460 std

mmi

7 hours ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

I always thought that a  "Standard"  tractor of any make just meant it had unmovable wheels and axles......Standard was just short for standard tread.

That's exactly what it means  but unlike the Oliver 70 I posted as an example IH didn't need to designate it a STANDARD since the non adjustable models had a different model number 

Calling them "standard" and "super" to differentiate the two models is a local/regional thing, not why IH put STANDARD on the hoods.

Fact of the matter is I've seen and heard people referring to Farmalls as "standard M" and "super M" yet there is no standard sticker on the hood of any M. It's just a thing people say, nothing official.

The STANDARD on the side of the W-series hoods was to denote that they were Standard Tread tractors. Fixed width, but apparently not adhering to any single "standard" fixed width. To my engineer brain, "standard" means "all the same" which they are not. The 540RPM 6-spline 1-3/8" diameter PTO system is "standard" for example.

33 minutes ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

Unless it's a 1000 RPM 20-spline 1-3/8" shaft

Or a  1000 RPM 20-spline 1-3/4"  shaft

They're all "standard" as in they adhere to industry standards. They may not be "standard equipment" on all tractors, but when a tractor has a 540PTO, it's the same as every other tractor that comes with a 540PTO.

A 1650RPM 10-spline 31/32" shaft is a NON-standard PTO. A 763RPM 17-spline 21.47mm shaft would be a NON-standard PTO.

If the word "standard" in "Standard Tread" was used in the sense of standard equipment, well, that's just as dumb as the W standing for "wheel" 

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

when a tractor has a 540PTO, it's the same as every other tractor that comes with a 540PTO.

Unless you have a Ford N series.  1 1/8" 6 spline

Or a '39 Farmall.

Agree mostly standard though.

2 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Unless you have a Ford N series.  1 1/8" 6 spline

Or a '39 Farmall.

Agree mostly standard though.

37 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Or a JD G series.  1 3/4” size

Yeah, I explained NON-standard earlier. Those are NON-standard, or at best a different standard.

The 1-1/8" technically wasn't 540RPM, either. Wasn't it 535 or 530?

13 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Calling them "standard" and "super" to differentiate the two models is a local/regional thing, not why IH put STANDARD on the hoods.

Fact of the matter is I've seen and heard people referring to Farmalls as "standard M" and "super M" yet there is no standard sticker on the hood of any M. It's just a thing people say, nothing official.

The STANDARD on the side of the W-series hoods was to denote that they were Standard Tread tractors. Fixed width, but apparently not adhering to any single "standard" fixed width. To my engineer brain, "standard" means "all the same" which they are not. The 540RPM 6-spline 1-3/8" diameter PTO system is "standard" for example.

you are mixing engineering/SAE logic with sales promotions/ decisions

IH wasn't the first company to use the term Standard but it appears to me it became the industry (standard) name for non adjustable tractors. If IH was competing with other companies with non adjustable tractors I think it was a good sales idea

see pics. Case and Allis standard tractors still a mystery.? 

They had the T series which was Trac Tractors. odd name for a tractor ? they were crawlers

W Series -wheel tractor to differentiate Farmall row crops from a non adjustable tractor 

I think you are applying  21st century thinking for mid 20th century decisions.

staall.jpg

stacase.jpg

5 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Yeah, I explained NON-standard earlier. Those are NON-standard, or at best a different standard.

The 1-1/8" technically wasn't 540RPM, either. Wasn't it 535 or 530?

most tractors are not 540 at full throttle

6 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Didn't know about that one.   Was that on all G's or just early ones?  Any other odd JD's?  

EDA922D5-E617-45F9-BBDA-51B2CFF46433.jpeg

Not sure about any other odd balls but the JD changed the G over to 1 3/8” in 1950.  Above is my 1946 GM with an adapter. I think it last ran a sickle bar mower.

• 2 weeks later...

Again another utility tractor with different fenders.  Emblem on side panel has “wheatland” stamped into it.  Nothing like an IH 560 or IH 660 which are all the over west.  Never seen 460 out here.  Only pictures.

97D021D8-2E56-47AE-9C05-1CE8DE5C0FC0.jpeg

E203D689-9CF7-4A6C-98B8-DD9E40166550.jpeg