IH 225 Hayswather

SMDFarmboy24

10 hours ago, acem said:

Did you get hurt?

One knee swelled up and was sore for a couple weeks, my back was sore, and I was generally stiff and sore for a week or two. Nothing permanent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

We actually bought a pair of 400s in 1983.  Most of the crop got hailed out so we bought these because they had double delivery tables so we could put two windrows together for 40ft and try to salvage something.  The 4000 had a 25ft grain header.  The 400s were wore out but even on their best day IMO they were mediocre at best.  The 4000 and the two 400s got traded off for two JD 2280s later on.  

Dads last 400 was a double swath table with upright muffler instead of the slanted early models had. The late 400s had a newer designed hydro pump, motor. The old 400s basically had two pumps belt driven one for each side. The drive motors were mounted behind wheel housing with a belt drive to the input drive shaft. The late 400 had one tandem hydro pump like a skid steer and drive motors were mounted to input drive on wheel housing. Eliminating the belt from older models was tough on input drive chains. I put a gazzilion hours on that late 400 it made me a very bitter person, the only good thing about it was the ford six industrial engine and I dislike ford. A normal harvest day for me for years was load swather onto transport by 6:30 am take the packed lunch with and water jug. I usually had the 3/4 76 Chevy 2wd sprayer pickup to pull it. Return back to farm at 9 to 10 pm. If I returned early it was **** to pay.  I usually started swathing rye in July around the 20th then swathed oats ,barley wheat to about the 15th of august we would try and straight cut after that. But then you still did half days with green  sloughs and hay patches we swathed. You had to take 20 gals of gas with you because around 2 pm it was getting dry. Dads hired men were all gone by time is was 13 so I was only one stupid enough to run swather until I was 18. They used to hire me out to custom swath also but they collected the earnings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

AAF34AB6-1495-4B84-A987-F2FAE9463F2D.jpeg

Took me awhile to find this picture but its a MF 665?? and I think an IH don't know what model.  I think what is happening in the picture is both are going down the road for the IH 4000 which was our first swather with a hay header.  Still have the C-10 to this day too.  

The IH is a 230. August 1968 my great grandpa bought an IH 175 (I think) brand new. Grandpa has told me the story of him helping great grandpa put it together at the dealer the week before his and grandmas wedding. He remembers being sunburned at the wedding. 

That swather had a 19.5 foot grain head for millet and a little grass he had. After great uncle took over the farm in 1980 that swather was used into the early 90’s. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

The IH is a 230. August 1968 my great grandpa bought an IH 175 (I think) brand new. Grandpa has told me the story of him helping great grandpa put it together at the dealer the week before his and grandmas wedding. He remembers being sunburned at the wedding. 

That swather had a 19.5 foot grain head for millet and a little grass he had. After great uncle took over the farm in 1980 that swather was used into the early 90’s. 

A 230 had a 404 tractor  engine or something about that size. Something a bit bigger than a A  engine. The 175 had the v4 Wisconsin. I don’t know if there were options available but that’s what the ones I have been around had. 

1 minute ago, dale560 said:

A 230 had a 404 tractor  engine or something about that size. Something a bit bigger than a A  engine. The 175 had the v4 Wisconsin. I don’t know if there were options available but that’s what the ones I have been around had. 

I have one pic of that 175. I think it came out in 1966 or 67. The 210 came out it 1970 I think. I could tell you exactly if I wasn’t seven hours away at college so I can’t look at my stuff. Thing is the 175 didn’t have headlights in literature I see but the 210 did which came out after 1968 when great grandpa bought his. So maybe headlights was an option on the 175’s and his had them? Don’t know. 

10 hours ago, dale560 said:

I believe it was a 153, put plenty of hours on the 230 dad had, after I graduated high school and started working in town dad got rid of the swather and bought a haybine, wish he would have gotten that a lot sooner, the swather was wore out.

15 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

I looked in my 76' IH buyer's guide and it shows up as the lowest or cheapest of the lineup.  I think the two swathers went down the road when we traded the MF 510s for a MF 760 because the 760 had twice the capacity of those 510s and needed bigger windrow.  

9BEEC87F-426F-4793-9149-9174CCEAC11C.jpeg

DC87F66C-253F-4696-B6ED-F98B7D96BC8D.jpeg

First picture was taken in 1966.  The 510 in the background was only a few years old and the swather was only a year old.  Its a MF 34 and was our first self propelled swather.  2nd picture was taken in 1974.  Same swather and the Gleaners are Forest Tupper leaving our yard to head back to Kansas.  He is in the Custom Cutter Hall of Fame and for a while our farm was his last stop.  Sharp eyes will see a POS NH baler behind the swather.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

First picture was taken in 1966.  The 510 in the background was only a few years old and the swather was only a year old.  Its a MF 34 and was our first self propelled swather.  2nd picture was taken in 1974.  Same swather and the Gleaners are Forest Tupper leaving our yard to head back to Kansas.  He is in the Custom Cutter Hall of Fame and for a while our farm was his last stop.  Sharp eyes will see a POS NH baler behind the swather.  

