nomorejohndeere

Saw one at a sale a few years back.

6604.png.f393f5b11596472646b25d6ba2592f56.png

6603.png.8c4826ccec6740e304a70847710b510f.png

Edited by TomH
Flipped the tractor over...
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rusty_Farmer said:

Had one with hand clutch TA, all one lever.

So how does that work, exactly? I'm easily confused so maybe I'm not understanding, but seems like if it was all on one lever the t/a would engage every time the clutch lever was pulled. I've never seen such a creature, or heard of it until now, but I'd like to if you wouldn't mind sharing. 

Mac

• Like 1

I'm sure he's saying the hand clutch lever has a "lever" to activate the TA incorporated onto it

it would be independent of using the clutch....just for convenience

so your hand could go to one spot to do either one or both functions....

• Thanks 1

00679BD4-4E89-4D00-BDE2-529272B35689.jpeg.64bfb9ad25b148e587c696ea141c1d5b.jpegWould sure like to find an oil bath air cleaner off a 660.

Its basically a 560 turned up a bit, IH made the air cleaners a little taller so the oil in the filter didn’t get sucked up into the engine.  Notice the extra spacer added under the Grill and side panels, little extra space under the hood.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

00679BD4-4E89-4D00-BDE2-529272B35689.jpeg.64bfb9ad25b148e587c696ea141c1d5b.jpegWould sure like to find an oil bath air cleaner off a 660.

Its basically a 560 turned up a bit, IH made the air cleaners a little taller so the oil in the filter didn’t get sucked up into the engine.  Notice the extra spacer added under the Grill and side panels, little extra space under the hood.  

Should be one sitting in the shed out at the loony tunes. I have the grill , side panels and rear half for the 660.

• Like 1

Been 30 years since our 660 with hand clutch got traded off but I’m 99% sure when you engaged the clutch it started out in TA and then moving the lever farther forward put it in direct. Only one lever. 
as with anything my memory could be wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

This has the smell of aftermarket.

Who made these?

IH, looked a picture up on messicks site. Seach 660, then clutch, then number 134. Can also find single and double lever hand clutch types for T/A and main clutch operation by going up or back. 

2 hours ago, 65806 said:

Been 30 years since our 660 with hand clutch got traded off but I’m 99% sure when you engaged the clutch it started out in TA and then moving the lever farther forward put it in direct. Only one lever. 
as with anything my memory could be wrong. 

your correct .............😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Its basically a 560 turned up a bit,

Correct....282 diesel turned up to 2400 max RPM. Planetary rear hubs to slow back down.

560 was D-282 governed at 1800...

Mike

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mikem said:

Correct....282 diesel turned up to 2400 max RPM. Planetary rear hubs to slow back down.

560 was D-282 governed at 1800...

Mike

And it always makes me wonder why IH did nit produce a row crop 660 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

And it always makes me wonder why IH did nit produce a row crop 660 

The 660 (as you probably already know ) is simply a Wheatland tractor.

If i remember correctly it dosent have a PTO , cant move the wheels to different  widths , your right though. Guess they had other ideas for something better.

Yours may not have had a pto but it was certainly available.  I don't remember seeing one without.  Belt pulley was still available but much more rare.  Power steering was about 50/50.  The way I understood it is that you row crop guys were making so much money with 30 inch corn rows that you did not need to waste money on high horsepower tractors.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

The 660 (as you probably already know ) is simply a Wheatland tractor.

If i remember correctly it dosent have a PTO , cant move the wheels to different  widths , your right though. Guess they had other ideas for something better.

660s had independent PTOs which was the first for IH in that Wheatland horsepower class.  My thinking is they could have made the axles different lengths and use spin out rims for limited tread adjustment.  The original Farmall didn't have adjustable tread either but it worked.  Im not saying this tractor would have been a world beater but would have at least kept IH in the hp race until the 806.  JD guys have been famous for making "what if" tractors.  Wonder if anybody has ever built a 660 row crop.  

• Like 1

Thanks for refreshing my memory , i found one years ago in a junk yard and was pretty sure it did not have a PTO but thats been too long ago. I cant even remember what i had for breakfast, don’t  have Alzheimer's disease yet just Halftimers.

• Haha 2

On 4/20/2023 at 9:02 AM, MacAR said:

So how does that work, exactly? I'm easily confused so maybe I'm not understanding, but seems like if it was all on one lever the t/a would engage every time the clutch lever was pulled. I've never seen such a creature, or heard of it until now, but I'd like to if you wouldn't mind sharing. 

Mac

The TA unhooked every time the clutch was pushed.

The short rod between the clutch lever and TA arm was the one that did it.

You pushed the clutch and that moved the TA throw out bearing to unhook the small TA clutch.

This allowed easier shifting.

You let the clutch out, the TA re-hooked and the clutch connected again. 

The TA dump valve did the same on the hydraulic TA's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The TA unhooked every time the clutch was pushed.

The short rod between the clutch lever and TA arm was the one that did it.

You pushed the clutch and that moved the TA throw out bearing to unhook the small TA clutch.

This allowed easier shifting.

You let the clutch out, the TA re-hooked and the clutch connected again. 

The TA dump valve did the same on the hydraulic TA's.

thanks for clarity as I just guessed........