IH 225 Hayswather

SMDFarmboy24

So in my greater wisdom, I decided to at to my collection and bought a 225 hay swather at an auction. Now comes the task of getting it home. I've never operated one, but the controls look fairly intuitive. I will have to see if I can find an operators manual for it, so far I've only seen service manuals. However, in the mean time, does anyone have any operational pointers so I can try to get this thing home? Thanks in advance. 

20230330_113901.jpg

20230330_113841.jpg

• Like 2

I guess the first question is, how far are you going with it? Hauling or driving it? 
Not much help with the operation of it, never ran one with the two stick controls. Just newer ones with steering wheels. But should be straight forward, as in finding out how equally they are adjusted for going in a straight line. The ones I’ve run are very touchy in the steering.

Or a lot of slop in the steeering linkage like my Hesston. 

If you don't have far and are driving it home. 

Take some time before you leave driving it around the place and learn how the controls react. 

Don't get in a hurry, doubt road speed is much over 10mph, enjoy the scenery, you will have plenty of time to do that. 

It's a little farther than I'd feel comfortable driving the whole way home. I do have a friend that has a farm about 4 miles away which may be a temporary option until I can schedule a lo-boy to move it. It looks like the header could come off with 2 bolts at the top, 2 linkages at the bottom, and the drive shaft. 

I appreciate everyone's help so far. 

Be very careful if you decide to haul it. My advice would be to open the bypass on the hydro and winch it on and off, and have a way to steer it and hold it back while doing so.  I flew about 25 feet last May trying to back this 2 stick Deere off a step deck. Sketchy at best didn’t work so well that time. 

9F9DB98F-96A3-4C8B-8197-7E574FC3FF3F.jpeg

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Be very careful if you decide to haul it. My advice would be to open the bypass on the hydro and winch it on and off, and have a way to steer it and hold it back while doing so.  I flew about 25 feet last May trying to back this 2 stick Deere off a step deck. Sketchy at best didn’t work so well that time. 

That's kind of what I was worried trying to haul it on my deck-over. That's why I was considering a detachable gooseneck lo-boy so it was closer to the ground. 

I'm kinda curious if the header was off, if the machine would be light enough to load it with forks. 

48 minutes ago, SMDFarmboy24 said:

That's kind of what I was worried trying to haul it on my deck-over. That's why I was considering a detachable gooseneck lo-boy so it was closer to the ground. 

I'm kinda curious if the header was off, if the machine would be light enough to load it with forks. 

That machine is a belt driven variable speed if it followed the other series of ihc swathers. They used to make Donahue or JD sliding axle trailers that is what a lot of guys used to move them. We have a dedicated transport trailer with wheel wells and a deck for rear axles. We moved a 4000 ihc 20 ft table this winter. Payloader 4 chains and 5 miles later it was there took about hour to move it my brother said.

51 minutes ago, SMDFarmboy24 said:

If you have something available with enough lift that would be the way to do it.  Even if you hang it from chains to load and unload. 
A month after that Deere rolled of I brought the guy this Owatonna I had found.  I used a detach trailer this time. The Owatonna has a steering wheel and a forward/reverse hydrostat lever.  I didn’t want to unload after the previous experience so the buyer unloaded it.  The Owatonna drove nice and straight but if you are standing still and turn the wheel it will spin in a circle.  I had the wheel set so it wouldn’t move.  I carefully explained how to run it, but when the guy hopped on, the first thing he did was grab the steering wheel and yank it around.  I stood back and watched him hop it off the side of the detach.  Thankfully it didn’t roll, but it ended up straining against the trailer.  I yelled at him to kill it, then told him what he had done wrong.  I jumped on and drove it away then, and showed him how it would spin if you moved the wheel.  He was a little shook but all ended well.  If I haul another swather it will be loaded and unloaded with forks or an overhead hoist of some kind!!

AD4D5325-0468-471D-B467-54DA5C62173D.jpeg

• Like 1

I feel much more in control with the sticks than a newer machine with the steering wheel. But I have way more time on crawler tractors than wheeled ones. So totally ready for the spinning around quick. But really like the hydro to crawl in thick tangled hay. Going really slow with the variable belt drive you tend to slip the belt and then you need to go faster to keep from slipping the belt.

A good part of the stick control is if things are adjusted properly. Much harder to back up straight if you need to pull one stick farther to get that side backing up. A trailer made just for swathers is the way to go.  But if your going far you need the back wheels loaded too. But have moved my old one 50 miles with the rear wheels rolling. Just made sure they were greased good.

If you can drive it the 4 miles to the friends place without getting run over even if your moving under 10 mph I would say do it. Then look all the options over about loading it, and what trailer you have available.

• Like 3

There are swather trailers made with rails that keep the back wheels straight. You back on and the wheels hit the rails and can’t steer. They stay straight until you are driving it off the ramps again 

21 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Did you get hurt?

Maybe, I drive my 5000 15 to 20 miles between fields one way, get up nice and early, and you will get there by lunch time 😂. All of that driving is on state highways, and across a 2 mile bridge, I get a lot of "salutes" along the way. My first trip home with it after buying it was a 35 mile trip, took me 6 hrs, at best you will get maybe 5 mph. Anything over that, they bounce, and tend to start whipping the header.  Go slow, enjoy the ride. Oh, a functioning radio be nice too 😂😂

Mark 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

There are swather trailers made with rails that keep the back wheels straight. You back on and the wheels hit the rails and can’t steer. They stay straight until you are driving it off the ramps again 

Could you do something like that with 4x4's screwed down to a wooden trailer deck?  Lots of times I've screwed down a couple of rubber wheel chocks to keep a questionable load from moving.

