Assisted suicide plans, need help.

vtfireman85

I have an elm in my yard, it was a gift by a now dead person in memory of another dead person, the top broke out of it 2 years ago, but being an elm it now has a bushy mess growing up there, it looks awful and i want it gone. 
my wife and my Inlaws are all emotional about taking it down. I suggested we make a memorial coffee table out of it or something, but that didn’t work. They all want to leave it to see if it miraculously heals… 🤦🏼‍♂️
it has been suggested to drill a hole in it and put Tordon in it, but if i do that down low it will be discovered and i have my doubts of how well it will work up high. The break is probably 15’ off the ground. I would love to poison it, and it is 20’ from anything i care about… suggestions? 
if i can kill it i will make them some memorial piece out of it, but in the meantime it is an eyesore and they only see it a few weeks a year when they are here, i own it and see it daily. 

30 minutes ago, oleman said:

Decent relationship  with family members has got to be more important than a memorial tree!

If it is dead, everyone can move on. Having the top 2/3 of the tree already missing is a plausible cause for death. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I know a guy…..

C3287426-AB0D-4896-9F69-B7754A719009.gif

what tree?  I don’t see a tree there….

I want one of those so bad.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

C3287426-AB0D-4896-9F69-B7754A719009.gif

My dozer guy has one of these on a big tracked skid steer. It does a beautiful job of cleaning the willows etc. along the creek banks. I've seen it eat some pretty big trees. I had 5 acres of CRP on a farm I bought that the trees took over. Once he got done, it was smooth as a babies butt and nothing but chips to even tell there was ever anything there.

He told me they make a sprayer attachment that you can spray tordon on the stumps.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

I believe Round up will kill it if you get it on the leaves.  I accidentally killed a bunch of aspen trees this way when I was trying to kill willow and alder brush.

Hoping to kill it before it leaves this year.

Uncover some underground roots, 3/4 or 1 inch spade bit into said roots, fill with round-up concentrate, cover roots, problem solved.

If anyone gets suspicious, you were just doing a little landscaping to add to the beauty of such a glorious tree.

From what I have been told, (by the folks at Iowa State) the best "time" to kill a tree with spray is July-August when the tree is pulling nutrients into the roots, not pushing them up (ie,,spring).

They tell me that Round-up will work as a stump spray in the fall. And is way more friendly than Tordon.

13 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

I'm sure there is something that you can get into the roots.  

See this article.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/03/07/auburn-harvey-updyke-toomers-corner-oak-trees

Suppose he is available for hire? 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Jesse in WI said:

Uncover some underground roots, 3/4 or 1 inch spade bit into said roots, fill with round-up concentrate, cover roots, problem solved.

If anyone gets suspicious, you were just doing a little landscaping to add to the beauty of such a glorious tree.

This!

Seth, look up Spike Pellets. 30 years ago they worked like a dream. Not sure if they have changed the formula, but they worked back then.

ps three or four pellets around the tree are all it takes.

• Like 2

I’d think it would take a year for it to die from spray. I don’t really know, but I have used some pretty aggressive chemicals on hedgerows  before trying to kill saplings and such, and I’ve never killed a mature tree.

Easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.  Chainsaw

• Like 1