50 series early vs late.

acem

What are the changes made to the 50 series tractors during their production?

My 5488 is an 82 (corrected). It has a round front axle, tilt wheel, and long auxiliary remote levers with the western interior.

They sold very few round here and I've not seen many since I was a big kid and saw them on the dealers lots. I always loved the look...

I do have several brochures for them.

Here's mine currently.

PXL_20230314_194900069.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, acem said:

What are the changes made to the 50 series tractors during their production?

My 5488 is an 83 if I remember correctly. It has a round front axle and long auxiliary remote levers with the western interior.

They sold very few round here and I've not seen many since I was a big kid and saw them on the dealers lots. I always loved the look...

I do have several brochures for them.

Here's mine currently.

i have no idea but i always heard them referred to as 88 series around here - we have a 5088 and i know the earlies like ours didnt have the tilt wheel just telescopic - my biggest complaint is you have to stretch ur neck out REALLY FAR and lean back when you turn around to see the drawbar and such when backing it up 

never seen one with the short hydraulic handles either, ours are TALL, round rods with balls on top not like those in pix - no HUGE armrest like that on ours but our seat is an air ride so that is prob why

looks like the later brochure  pix have the tall/long hydralic handles with balls on them like ours 

Early ones had flat hydraulic levers later updated to new style, Elwood was originally only fwa available later IH had theres, believe early ones had egt on gauge later ones didn’t. 

Mine has tilt and egt. The extra don't work...

I've seen some with flat auxiliary levers, similar to the 86 levers.

I sat in new ones several times back when I was a teenager. I seem to remember a 5488 with red (burgundy) interior and rice & cane duals but that was a long time ago.

Does anyone know anything about this? I've wondered about putting a larger pump in place of the factory one for running an air seeder.

Screenshot_20230319-110706_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

i have no idea but i always heard them referred to as 88 series around here 

You don’t want people confusing them with the JD 50 series made at the same time.  Referencing them as the 88 series has always made sense to me

Officially called the 50 Series but since IH nomenclature went from 06 to 86 the brand got stuck on 88 which was really the official 2 + 2 designation from 1979. Jumping Goat Herders found all that confusion rather amusing....

Short hydraulic levers, stationary steering column, & no HD steering axle until 1983 production but some of that could've been running changes as parts were exhausted.? 5088 #2196 has a decal on steel structure left of the seat for the park brake and an all wheel drive engagement lever that I've also seen on other early production. Might be for European spec AWD? since that option wasn't included for CONUS until 1983 like the other changes and was engaged with a switch on the right side console. Undated introductory leaflet for the 6788 lists a tilt wheel as standard equipment but only 10 of those were supposedly built in 1981 & 82 with most of them in 83. New product announcement leaflet for 50 Series AWD (also no date) shows long hydraulic levers but steering column status is unknown. Both the levers and the tilt column were retrofit capable with the tilt available for the 86 Series. The tilt is virtually identical to the one in all box Magnum tractors, if you can imagine that.

I'm not sure about the whole series but the early 52/5488s had a rotary Ambac fuel pump while the later ones had an inline Bosch. I've heard the rotary starts better but inline delivers better torque characteristics. My dads both have Ambac rotary. I've also heard that they were gonna put inline pumps in the 86 series but they liked how they started with the rotary pumps better.

Inline pumps arrived later but not sure when. Heard scuttlebutt they were supposed to be on some AWD 5488's but a few AWD 52's had them as I've seen one so equipped in the wild. I get the impression there was no rhyme or reason for that application. When I tried to recon inside the LH side engine door on #4452 at RPRU one year there was a rubber hose zip tied on the latch so I checked to the power instead of deploying a knife. All 72/7488's permitted to leave Rock Island either before or after the Buzzard Massacre had the inline pump.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ZG6E said:

Does anyone know anything about this? I've wondered about putting a larger pump in place of the factory one for running an air seeder.

Screenshot_20230319-110706_Chrome.jpg

I believe @Thesd5488 has the part number for that pump, I’ll see if I can find it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drysleeves said:

Inline pumps arrived later but not sure when. Heard scuttlebutt they were supposed to be on some AWD 5488's but a few AWD 52's had them as I've seen one so equipped in the wild. I get the impression there was no rhyme or reason for that application. When I tried to recon inside the LH side engine door on #4452 at RPRU one year there was a rubber hose zip tied on the latch so I checked to the power instead of deploying a knife. All 72/7488's permitted to leave Rock Island either before or after the Buzzard Massacre had the inline pump.

Serial number change, all 84 and later 5488's had the in line pump. 1480 combines also got it in 84.

Mine in the picture is a very early model . It came new with the short levers .

It does have the western interior and flow controlls by the floor .

Also has the wide armrest .

Its at my boys place , but i think the s/n is 3758 . I always thought it was an 81 model .

IH had some pretty bad growing pains with them , it spent its first year at the dealer ,was split 3 times for trans problems .

Still only has about 5200 one owner hours on it . If same family is one owner .

• Like 1

What problems with the transmission?

Mine serial number is just below 1000 which makes it an 82 model I think. I'll get the exact  number when I go back down.

It has the rotary pump.

I had a 5088 FWA with a nice big quick-attach Westendorf loader on it. Had trouble breaking the frame rails on the tractor when I was using the loader.  Got a set of used rails out of a salvage yard, and started welding supports on them and really making them beefier. Didn’t have trouble with it since then, but I was waiting for it to happen again.  Anyone else have an issue with frame rails breaking?  First time, it broke while back dragging with the loader.