Forged Pack Hatchet

Sledgehammer

5 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I think I will call this done. 😊 I made everything. Even the leather lanyard and metal handle wedge were both modified. The rest was built from scratch. 

3FA0417B-4754-4EE7-B66E-CCFEC2A36498.jpeg

0123F9C2-EE6E-4754-9B4F-EEE3CEE689E7.jpeg

4446C5C2-03C1-46B5-86F7-505EFE67065B.jpeg

707D237D-8E9D-4A64-9667-17CF1F745A51.jpeg

0EEAF996-00E7-4A89-96F3-1E2D29D58C43.jpeg

7C2B21D2-1F64-4E9A-A30A-25AB5052BB21.jpeg

Great job!! I hope he enjoys it as much as I did watching you build it!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That turned out really nice!  What is the overall length of the handle?  I ask because I have a commercial hatchet for my shop stove and it “feels” a little too short. 2-3 inches short maybe. I used a boy’s axe for the dairy shop stove and that was too long. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gearclash said:

That turned out really nice!  What is the overall length of the handle?  I ask because I have a commercial hatchet for my shop stove and it “feels” a little too short. 2-3 inches short maybe. I used a boy’s axe for the dairy shop stove and that was too long. 

It’s 1.4lbs and total length of 12-7/8”. 

Most companies made a “house axe” in the day. Head is probably 2lb or so with a roughly 18” handle for splitting wood inside at the stove. It would be considerably larger than this one. 

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

It’s 1.4lbs and total length of 12-7/8”. 

Most companies made a “house axe” in the day. Head is probably 2lb or so with a roughly 18” handle for splitting wood inside at the stove. It would be considerably larger than this one. 

Sounds like that is what I need.  The hatchet I have is about 13-1/4” overall length, but it feels a tad too short and a tad too light.

image.jpeg.5c455d5bb0f9d59af87a185444b83af4.jpeg

That is some truly outstanding work. I believe you said you were making that for a friend. I don’t know if I could let go of it. I will look forward to more of your Craftsmanship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, just Dave said:

image.jpeg.5c455d5bb0f9d59af87a185444b83af4.jpeg

That is some truly outstanding work. I believe you said you were making that for a friend. I don’t know if I could let go of it. I will look forward to more of your Craftsmanship.

Thank You. Yes, it is for a friend who is putting my brother and I up for a few days on a trip we have planned. He has no idea it is coming either which is the best part 😊

I have the first one that I made and wasn’t satisfied with that I can use if I want to use one. My blacksmithing mentor said he wouldn’t take less than $150 for the first one. I didn’t make it to sell or anything obviously and was surprised at his valuation of it given the small inclusion. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Update:  I received a text yesterday from my friend who I gave the pack hatchet to.  He bagged an elk Friday night and used the hatchet in splitting and processing. He said it worked great and now his hunting partner wants one. It truly is a successful build now. The tool was used for its intended purpose and worked as I hoped. 

3EED97C6-A865-4456-8822-679A92A55028.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the kind words.

Now, for the complicated part. If I was going to make one for sale…. Everything I forge is by hand. I have no power hammer or hydraulic forging press.  This leads to things being pretty labor intensive in regards to time. I don’t feel like I could ask what it would take to cover costs and come out ahead. I would say materials alone would be somewhere $50-60/each. Add 12-15 hrs time in…. What would it be worth?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Thank you all for the kind words.

Now, for the complicated part. If I was going to make one for sale…. Everything I forge is by hand. I have no power hammer or hydraulic forging press.  This leads to things being pretty labor intensive in regards to time. I don’t feel like I could ask what it would take to cover costs and come out ahead. I would say materials alone would be somewhere $50-60/each. Add 12-15 hrs time in…. What would it be worth?

The GB axe I just bought for my brother was 220 IIRC, its a nice axe but it is sort of a production axe. You have the “artisan” advantage, charge what you need to. 

A lot more than I'll bet you would think it was worth...............I've seen how humble you are on here, but your work is truly amazing.  My sister was the same way when she used to make hand sewn dolls and stuffed animals to sell at the craft fair. She would sell out the first day because her stuff was about 10 times underpriced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You might even have to do a booth at a few places now and then, but your work is worth selling if it is something you want to do. Your customers won’t be the type looking for a Vucan hatchet at TSC, but thats ok, there is an a$$ for every seat. 

When Lisa had her leather shop, she always said she wanted to price her stuff so a working cowboy could afford it. 
If she does it again, she’ll charge 10 times more. 
Custom made things are expensive, but they are worth every penny! 
You build it, I will make it worth your time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1