Jump to content

66 series horn and button


cougar766

Recommended Posts

Morning everyone. 
Been tinkering with the LADY and debating on whether I want to install a horn being I do a few tractor drives with her now. 
my question is where is the horn mounted in the nose cone and the button on the dash. 
if anyone has a 66 with a horn and could share a picture or 2 I’d greatly appreciate it. 
 

 

Thanks Cougar aka David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cougar766 said:

Morning everyone. 
Been tinkering with the LADY and debating on whether I want to install a horn being I do a few tractor drives with her now. 
my question is where is the horn mounted in the nose cone and the button on the dash. 
if anyone has a 66 with a horn and could share a picture or 2 I’d greatly appreciate 

 

Thanks Cougar aka David

they are usually  mounted up high in between the headlights on the radiator support the button location can be in steering wheel on tilt wheel models or the left black panel under the steering wheel should be a blank hole 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, EASY BOB said:

David, there should be a green wire up behind the upper grill for the horny thing.

Thanks Bob. 
How are you doing??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, IHC5488 said:

https://cngco.com/wiring_diagrams.html

 

 

I didn't know the 66 series had an option for a horn.  The dark green wire is shown on the schematics but doesn't go anywhere.  Where would have the button been located?  IH wired all the tractors the same,  one set of harness for every series.

The owners manual shows it in the right hand dash panel with the key but in that location is my tattletale light for the tranny and it’s original. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, cougar766 said:

The owners manual shows it in the right hand dash panel with the key but in that location is my tattletale light for the tranny and it’s original. 

Very interesting....learn something new everyday....

Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

My 756 has it on the left side panel, most tractors have a chrome plug in the spot.

Thank you. 
I wander why the manual show on the right panel. Lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Horn Button Location on a 656 , left panel beside starter button factory horn location

IMG_20230325_103902415.jpg

That’s where my fuse is. Evidently they switched on the 66 series. Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Drysleeves said:

Horn was an option. If the tractor had a tilt wheel it could be in the center cap but I bet it could be on the lower dash below the tachometer regardless of the steering system. They tended to be less reliable long term with the switch under the steering cap.

My 856 & 1066 both have horns with steering cap switches, just have never seen a horn switch on a 56 or 66 any other way. Only seen the button on 06. As you mentioned reliability, neither of mine work anymore.  🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect it was added at the dealer level on more tractors than anyone might suspect. Cigar lighters fell into the same category. We have an 806 here that's been in the family since new and it had a plastic cap over the open lighter fixture from the factory. It has the metal lighter platform with no heating element. Factory horn button which is the same button as the one used on the 560 glow plug controller where you wear out your thumb to get 'er running.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Drysleeves said:

Horn was an option. If the tractor had a tilt wheel it could be in the center cap but I bet it could be on the lower dash below the tachometer regardless of the steering system. They tended to be less reliable long term with the switch under the steering cap.

My 756 with tilt steering has a horn, hasn't worked since it's been here.  There's a horn relay behind the dash.

 

J-12 - STEERING MECHANISM, TILT STEERING WHEEL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

This must be regional - because I never saw one with a horn locally

Even our 560 we had  yrs ago had a factory horn 1086 has one as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...