When I worked for Kalcevic Farms, in the late 80’s Forest Tupper was one of the custom cutters they used. Not sure how many different crews were there, but Kalcevics owned 6, 760 Massey and they were the smallest crew cutting that summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

I looked in my 76' IH buyer's guide and it shows up as the lowest or cheapest of the lineup.

The 230 your talking about right?

Nice photos. I see the Gleaners have the “cranes” not sure of official name, for loading headers. Are those C2’s? If not an E or F is what I’m thinking. 

7 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

The 230 your talking about right?

Nice photos. I see the Gleaners have the “cranes” not sure of official name, for loading headers. Are those C2’s? If not an E or F is what I’m thinking. 

They are Ms.  Before that he had Gs.  

19 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

They are Ms.  Before that he had Gs.  

Oh didn’t look that big. 

I remember a 225 swather in our area when I was younger. Thought it looked odd with the windshield and the roof like they are. Farmingtonimplement has one film on them on DVD 13. It’s a six minute film from 1973 and one thing they talk about is how it has a 10 foot swath and it’s comparable to a 14 ft swather. After seeing that film they’ve grown on me for some reason. 

11 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Oh didn’t look that big. 

2605DDEB-0BCB-4A46-9A26-4D3B5187B6DB.jpeg

Here is another pic same harvest. Not a great picture but it does show from the side how long the separator is.  The M is actually only a few inches wider than a F.  But the separator is longer.  Later on he moved up to Ls and then the N series finished him off far as Gleaner is concerned. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

2605DDEB-0BCB-4A46-9A26-4D3B5187B6DB.jpeg

Here is another pic same harvest. Not a great picture but it does show from the side how long the separator is.  The M is actually only a few inches wider than a F.  But the separator is longer.  Later on he moved up to Ls and then the N series finished him off far as Gleaner is concerned. 

Have you stayed in touch with him? I was thinking he went red for a while then green, but I am not sure why I thought that. 

21 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Have you stayed in touch with him? I was thinking he went red for a while then green, but I am not sure why I thought that. 

He died back in 2015 over in South Dakota while still on the harvest run.  Supposedly they were getting the combines ready and he just collapsed from a massive heart attack.  Right up to that point he was still making the run through here still cutting for about 3-4 neighbors.  We quit getting cutters in the 80s but he would still stop by occasionally.  He went to Massey after Gleaner and then switched over to JD until the end.  Some of the advice we got from STS combines came from him.  

He died back in 2015 over in South Dakota while still on the harvest run.  Supposedly they were getting the combines ready and he just collapsed from a massive heart attack.  Right up to that point he was still making the run through here still cutting for about 3-4 neighbors.  We quit getting cutters in the 80s but he would still stop by occasionally.  He went to Massey after Gleaner and then switched over to JD until the end.  Some of the advice we got from STS combines came from him.  

I think he was running the Massey's when he cut for Kalcevics the first year I was there. He might have gone to the Deere machines the last year I was there. I know Kalcevics went to Case IH when they couldn’t get another Massey conventional combine. 

7 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I think he was running the Massey's when he cut for Kalcevics the first year I was there. He might have gone to the Deere machines the last year I was there. I know Kalcevics went to Case IH when they couldn’t get another Massey conventional combine. 

According to his bio on the USCI website, he went to JD in 1988.  I do remember him with 8820s and it seems like he continued to run them a year after the Maximizers came out do to his previous experiences with Gleaner/Massey.  Gleaner screwed him over and Massey left him high and dry his own words.  

On 4/7/2023 at 12:08 PM, SMDFarmboy24 said:

So I was able to drive it about 4.5 miles to a friend's farm until I figure out the next step in the moving process. Slow and steady was the name of the game, definitely interesting to operate on down hill curves! 

Resized_20230407_084217.jpeg

I’ve never ran one. Do you drive with pedals and steer with the sticks? That’s how it looks to me. 

11 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

I’ve never ran one. Do you drive with pedals and steer with the sticks? That’s how it looks to me. 

You steer with the sticks like an early skidsteer. The sticks release a clutch , one on either side to steer. There is a variable speed main drive belt for speed control.

• Thanks 1

Dad always pulled the 210 from field to field. As I recall there was a lever you pulled up by the left pedal that released the drive. Seems like the right one sit the brakes. Be sure to check the oil in the planetary units. He burned one up. Parts were very hard to find and that was 30 years ago. Still have the 210 if someone needs parts for one.  

• 7 months later...

Was doing an internet search for a 225 swather and this link pulled up.  Oh man....what a beauty!

I spent countless hours on a 225.  As noted, the sticks are used for steering and reversing.  Pull the left stick to turn left and right for right. Pull both and she goes in reverse.  1/2 way is about a neutral point or you can engage the left pedal for neutral.  She'll turn on a dime.

I absolutely adored cutting with that 225.  Incredibly efficient machine.  On the hunt for one myself....as I prefer that over my current NH 499