Another 40 acres finished.......over 400 more to go.....

mike newman

......there is at least   500 odd acres of terrace country that can be developed  on the 'sister'   Station to the Rainbow Station....The Raglan Station is slightly smaller than the Rainbow....but among the thousands of acres  of land ....the mountains run right up to Chamois and Red Deer country......as per photo

We have just picked up a few rocks ,over the last two months.....heaved them up into about six heaps, with the 21 ton excavator.....in between the tracks coming off the  Hyundai...Unfortunately , with about no more than one hours work left, the D53P  Komatsu's mechanical lift pump quit....thus we wait for two weeks before the replacement arrives from Singapore.........and.....the winter feed crop  of Oats and short rotation Rye Grass  is now  sown....working around  the dead crawler...

The soil is surprisingly good...quite dark and deep in most places...albeit with the odd stone amongst  it.....  and using the Komatsu  and rake creates a lot of top soil to ''shake '' out via the 21 tonner's  rake....A tedious   job...I prefer to ''rake '' the whole paddock with the excavator...far tidier  job, but the ''Boss '' thinks its quicker using the 'dozer.....but it takes a bunch of hours to sort the stones out...so because operators know  nothing.....we do it the painfull , slow way....so the excavator   ends up fifteen feet up on a huge heap of stones and soil....then the ''screened '' top soil is pushed back   over the raked ground......

The paddock was sprayed with the helicopter  prior to  drilling...

...a few pictures

Raglan Hills ..taken from the bottom flats                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       ...some big stones in there

heaving /screening out the stones

6th picture   ...dead Komatsu...8th and 9th pic ...brief metallic torture   (think of @KWRB).....and the chain is back on....and even the Komatsu lost a track in those bloody stones....

Mike

IMG_8185.JPG

IMG_2322.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2324.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2321.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 35desoto said:

Id better be careful when down your way. If the weather is right you'll have me working for my keep on one of these beasts

Lol

He could put me to work on that dozer any time! 

• Haha 1

Jeepers Mike, You lost Track again!

Nice rock piling job.

Do the rock piles maintain as a permanent landscape fixture  as a monument to your handy work?

Or do I understand the ground is on order to be developed?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Some impressive stone piles there mike. Sure makes me appreciate our dirt that’s stone free. That’s a lot of work to make that ground tillable. 

If you bring those rock to Grand Island with you, they will buy them for landscape material.

Could be a way of financing your trip?

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2023 at 1:58 PM, Cattech said:

I'm not a Komatsu guy, but by looks of the gaps between pads and the extend the idler is sticking out the front of the frame, I'd guess the tracks on the 210 have seen their better days?

.....right on @Cattech  !!!......just on the 9500  hr mark on the original chains...I removed   a link about 2400 hrs gone...and fitted new sprockets about 880   hrs gone...but the idler slides and idler gaurds are very worn...hence the tracks would roll off the front idler in the stones if one wasn't ever vigilent.....

Mike

14 hours ago, Rainman said:

Jeepers Mike, You lost Track again!

Nice rock piling job.

Do the rock piles maintain as a permanent landscape fixture  as a monument to your handy work?

Or do I understand the ground is on order to be developed?

@Rainman......yes...the rocks are indeed a ''permanent landscape  fixture''   !!!!...and the ground is now sown in a winter feed crop for the several thousand sheep...and next spring will be sown for summer feed .......and..next autumn  , permanent pasture will be sown....

Mike

On 3/22/2023 at 2:32 PM, pt756 said:

what will be the end result? will crops be planted or is it all meant for grazing?

......seasonal feed crops  for a few rotations....then permanent pasture...for about five /six years...then seasonal rotation   again...

Mike

On 3/22/2023 at 2:19 PM, nomorejohndeere said:

Is this the first time those fields have been rock picked?

Yes...first time done properly...Some years gone some bloke poked around with a blade on some ancient track machine...but..it is not country for old crawlers in an allready distressed condition..,,,!!

Mike

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 1:43 PM, 35desoto said:

Id better be careful when down your way. If the weather is right you'll have me working for my keep on one of these beasts

Lol

On 3/22/2023 at 2:03 PM, vtfireman85 said:

He could put me to work on that dozer any time! 

....WARNING  !!!!! ...  Brett  and Seth,.......just be careful  what you wish for....you blokes..:rolleyes:

Mike

3 hours ago, acem said:

@mike newmanI think I saw you in a movie filmed in New Zealand but I can't decide which part.

Were you Gandalf or an orc in The Lord of the Rings?

image.thumb.png.c3bbccf633930797dc61f6df7ddb81fe.png

image.png.e207b03f991ff3e705426335ab4cd1a8.png

.....  I am the bloke that does not need   an iPhone 14 pro...but carries a six inch American made crescent  to communicate with and also fix fuel blocks in the D53P  and  because of my advanced ''maturity'' I am referred to as ''Rumplestiltskin''..not ''Rumpleforeskin "" as you once, quite unkindly, I thought, referred to me.......my 80 yr old ''helper ''  up here at the Rainbow Station Toll gate is called  ''Ichabod Crane "'...another well known hysterical figure  (American )...(I cannot divulge anymore detail on Ichabod.....because that would attract unwanted interest from one of our Moderators, who had to ''censor '' another recent post of mine.....due to a percieved bias against our glorious leader........)

We have also been referred to as  ''Statler   and Waldorf''  ...but I am uncertain  as to which particular character  I   would resemble.......anyway we don't have a balcony, from which to shout obsenities to the masses...,,,so all this suggests that you may well have been mistaken in thinking you saw me in the   ''the rings movie ''

Were tthere any scenes  with Excavators operating in..???   ....I  actually  have no interest in that type of film......it would excite me about as much as a bowel cancer diagnosis, frankly....but I am aware of other folk being interested.....

