460 std

mmi

Does anyone know what A, B, C, H & M actually stand for?  Or are they just Farmall models & the letters mean nothing?

I have 2 orchard brochures,  that shows o4/o6 on the grill but grove on some the tractors.  Why not a "G" on the hood then?  Been told groves where sent to Florida,  orchards to NY.  

Assuming U is for utility on the gen sets?  When did IH stop making gen sets?  Then utility became a model of 350/460 tractors.    T for track?

Image my posts about wheel vs wheatland will annoy people of this forum.  Just posting info I have collected on the subject as I have  interested in the W series.  

9 hours ago, redturbo said:

Image my posts about wheel vs wheatland will annoy people of this forum.  Just posting info I have collected on the subject as a lot interested in the W series.  

It's well known that the W series were all standard tread tractors. Odd thing IH did to differentiate row crop from standards, it had nothing to do with being a super or not.

The 05-56 wheatland thing has been hashed out before and yes it appears like you stated, bareback and single remote. 

I know what the difference's between std vs row crop in IH world is.  That's not the point I'm trying to make.  Have shown that pictures of what IH called the W series & what models they actually put the word wheatland on.  Example,  a Super W6 is just that,  nothing more.  Why do people feel the need to call it a "wheatland"?  IH never called them that.  

Assuming bareback means lack of 3pt hitch?  Must be a midwest term?

13 hours ago, redturbo said:

Does anyone know what A, B, C, H & M actually stand for?  Or are they just Farmall models & the letters mean nothing?

Maybe there is no answer and people want to make it something it isn't. I have no idea why GM called the top end Camaro a Z28, it doesn't matter to me

(Z28 was the GM RPO code but why did it become the model?)

...or 🤓was already taken and they were a runaway hit💩so they rolled the dice with half the alphabet

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, redturbo said:

I know what the difference's between std vs row crop in IH world is.  That's not the point I'm trying to make.  Have shown that pictures of what IH called the W series & what models they actually put the word wheatland on.  Example,  a Super W6 is just that,  nothing more.  Why do people feel the need to call it a "wheatland"?  IH never called them that.  

Assuming bareback means lack of 3pt hitch?  Must be a midwest term?

Bareback.... the back is bare, its pretty self explanatory. I heard it everywhere in the Dakotas, numerous tractor magazines use the term still to this day.

As for the W series, Many people interchange wheatland and standard as the same. Probably because IH has been gone almost 40 years and the W series are over 70 years old....wheatland was a phrase IH and every other manufacturer used, as was standard. Nomenclature changes over time.

I guess if you really want to argue about names, go after the people that call their row crop an International..... it's not, it's a Farmall.  International tractors were all standards until 67. Then the wheatland name came back in 67 with the 56 series and all tractors changing to International's.

Splitting hairs over semantics.

• Like 1

What tractors fall into this bare back term?  All them without a 3pt hitch?  Never heard of this,  so I’m asking nicely.  If a tractor out here is less than 15 years old,  not likely to find a 3pt hitch on.  No use for them with draw bar implements.   Unless it’s a garden tractor.  

On 4/16/2023 at 10:00 PM, redturbo said:

What tractors fall into this bare back term?  All them without a 3pt hitch?  Never heard of this,  so I’m asking nicely.  If a tractor out here is less than 15 years old,  not likely to find a 3pt hitch on.  No use for them with draw bar implements.   Unless it’s a garden tractor.  

I think the term Wheatland came about because the  "Standard"  tractors were used in areas that mostly grew wheat.

Bareback means no PTO and no Three point hitch on the back.

As far as no tractors less than 15 years old having a 3pt hitch.....here in the corn belt,  almost all tractors have a 3Pt hitch.

My corn planter hooks to it ...my planter is a pull-type but it's what they call a front fold.

I also run an NH3 bar that hooks to the 3pt.  Bushhogs and several other tools also use the 3pt.