1066 fuel problems

Solocam8925

Been having issues with big red. Last spring it ran good. After my little brother tried discing in may. It died and stopped running. I noticed the primer pump on the injector pump isn't squirting fuel inside the pump. Its not right... Fall I got it running, moving and for a while it died on me. A week ago same. Today same result. What's going on is that as its running. Its running on and off like its gaining power and losing power back and fourth and for a minute it died, cranked it started for 5 seconds and died. Kept cranking and still getting the same results. I added deisal lubricant. Nothing is happening.

If the primer pump isn't Squirting fuel in the pump. Does that mean there's no fuel in the pump or is the pump out??

I plan on changing the fuel filters to see if that's the solution. That's what the manual says if it's losing power. But the primer pump is What's bugging me on the 1066 not running properly..

1 hour ago, Farmall1066 said:

Primer pump won’t pump fuel if the filters are clogged up, start with a filter change, and cut a filter, or both open and check for black slime to make sure you don’t have an algae problem! 

So you don't think the fuel pump is out?? Dad brought it from my uncle. 4 yrs ago the pump went out. He spent 4k$ fixing the pump at MNAg. It wouldn't surprise me the pump went out...

After reading the manual. I'll run to buy CIH fuel filters.. Hopefully it runs like a charm.

Shut the fuel off on the bottom of the tank , unhook the line at the filter base , turn the fuel on and make sure you have a full stream of fuel coming from the tank . If not take compressed air and blow backwards into the tank .  You might want to drain your tank and see what’s inside, we are having a lot of trouble with the fuel vanishing so steel inside the fuel tank , if it smalls like varnish the tank will need to come off for cleaning . 
‘I’m with Travis on the fuel filters , replace them , bleed them out and don’t worry if the plunger leaks when you’re pumping it up . There are also two check valves in the transfer pump that could be sticking . Let me know if you can’t get it .

Danny

I agree with removing the line from the tank. (I was thinking to just remove the filters since they need to be replaced anyway), and checking that fuel flows freely out of the filter head, but the flow would be distorted.   Only way to see a “full stream” would be to un thread the line and pull it out of the base. 

6 hours ago, Solocam8925 said:

So you don't think the fuel pump is out?? Dad brought it from my uncle. 4 yrs ago the pump went out. He spent 4k$ fixing the pump at MNAg. It wouldn't surprise me the pump went out...

After reading the manual. I'll run to buy CIH fuel filters.. Hopefully it runs like a charm.

If the pump was just rebuilt 4 years ago, I would sure hope it’s not bad again!! Start with the simple things first, fuel flow, fuel filters, make sure there’s no black slime (algae)  A day checking over your fuel system to rule out the pump, is going to be cheaper than sending your fuel pump in for a rebuild, just to have the same issues when it goes back on!

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 6:57 AM, mrfred54 said:

If filters don't take care of it you should also check the return fuel line orffice in the head of the pump and make sure it is not plugged

X2, we had the return line check valve at the bottom of the tank on 826 get plugged up and stick. The tractor ran exactly as you described.  Among all of these suggestion above is the answer to your problem. As mentioned, a pump rebuilt 4 years ago should not be your problem. $4k seems awfully high for changing an injection pump if that is all that was done.