Scout luv

nomorejohndeere

That's about what My '74 LUV looked like when I bought it in late 1978.   I'm going  to assume the Scout part is the chassis under that LUV body. The stock LUV chassis was O-K, I hauled a couple 2000# loads of crushed rock out of a quarry about 10 miles from our house with it. Sure wasn't a very big pile in the box.

Yep, beyond ANY doubt that Luv was the worst excuse of a vehicle I ever owned.  A single vehicle soured me against ANY vehicle made in Japan and anything with the Chevy bow tie.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In 1970 I saw a 68 SCOUT totally rusted out that was still being maintained by the local IHC dealer. I talked to the service manager about the project.

The Scout belonged on the beach at Seal Beach as the life guards vehicle.  Sort of like hauling in a salt mine, something has to do that work.

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

In 83 I found a 64 Scout 4X4 full body in Seattle on a used car lot for $500.  Seattle is not really a rust area but I was surprised to find just a little rust on the floor by the tailgate. The little \152 engine was smoking a little but the whole vehicle was actually in good shape.  I had a 69 travelal  4X4 at the time and the 64 was just a better built vehicle. I had no extra time for another vehicle so I passed on the 64, but I drove it several times to evaluate.

When I finally got rid of the 69 in 89, it had lot's of rust in places I would have never expected, like over the rear tailgate and in front of the wind shield,  it was never in any place that had salt.  Just coastal Ca and a  1 year in Seattle.  Mechanically it was fine. The V304 and T98A were bullet prof.

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2023 at 10:51 PM, ray54 said:

Tacoma is on the edge of a salt water puddle. All the fog off that puddle carriers the salt. Even down here in sunny Californy. Vehicles that live within a mile or 2 of the beach and are not garage kept show it.

I can certainly believe that.  Back when I was in high school I bought a '69 Camaro that was originally a Florida car.  Check out all the usual Midwest body rot spots before laying down my money and to my surprise it appeared to be in great shape.  Fast forward to a few months later.  As i was driving home from school one afternoon I heard a faint rattling from behind me and looked in the mirror just in time to see my rear window tumbling through the air and shattering on the road.  Gulf coast salt water had rotted out the window frames and a PO had done a good enough Bondo job to camouflage it.  On the bright side of things, I did learn a little bit about torch brazing after that.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 5:55 AM, DR.EVIL said:

That's about what My '74 LUV looked like when I bought it in late 1978.   I'm going  to assume the Scout part is the chassis under that LUV body. The stock LUV chassis was O-K, I hauled a couple 2000# loads of crushed rock out of a quarry about 10 miles from our house with it. Sure wasn't a very big pile in the box.

Yep, beyond ANY doubt that Luv was the worst excuse of a vehicle I ever owned.  A single vehicle soured me against ANY vehicle made in Japan and anything with the Chevy bow tie.   

I bought a Chevy Luv once . . . almost new with very low miles.  About two months later it locked up, possibly blew a head gasket.  I was making payments on it and could not afford a major engine repair.  I got rid of it with no desire to ever get another one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 9:42 PM, odSteve said:

I bought a Chevy Luv once . . . almost new with very low miles.  About two months later it locked up, possibly blew a head gasket.  I was making payments on it and could not afford a major engine repair.  I got rid of it with no desire to ever get another one.

In the 90's a guy in Vancouver was running a Chevy Luv with old school 427 bbc, that was one fast street truck