3 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Could you do something like that with 4x4's screwed down to a wooden trailer deck?  Lots of times I've screwed down a couple of rubber wheel chocks to keep a questionable load from moving.

Don’t see why that wouldn’t work 

ECD144DF-6FCA-4575-8766-083703E9BFF0.jpeg

When I bought my NH 1116 last summer it came with this trailer.  Thought about selling it but I know sometime down the road it will come in handy.  What I’ve seen some guys do is drive/load the swather up on a low trailer from the side and let the back tires set on the ground and basically haul it down the road sideways 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

ECD144DF-6FCA-4575-8766-083703E9BFF0.jpeg

When I bought my NH 1116 last summer it came with this trailer.  Thought about selling it but I know sometime down the road it will come in handy.  What I’ve seen some guys do is drive/load the swather up on a low trailer from the side and let the back tires set on the ground and basically haul it down the road sideways 

Ours somewhat resembles that. Two more tires in the middle. We took the back wheel saddles off and made a  8 x10 deck out of metal. Can still remember it was a Christmas break project in 1987. We finished welding metal floor down on Christmas Eve that year finished it about 2:30 that afternoon. Dad never let us take life easy if school was on break.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 12:41 PM, ihrondiesel said:

If you have something available with enough lift that would be the way to do it.  Even if you hang it from chains to load and unload. 
A month after that Deere rolled of I brought the guy this Owatonna I had found.  I used a detach trailer this time. The Owatonna has a steering wheel and a forward/reverse hydrostat lever.  I didn’t want to unload after the previous experience so the buyer unloaded it.  The Owatonna drove nice and straight but if you are standing still and turn the wheel it will spin in a circle.  I had the wheel set so it wouldn’t move.  I carefully explained how to run it, but when the guy hopped on, the first thing he did was grab the steering wheel and yank it around.  I stood back and watched him hop it off the side of the detach.  Thankfully it didn’t roll, but it ended up straining against the trailer.  I yelled at him to kill it, then told him what he had done wrong.  I jumped on and drove it away then, and showed him how it would spin if you moved the wheel.  He was a little shook but all ended well.  If I haul another swather it will be loaded and unloaded with forks or an overhead hoist of some kind!!

AD4D5325-0468-471D-B467-54DA5C62173D.jpeg

My Grandpa and then Dad had a 260 like that which Grandpa did a lot of custom work with. He built a hitch on the back so you could pull it backwards with a pickup. If I remember right there was a cab on each drive wheel that you loosened 2 bolts, flipped it over and there was a tab that pushed in when you tightened it to release the drive motor on each wheel so it could be towed.

I remember backing it into the shed and it took a little getting used to as it turned the opposite direction when backing up.

57 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Ours somewhat resembles that. Two more tires in the middle. We took the back wheel saddles off and made a  8 x10 deck out of metal. Can still remember it was a Christmas break project in 1987. We finished welding metal floor down on Christmas Eve that year finished it about 2:30 that afternoon. Dad never let us take life easy if school was on break.

One thing that also occurred to me too was I can haul my antique combines around.  Maybe not the 715 but the 151 would be ok.  Only combine I have that fits on a normal 8ft trailer is the 55s and the 3300 if it would run.  Far as Christmas break goes I'm in that club too.  We've poured cement, built barns, and worked cows if the weather was nice over break.  Even thanksgiving we built a chicken fence.  

AAF34AB6-1495-4B84-A987-F2FAE9463F2D.jpeg

Took me awhile to find this picture but its a MF 665?? and I think an IH don't know what model.  I think what is happening in the picture is both are going down the road for the IH 4000 which was our first swather with a hay header.  Still have the C-10 to this day too.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

AAF34AB6-1495-4B84-A987-F2FAE9463F2D.jpeg

Took me awhile to find this picture but its a MF 665?? and I think an IH don't know what model.  I think what is happening in the picture is both are going down the road for the IH 4000 which was our first swather with a hay header.  Still have the C-10 to this day too.  

Neighbor had a Massey swather like that for years. Dad had a 175 ih and his farming partner had a 210. Dad traded his 175 for another 400 versatile in 1977 then traded a couple more ending up with a 79 and 77 versatile 400 then later we bought neighbors 4000 ih.

1 hour ago, midnightman said:

58206334-4ED4-4826-9CF0-493C90BAFB4E.jpeg.48eec4e1138177d3b73129d3228e4e90.jpeg

This style transport was popular in this area for that size machine.

These are all over the place around here. We have a 2 wheel one like pictured and a 3 wheeled one. Then there are the side loading ones that lift the rear wheels off the ground too so you can go as fast as you feel comfortable. Our 4000 with auger header I haul on the 3 wheel one, anything wider we use a side loader. I would look into renting a mover like this if there is one available there before trying to load on a deck trailer

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Neighbor had a Massey swather like that for years. Dad had a 175 ih and his farming partner had a 210. Dad traded his 175 for another 400 versatile in 1977 then traded a couple more ending up with a 79 and 77 versatile 400 then later we bought neighbors 4000 ih.

We actually bought a pair of 400s in 1983.  Most of the crop got hailed out so we bought these because they had double delivery tables so we could put two windrows together for 40ft and try to salvage something.  The 4000 had a 25ft grain header.  The 400s were wore out but even on their best day IMO they were mediocre at best.  The 4000 and the two 400s got traded off for two JD 2280s later on.