Jump to content

460 std


mmi

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, jimw said:

Rarer than a SH-TA ??? Be nice to see the serial number tag 

No. These were actually produced by IH.

I do have a couple questions for the panel, though:

1. Where does "Wheatland" come from? Everybody calls them "Wheatland" tractors, only to get nit-picked, "It's not a Wheatland it's a Standard," and now "It's not a Standard it's a..." Well, I don't know what they are anymore.

2. What is "Standard" about a "Standard" tractor. I've often heard them called "Standard Tread" but the tread widths for different models appear to be different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

No. These were actually produced by IH.

I do have a couple questions for the panel, though:

1. Where does "Wheatland" come from? Everybody calls them "Wheatland" tractors, only to get nit-picked, "It's not a Wheatland it's a Standard," and now "It's not a Standard it's a..." Well, I don't know what they are anymore.

2. What is "Standard" about a "Standard" tractor. I've often heard them called "Standard Tread" but the tread widths for different models appear to be different.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

dang i lost my posting , got to start again. 

 ok , the standard tractors were the w6's and w4's. that is because they had the super models in them models also and many didnt know the difference and they looked the same.  they also had a decal right under "McCormick" decal saying "standard" that was how they distinquished between the two. one was standard one was super. this standard saying went away in the following series.  standard tread tractors were the ones with non adjustable wheels or axles. farmall's are known as" row crops" and our international's here "standard tread."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rustred said:

dang i lost my posting , got to start again. 

 ok , the standard tractors were the w6's and w4's. that is because they had the super models in them models also and many didnt know the difference and they looked the same.  they also had a decal right under "McCormick" decal saying "standard" that was how they distinquished between the two. one was standard one was super. this standard saying went away in the following series.  standard tread tractors were the ones with non adjustable wheels or axles. farmall's are known as" row crops" and our international's here "standard tread."

That doesn't make sense.

W4s and Super W4s, and W6s and Super W6s, were not made at the same time, and it was very easy to tell them apart by the circle decal. If that were the case why wasn't there anything on the hoods of Hs and Ms when they brought out the Super models?

The word "STANDARD" appeared on the hoods of 4s, 6s AND 9s from day one. This promotional image from 1941 shows the word "STANDARD" clearly on the side of the hood of a W9:

McCormick-Deering_W-9_1941.webp.ea38311ce5697e0c0729c51043d5d24b.webp

Oh yes, and all the Super W4s and Super W6s I've ever seen have "STANDARD" on the hoods, same as the W4s and W6s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

That doesn't make sense.

W4s and Super W4s, and W6s and Super W6s, were not made at the same time, and it was very easy to tell them apart by the circle decal. If that were the case why wasn't there anything on the hoods of Hs and Ms when they brought out the Super models?

The word "STANDARD" appeared on the hoods of 4s, 6s AND 9s from day one. This promotional image from 1941 shows the word "STANDARD" clearly on the side of the hood of a W9:

McCormick-Deering_W-9_1941.webp.ea38311ce5697e0c0729c51043d5d24b.webp

Oh yes, and all the Super W4s and Super W6s I've ever seen have "STANDARD" on the hoods, same as the W4s and W6s.

You are correct Matt  Supers 4 6 and 9s were STANDARD  as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a 560 or 660. The cover for the steering wheel is a dead giveaway. 460 utility or wheatland still had the steering wheel on the dash.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

No. These were actually produced by IH.

I do have a couple questions for the panel, though:

1. Where does "Wheatland" come from? Everybody calls them "Wheatland" tractors, only to get nit-picked, "It's not a Wheatland it's a Standard," and now "It's not a Standard it's a..." Well, I don't know what they are anymore.

2. What is "Standard" about a "Standard" tractor. I've often heard them called "Standard Tread" but the tread widths for different models appear to be different.

IH was developing a TA for the H and M using bands rather than the overrunning clutch. It was abandoned and the tractors were scrapped. the Super H t/as out there  are fake and not what was being developed

 Wheatland ? I use it for an International 806 for example because most people would not know if  I was talking about a Farmall or International. Also most tractors used in the wheat belt were NOT Farmalls.

