gauge and decided that I would never be able to remove one and reinstall it cleanly enough for me to be happy with it. Maybe some guys can

16 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

My experience with deet products is it will blur the shizzz out of your watch. So if it's the same plastic, your lens will be screwed and blued, as the old saying is 

Mark 

Deet will clear the plastic, but you have to polish it out, then let the deet completely dry

On 4/23/2023 at 10:12 PM, jass1660 said:

Believe it or not use any mosquito repellent with a high deet content, it works better on head lights or lenses than toothpaste or the polishing kits. 

I'm always willing to listen to advice, no matter how unusual it may sound.  I tried this today on the foggy cover of the right instrument panel on a 1486.  It actually worked!! :o

Thank you,

Red Tech.

• Like 2