460 std

mmi

It is a standard by the deck as you get off the rear of those. 

You get on/off a utility to the front.

Will wait to hear from the more knowledgeable if a 460 standard was ever built?

1 hour ago, brahamfireman said:

It says 460 utility right on the sign hanging on the front.

Yes sir. And Diesel Wheatland under it. I have a different pic of it that gets used as wallpaper on occasion. It is a gem!!!

Mike

Diesel Wheatland Closeup.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

Yes,  but if you can blow up the picture,  it says WHEATLAND on the side.

Been doing some digging. Looks like the 460 wheatland is the same as a utility,  but different fenders to get on in front vs rear.  Interesting little buggers. 

Wheatland and Standard are two different things. I have the dent in my head to prove it.

I'd like to say all Wheatlands are Standards, but not all Standards are Wheatlands, but...

IH made a "Wheatland" version of the 300U, 350U and/or 460U. Presumably to placate the few customers that still swore by their old W-4's. It was mostly the big round full coverage fenders to keep the dust down.

IH also offered a "Wheatland" package on the 66 series, but did not offer the 66 series in Standard. Again, it was mostly the big round fenders, presumably so the old timers could pretend they were running their old WD-9s. There really was no practical need for "Standard Tread" tractors beyond the early 1950's, but companies continued to produce them to keep that segment of their customer base happy.

this 460 is not a farmall as that is my reasoning to call it a standard tractor, so basically if its a wheatland its a standard model. i had a 460 wheatland and no way you could get on from the rear , it was jump on from the side. the same as this 460 pictured,.. you do not get on from the rear.  the front end is not adjustable either.  all it is , is the fenders are the big round ones , the same as the 60 series 560 and 660 tractors. the wd9 nor the w6 never did have them round fenders.  here in canada that is pretty well all you see is standard tractors, while row crop models are way more common in the u.s.

in Ontario they sold a pile of W Series but I think there was still more Farmalls....or at least in this region -Ontario is 4 times the size of Michigan so I can only report what I see or saw . I am certain there was never a  Wheatland 806 or newer IH tractor sold here without 3 pth.or fast hitch. no barebacks after 06s 

same with that 300- 460, there was utilities sold here but I think they were sold on the fast hitch versatility for mixed farming.

11 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Wheatland and Standard are two different things. I have the dent in my head to prove it.

I'd like to say all Wheatlands are Standards, but not all Standards are Wheatlands, but...

IH made a "Wheatland" version of the 300U, 350U and/or 460U. Presumably to placate the few customers that still swore by their old W-4's. It was mostly the big round full coverage fenders to keep the dust down.

IH also offered a "Wheatland" package on the 66 series, but did not offer the 66 series in Standard. Again, it was mostly the big round fenders, presumably so the old timers could pretend they were running their old WD-9s. There really was no practical need for "Standard Tread" tractors beyond the early 1950's, but companies continued to produce them to keep that segment of their customer base happy.

What is the difference between a Wheatland and a Standard in the bigger tractors,  say a 660 Wheatland and a 660 Standard?

I agree that 460 is a dandy!  Never knew they made a wheatland 460!

I think those and the 606's were the only ones without a engine supported frame rails.  Lots of stress on that block under loader/heavy use.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:56 AM, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Yes sir. And Diesel Wheatland under it. I have a different pic of it that gets used as wallpaper on occasion. It is a gem!!!

Mike

Diesel Wheatland Closeup.png

The owner of that is Randy and Terri Van Wyhe from Minnesota.   They are very nice people.   Maybe he can fill us in.  @Bullwinkle

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

What is the difference between a Wheatland and a Standard in the bigger tractors,  say a 660 Wheatland and a 660 Standard?

I think, again, it is mostly fenders. The Wheatland has "full coverage" fenders to "keep the dust down." 

This is a picture of what I believe to be a true "Wheatland" tractor. Note the gaudy fenders. A Standard's fenders are only about half as wide. The giant IH logo is not original and is a later version if I'm not mistaken:

560wheatland.jpg.0493e0f41b0bbf1bed3f58e484547680.jpg

10 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I think, again, it is mostly fenders. The Wheatland has "full coverage" fenders to "keep the dust down." 

This is a picture of what I believe to be a true "Wheatland" tractor. Note the gaudy fenders. A Standard's fenders are only about half as wide. The giant IH logo is not original and is a later version if I'm not mistaken:

560wheatland.jpg.0493e0f41b0bbf1bed3f58e484547680.jpg

no such thing in the 560 or 660 as to being wheatland . the 660 and 560 came with either fenders   that  logo on the fender is not factory at all.  460 is the only one that had the wheatland name, right on the 460 emblem. also the U.S. people seam to call all standard tractors wheatlands. we never hear them called that in canada. the 660 is only a 660 .

^ Russ nailed it but I will add 

The W Series are Wheel tractors --yeah I know but it was IH's call to name them

The term Standard  was not used after the Letter Series (Ws)

the name "International" replaced  McCormick Standards ie International  400 or W400 and 600, 450 ,650 etc

The name "Wheatland" only appears in the  literature for the 60 series in regards to the 460- not 560 or 660 ( like Russ says)

Later tractors were Farmalls or Internationals as well (06/56) 

wheat1.jpg

wheat2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rustred said:

no such thing in the 560 or 660 as to being wheatland . the 660 and 560 came with either fenders   that  logo on the fender is not factory at all.  460 is the only one that had the wheatland name, right on the 460 emblem. also the U.S. people seam to call all standard tractors wheatlands. we never hear them called that in canada. the 660 is only a 660 .

“Standard” was the term used by JD to distinguish between rowcrop and not rowcrop.   So blame JD for the confusion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

“Standard” was the term used by JD to distinguish between rowcrop and not rowcrop.   So blame JD for the confusion.  

what year did they start using it?thats the same rowcrop - non rowcrop designation with IH. an industry " standard" ;) term was inorder

W Series standards date back to 1940

3 minutes ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

I think Deere actually used the term  "General Purpose"  or  "GP" for the row crops.

Yep.  They did for the GP and the early unstyled row crop tractors.  Looking at my sources, it appears JD dropped the "GP" decal on the tractors when they styled the tractors but still referred to them as "General Purpose" tractors up through most of the 50s until they switched to using "row crop" 

The reference word  "standard" JD actually wanted to use in the 30s for the wheatland versions of the A and B to be called AS and BS.  However at the last minute they switched to the letter R which stood for "regular".  So then starting in the late 40s and 50s, "standard" was used for any wheatland type tractor and the one row M through 1010 which is kinda weird because technically they were row crop tractors.  Also, JD used "standard" at least up to the 30 series and mean the 4430.