When it comes to W Series I have NEVER heard someone say its a Standard W6.. etc. its a decal not a model. Standard was used by other companies and I cannot assume I reason they picked that name. - perhaps because "regular" is a synonym for standard? regular thread makes as much sense but I wasn't born in that period and they spoke differently back then , My Dad used to say nought rather than zero:blink:

Wheatland is a term used for other brands as well, a generic name like Ski Doo or Zamboni? can someone can post some actual pics of the properly named Wheatlands.? 

 I am open to be proven wrong so have at it😮

 

ollie.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I don’t no all the details . But I’m pretty sure the decal standard was factory. Seems like tractors from Canada to Kansas have them . I guess I’ve never saw a wheat land decal on anything but a 06 , has anyone saw one on a 56 series?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

That doesn't make sense.

W4s and Super W4s, and W6s and Super W6s, were not made at the same time, and it was very easy to tell them apart by the circle decal. If that were the case why wasn't there anything on the hoods of Hs and Ms when they brought out the Super models?

The word "STANDARD" appeared on the hoods of 4s, 6s AND 9s from day one. This promotional image from 1941 shows the word "STANDARD" clearly on the side of the hood of a W9:

McCormick-Deering_W-9_1941.webp.ea38311ce5697e0c0729c51043d5d24b.webp

Oh yes, and all the Super W4s and Super W6s I've ever seen have "STANDARD" on the hoods, same as the W4s and W6s.

yes thats what i am saying the standard was on the hood of the standard tractors.  and thats all we know them  here as standards or supers. i do not know why they still kept the standard on the super models. cause when a person said   standard w6 you knew he was not talking super w6. but maybe the factory engineers kept calling them standards and kept that decal on because it was not a farmall, just the standard tread model. its like who knows now.  i have been around these tractors   all my life and knew exactly what they meant when they were spoke of  being standards.  as for wheatlands that meant you did not have a farmall. farmall and  rowcrop  went together meaning tractors in the usa. so i dont know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jimw said:

 I don’t no all the details . But I’m pretty sure the decal standard was factory. Seems like tractors from Canada to Kansas have them . I guess I’ve never saw a wheat land decal on anything but a 06 , has anyone saw one on a 56 series?

yes it was factory,... we are trying to figure out why the supers are called or have standard on them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Eason said:

That's a 560 or 660. The cover for the steering wheel is a dead giveaway. 460 utility or wheatland still had the steering wheel on the dash.

 

not so,..the 560 has an 18inch diameter wheel, which is 3/4 ich thick. the 660 has a 20 inch wheel which is 1 inch thick . that is not a 660 wheel.  and its in rough shape also. you cannot even buy a new 660 wheel only the 560 wheel is available. and it sure dont look like that wheel has ever been off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jimw said:

Not no’ing the early history did the standard tractors come out first . And then the farmall. So the standard was the standard. Possibly cheaper to build . 

when it comes to the IH Letter Series the Farmalls came out in 1939 and the W Series followed in 1940

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jimw said:

Not no’ing the early history did the standard tractors come out first . And then the farmall. So the standard was the standard. Possibly cheaper to build . 

these tractors hit the market in 1940 , both farmall and McCormick.  its two different tractors. farmall is row crop,... mccormick is the standard model.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rustred said:

these tractors hit the market in 1940 , both farmall and McCormick.  its two different tractors. farmall is row crop,... mccormick is the standard model.  

nope

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

83D16D97-1EC0-4CFC-A546-4BDA94FDAAD4.jpeg
 

CA998C74-69B5-4ADF-91D1-D395C401026F.jpeg

471F19DA-C717-4AD5-8F43-524AF50F1905.jpeg
 

Pulled this out of my reprint brochure for the W-9/WD-9.  Don’t know what year it is but has to be the last one for the original W9 series because it shows the Super W6 too.  Anyways all three W series in the last pic has “standard” on the side.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, jimw said:

Not no’ing the early history did the standard tractors come out first . And then the farmall. So the standard was the standard. Possibly cheaper to build . 

funny little piece of trivia. I looked up the1951 prices

 Farmall H $1898

McCormick W4 $1884

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...