Price check needed

TeachersPet1066

Went through pages of old archives because I didn’t want to post but…our drum of Hy-Tran just went empty on Monday and of course dad was using the rock picker today and didn’t notice the hydraulic leak.  Looks like a mouse chewed on the rock picker hose.  I only had 2.5 gal left so I put that in the 986 but it is so low not showing on dipstick so tractor got parked.

Monroe tractor took over lamb and Webster and won’t fill our drum now.  I shook my head - it was like $30 a gallon for Hy-Tran (had 55 gal drum and 5 gal.).  Have used Hy-Tran forever but it is getting to the point where I really begin to question.

I looked online at some pricing but was wondering what you guys were paying?  (Or switched to?)

@bitty I was indicated that the new hytran was going to be a better price ..... time will tell.

@DirtBoyz07oil will meet our specs and they were only changing to save all of us money when buying oil ? In today’s world I will believe it when I see it that the oil will be cheaper than it is today ??

We have switched to hytran made by Viscosity oil and getting it through Agriteer . I'm thinking it was around $14 a gallon but it's been 3 months and I might be wrong on the price we got then . I have excess on hand to hopefully thwart off any supply chain issues 

• Thanks 1

Messicks should also be able to supply you with Viscosity oil.   We got a drum over their open house in the winter that I want to say was in the 800s. 

Bitty I didn't know Agriteer had the Viscosity line. Good to know. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Super A_sepa said:

Messicks should also be able to supply you with Viscosity oil.   We got a drum over their open house in the winter that I want to say was in the 800s. 

Bitty I didn't know Agriteer had the Viscosity line. Good to know. 

Binkley is where I ordered it at first, when it came it was under the new ownership or near that point. I'd easily been able to get a dealership if I would have known the minimum order for it. Then I would need a place to store it. 

I'm at the barn waiting for the truck to arrive with the 5288 right now 😊 . Did you get to sit in your "new 89" for lunch today? That's what we always called that tractor 

I bought 55 gallons in February, I think. Was just over $1000. They filled a Cat drum for me. Saved about 50 bucks by using my own drum, and got another 10% of for preseason fill up 

I never have enough need to get a 55 but wish I had a couple years ago. I’d be sitting on a gold mine for a while. Asked Lambs about a 30 gal drum once, they would fill one if I had one but quit selling them. Anyhow, I got new holland version of hytran this spring from Larry romance, 5 gal for $130. Their Sheridan ny store is right on my way home from work. Convenience is great but they couldn’t get me filters. Cih or fleet gaurd. 

Got 150 gallon last fall, bulk delivered, ended up in mid $17s after discounts. Hy-tran & Viscosity are about the same $ at my dealer, Hy-tran starts higher but i always lay some in during CIH sales promos. Viscosity is not "on sale"  near as much as Hy-tran.

We buy it in bulk here but it’s still in pails. They just refill our pails.  Paul should be 5 us gallons and costs us about 120 bucks now cdn with tax so roughly 18.45 a gallon in US dollars and gallons.  They used to be a little bit cheaper but another company bought them out and mysteriously the price went up to the same regardless where you buy it now. Funny how that works 🤔

I switched to mobil 424 as well. Had to do something. Right or wrong. Has the same exact distinct smell. Actually the last hytran i bought flat out stunk. Smelled like burndt tranny fluid. Couldnt hardly wash the crap off. Ackella (spelling is probably wrong) had to of done something. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

Monroe tractor took over lamb and Webster and won’t fill our drum now.  I shook my head - it was like $30 a gallon for Hy-Tran (had 55 gal drum and 5 gal.).  Have used Hy-Tran forever but it is getting to the point where I really begin to question.

Couldnt you have went up the road to mcdowel and simply got it in a blue container?

Tom Lamb took my call for a $200 piece of glass ,on limited sales... Mcdowel whom we have done $100K...'S  + with,wanted to play games and could have beat that by $75. + free delivery.    $425

I told him bad decision and have spent $70K  elsewhere since.

After new "laws", next week parts will be going extinct.

5 hours ago, mmi said:

Couldnt you have went up the road to mcdowel and simply got it in a blue container?

Yes - I called them but it was already 4:00 and would not have made it there in time.

8 hours ago, bitty said:

We have switched to hytran made by Viscosity oil and getting it through Agriteer

Thanks - going to call both reps today and see if there is a dealer closer.  I think sometimes there are dealers that are not on their online map.  It does look like price is better than CaseIH hy-Tran 

8 hours ago, bitty said:

I'm at the barn waiting for the truck to arrive with the 5288 right now 😊 . Did you get to sit in your "new 89" for lunch today? That's what we always called that tractor 

It got down here around 3 so it didn't quite make lunch after he picked the other tractors up. Got it in the shop to get my scales and 2 way radio etc in now.

• Like 1

Last receipt I can find is 2022 Messicks open house.  70.00 for the first 5 gallons.  $85.74 per bucket or $17.148 per gallon after that in 5 gallon buckets.  I'm sure it has gone up since then.

Side note township left an oil trail when they went down through shredding brush on the roadside banks.  That can't be cheap.

32 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Last receipt I can find is 2022 Messicks open house.  70.00 for the first 5 gallons.  $85.74 per bucket or $17.148 per gallon after that in 5 gallon buckets.  I'm sure it has gone up since then.

Side note township left an oil trail when they went down through shredding brush on the roadside banks.  That can't be cheap.

For reference.  

Viscosity Oil #77400PY1US ULTRACTION Original Transmission Hydraulic Fluid - 5 Gallon (messicks.com)

7 minutes ago, TomH said:

Geeze.  I'm guessing that is the bottom line retail?  My receipt had a list of $95.xx.  wasn't viscosity supposed to save $?

7 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

the last hytran i bought flat out stunk. Smelled like burndt tranny fluid.

That was probably the Shell hytran, that stuff stinks!!! That’s all our dealer supplies, and when they filled our bulk setup, the shop stunk for 2 days! I’m about ready to find a viscosity dealer!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

I see NAPA has this on sale and there is a store on my drive to work.  I will grab 5 gal so I have it.

F87FB2A4-A960-41B1-8513-7E3303EC6AA9.jpeg

Just bought some myself. 4 buckets. Also tractor supply online had it on sale. Somewhere on that jug it says also known as mobil 424

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmall1066 said:

That was probably the Shell hytran, that stuff stinks!!! That’s all our dealer supplies, and when they filled our bulk setup, the shop stunk for 2 days! I’m about ready to find a viscosity dealer!! 

This was case ih hytran from the stealer. $130 a bucket. And all....

3 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Just bought some myself. 4 buckets. Also tractor supply online had it on sale. Somewhere on that jug it says also known as mobil 424

Check to make sure that is the same as Mobiland 424. Years ago I was a Mobil dealer, don’t remember that tractor hydraulic fluid, shown.

3 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

This was case ih hytran from the stealer. $130 a bucket. And all....

4 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Farmall1066 is pointing out that this is CNH branded shell hytran, what is available at CNH stores is shell made now 

16 hours ago, bitty said:

I'm thinking it was around $14 a gallon but it's been 3 months

Good help and today found out for 5 gallon it is $96 from one dealer that is about an hour away ($19.20 gal) and another that is 30 minutes away is $110 ($22 gal).  55 gal is $17.22 gal and $20.90 gal from these two.  Fortunately not too far away.

I can also get the Mobil on sale to top off the combine in the fall.

Thanks again for the info and price comparison (and refresher on viscosity and Mobil).

• Like 1