Anyway, Ace...always good chatting to you...I enclose a picture for your gratification...a very recent picture of a bunch of frail 80 yr old  Rumplestiltskins...I feature on the far left....:)

Mike

IMG20230313104227_01.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Obviously you are a man of great talents and skills. I figured they would offer you so much money you couldn't refuse!

I enjoy the ring books and movie. I think the book is much better. The movie is too much violence and not enough tale but that sells tickets. My kinda stories, Good men overcoming evil.  Similar to a good western but in a different setting. I like all the  outside scenes.   Your country is gorgeous.

The ring movies generated alot of interest in New Zealand at the time.

18 minutes ago, acem said:

Obviously you are a man of great talents and skills.    

Steady there  , Ace....I am just another old hillbilly..of no particular note..........who operates a few bits of machinery these days.......

Mike

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

.....  I am the bloke that does not need   an iPhone 14 pro...but carries a six inch American made crescent  to communicate with and also fix fuel blocks in the D53P  and  because of my advanced ''maturity'' I am referred to as ''Rumplestiltskin''..not ''Rumpleforeskin "" as you once, quite unkindly, I thought, referred to me.......my 80 yr old ''helper ''  up here at the Rainbow Station Toll gate is called  ''Ichabod Crane "'...another well known hysterical figure  (American )...(I cannot divulge anymore detail on Ichabod.....because that would attract unwanted interest from one of our Moderators, who had to ''censor '' another recent post of mine.....due to a percieved bias against our glorious leader........)

We have also been referred to as  ''Statler   and Waldorf''  ...but I am uncertain  as to which particular character  I   would resemble.......anyway we don't have a balcony, from which to shout obsenities to the masses...,,,so all this suggests that you may well have been mistaken in thinking you saw me in the   ''the rings movie ''

Were tthere any scenes  with Excavators operating in..???   ....I  actually  have no interest in that type of film......it would excite me about as much as a bowel cancer diagnosis, frankly....but I am aware of other folk being interested.....

Anyway, Ace...always good chatting to you...I enclose a picture for your gratification...a very recent picture of a bunch of frail 80 yr old  Rumplestiltskins...I feature on the far left....:)

Mike

IMG20230313104227_01.jpg

Looks like a pat hand of five cards you would not draw to😉

Would like to be around for story time😄

Nice to see your horseshoe mounted to "hold in" the luck🤠

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Picking rocks , I swear they reproduce. It must be nice to get a little break now and then from the rock and spend some personal time caressing another few rounds out of an old tractor.    I guess that is granite type stuff left from glacial deposits ?   My little spot here is a sloped out crop of lime stone with a gnarly forest overlay and some dirt between the trees left over from foliage decay. Though ground to work but a great place to live.

From the size of those piles I’d say you might of lowered the elevation around there an inch or two.

17 hours ago, mike newman said:

you...I enclose a picture for your gratification...a very recent picture of a bunch of frail 80 yr old  Rumplestiltskins...I

Are you guys getting paid for this? Because it looks to me a little like a bunch of Dudes on vacation ?                                                                   
Cheers Dave

10 hours ago, just Dave said:

Picking rocks , I swear they reproduce. 

Are you guys getting paid for this? Because it looks to me a little like a bunch of Dudes on vacation ?                                                                   
Cheers Dave

...''a bunch of  Dudes  on vacation''.....sigh

..OK Dave....now listen carefully....(:rolleyes: )......at about  5.30 last evening  (Friday   ..down under ...)..I recieved a call on the Farm Radio  System...(yes  ...I can figure that out ....).....a call from the Toll Gate crew...in respect of two American ladies who were (1)  ...stuck ..in a rental car...  and (2)  ..had run out of petrol in said car...this about 50 minutes from where I was about to shower and go and have tea   (evening meal...)  ...with another couple of geriatrics....  

So...abandoning  thoughts of shower and tea....I set off back up into the boonies with petrol    ...jumper leads...tow rope  ..plus a few of my tools ...(American , Dave..including the trusty made in Jamestown NY   six inch Crescent...).....My eldest Daughter works at the ''Toll Gate '' for this back country travel....and she was entertaining these Ladies...with a nice cup of tea  and home made ''bikkies''.. I duly feuled up the car...a late model rental with about three inches of clearance  underneath.....and I struggled to get  the tow  rope around some part of the front suspension..to haul it out of the creek  ..that somehow they had got in... I towed them up a steep stoney bank...and eventually towed them through  quite a deep river crossing......and eventually to the safety of the ''tar top ''  

They were nice Ladies..one from Virginia  and t'other from Iowa.....they wanted to pay me !!!..I refused  any payment..including giving them the petrol.... I told them if they had been from California...and voted for Gavin ..I would have charged them double  !!!....(Guess that statement will have BJ on my back...again...sigh )...''.Why don't you want paid.'''...they asked...Two reasons given, Dave...I , personally have had met some great folk in the US ..who helped us when I locked the car key in the Marquis....and another equally embarrasing moment when my Daughter got out of the car on Highway 50..in a tiny little town...caught her dress on the sill  of the Honda  car..somehow..and did an involuntary striptease , in front of the startled folk on the street  !!!!  A bunch of Ladies hustled her off  and repaired the damage....wonderful folk.....So...in return I helped those two  in the rental car..and said us NZ country hillbilly's would always help good folk....:)

By now..you have either gone to sleep..or given up on this  !!!

Here is the point...''Those two Ladies    ''were a Dudes on Vacation ""..but of the five geriatrics pictured...all but one still work..full time

As a matter of further mild interest...,down under, seldom, if ever hear the word   "'dude''...nor ''vacation '' 

Mike 

• Like 5