Jump to content

50 series early vs late.


acem

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, 766 Man said:

  Very few 5X88 tractors were sold new around here due to the rough farm economy of the early and mid-1980's.  I've sat in maybe 2 over the years.  None while they were brand new.  

Very few 5X88 series tractors were sold PERIOD due to the rough farm economy at the time. That's why people get so goofy over them. They're "rare."

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Very few 5X88 series tractors were sold PERIOD due to the rough farm economy at the time. That's why people get so goofy over them. They're "rare."

  Yes, but a lot more scarce here in NY than IN, IL, IA, and the rest of the Midwest.  The only two I remember new were at F & W Equipment in Geneva, NY and that was only because F & W was on the route to and from SUNY Alfred for me.  Other kids were riding with me including hot girls who had no interest in farm tractors.  At the time doom was not readily in the air for IH at least from where I sat.  Plenty of doom and gloom at home without going to look for it.  Had I known IH was ready to be broken apart maybe I would have looked at a few other dealerships to create a memory.  KG Richmond in Dansville, NY was not far away from school but then I would have had to make the time.  Back to 5X88 tractors I did get around the state at least from Auburn to Buffalo over the past 40 years and simply did not see but a few of them whether they were sold new here or brought in from the MIdwest.  I would guess that Batavia Farm Equipment sold a few being in big farm and vegetable country but then somebody deep in the Southern Tier in hill farm country probably never stocked or sold a single 5X88 tractor.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

  Yes, but a lot more scarce here in NY than IN, IL, IA, and the rest of the Midwest.  The only two I remember new were at F & W Equipment in Geneva, NY and that was only because F & W was on the route to and from SUNY Alfred for me.  Other kids were riding with me including hot girls who had no interest in farm tractors.  At the time doom was not readily in the air for IH at least from where I sat.  Plenty of doom and gloom at home without going to look for it.  Had I known IH was ready to be broken apart maybe I would have looked at a few other dealerships to create a memory.  KG Richmond in Dansville, NY was not far away from school but then I would have had to make the time.  Back to 5X88 tractors I did get around the state at least from Auburn to Buffalo over the past 40 years and simply did not see but a few of them whether they were sold new here or brought in from the MIdwest.  I would guess that Batavia Farm Equipment sold a few being in big farm and vegetable country but then somebody deep in the Southern Tier in hill farm country probably never stocked or sold a single 5X88 tractor.   

I will sell you one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i don't know of any 50 series sold new here but heard of a few of 30's. Some things i've noticed working on the fleet at work is, some of the earlier ones had the same blower fan as a 86, earlier ones used a cable instead of a rod that hooks to the assembly on the park paw and goes up the outside of the trans and hooks to the shaft that runs under the seat over to the handle but most have already been changed over and if haven't need to be. There are two different park paws last i checked from mother case the earlier one was half the cost of a newer one. fans you got the 2 bar earlier support then the 4 cross bar later. the hydraulic seat changed at one point. the remotes they changed also because there a couple different part numbers when buying parts to rebuild them for different valves, i've seen the short levers on others but none we have, tachs changed on the later ones they got away from the egt again we have one or two late model ones but nothing that late model. can't forget about the weight brackets on the fwa they are a dead give away on the later models just like the square axles but those could be on a earlier model also on square axle we got was under a 81 or 82 model 50

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

  Lets see what happens with Powerball tonight.  I would not mind having one but it sure is not in the budget at the moment.  

his is very nice if i had unlimited budget it would have been gone a long time ago lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the serial number list by year. I believe it is the first serial number for each year. I don't know the final number for each model. 

It looks like there were twice as many 5088 than 5488.

 

1679321374210852135123199296577.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, ZG6E said:

Does anyone know anything about this? I've wondered about putting a larger pump in place of the factory one for running an air seeder.

Screenshot_20230319-110706_Chrome.jpg

This doesn't answer your question but the bigger pump is not mentioned in the super 70 brochure either. It lists the same 28 gpm pump.

 

16793216819217241942081210815564.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had an early 88 tractor with this setup.  There was no metal overhang or strip there. The western foam never lasted.  We made the strip, welded it in place and the side interior foam never looked better. 

Why IH thought that would hold up in the farm world, I have no idea.  But they did fix it.

Screenshot_20230320_101645_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.52098040d92908146a12bf59743b102f.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, acem said:

Here's interior pics from the super 70 brochure. I expect this was the future for the 50 series as well. 

16793218396723502241071066100205.jpg

16793218583188539512194987099764.jpg

16793218786617215977852761737921.jpg

16793218904175711792306990436566.jpg

All the 88 cabs were going to be the same, simple, one choice of interior.  No radio at factory, was going to be dealer installed.   I will find my build sheets and post a picture 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Very few 5X88 series tractors were sold PERIOD due to the rough farm economy at the time. That's why people get so goofy over them. They're "rare."

How many did IH make?  My sources list the total production of all three tractors at ~15,000.  Certainly not rare.  I think people get giddy over them is because they were the last of the IH.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very few 5x88 tractors are around here as well, I haven't had an opportunity to run one yet. I was still in single digits when they came out. I remember seeing a couple of the 88 series tractors at our local dealership back in the day but those could have been 3x88s. 

In the early 2000s I was considering getting into doing some custom work. Rather than buying a new tractor and making large payments I was going towards purchasing an older tractor, making repairs if necessary, then hopefully could operate with less overhead. One of the possible tractors I considered was a 5x88. I went to a couple auctions to check a couple out and see what they bring. Both times I watched the auctioneer work hard to get them over $10k. I think at the time people, myself included, had misconceptions regarding those tractors because of the transmission issues they had early on probably due to a faulty sentry and the test harness being used. It really wasn't until I started coming on this site that I learned more about those tractors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

A few observations.

That sounds like the interior shown in the  super 70 brochure. Never herd them called "boomerang" panels before.

JD style console light is a good idea.

I wonder what the shifter valve changes were.

Why was the brake wear indicator removed?

Why did they go back to open center hydraulics on the 3488 and 3688?

Thanks for posting!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

How many did IH make?  My sources list the total production of all three tractors at ~15,000.  Certainly not rare.  I think people get giddy over them is because they were the last of the IH.  

I think the total 50 series production was less than 1586 production.

Farming was really bad back then. Dad was close to bankrupt. Our neighbors that didn't go bankrupt were close to it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...