666 turbo recommendations

What turbo would work best for a 666 farm stock puller? Tractor has a D360 with oilers and I’ll be running a maxed out 10mm pump from a friends 1066. Also there is no rpm limit on the classes I plan to run if that makes any difference. 

Switzer 3 LM 353 would work good on there . Call Atlas Tractor and get a clutch /flywheel and shafts for your transmission, it will fail and you don’t want to hurt yourself or anyone watching .

Danny

14 hours ago, Injpumped said:

S200 would be a great choice!

I’ve been hearing good things about them! Would you recommend the S252 or the S257 and with what size housing? 

15 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Switzer 3 LM 353 would work good on there . Call Atlas Tractor and get a clutch /flywheel and shafts for your transmission, it will fail and you don’t want to hurt yourself or anyone watching .

Danny

Thanks Danny! I forgot to mention that I have a steel flywheel and triple disc kit

I'd discuss the engine with you before committing to a turbo size for S200, but a lot of what goes into the selection is what is currently available lol! The turbos I have here, and the turbine housings are hit and miss, but I'd set it up with the 1.09, which I do have 2 of, and the S257 if wasn't seeing farm use. 

Which brings up the question of cooling.   My stock 666D runs hot, just below the H when I'm mowing ditches.   I suppose in a tractor pull you simply don't have time to overheat the tractor?

I've toyed with the idea of adding a turbo (what would you use on the 312 anyway - and could you even get a turbo manifold for it?), but not much point if I'd then overheat the engine.

9 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Which brings up the question of cooling.   My stock 666D runs hot, just below the H when I'm mowing ditches.   I suppose in a tractor pull you simply don't have time to overheat the tractor?

I've toyed with the idea of adding a turbo (what would you use on the 312 anyway - and could you even get a turbo manifold for it?), but not much point if I'd then overheat the engine.

I can’t speak for overheating since I haven’t actually ran the tractor yet and I’ll be using it just for pulling so I doubt it’ll get hot enough to cause an issue, but I did switch to an 8 fin impeller water pump from a turbocharged engine for added precaution.

And as far as manifolds there several different ways to go about it. You can either modify your existing manifold, use a 5.9 cummins manifold with some slight modifications , or buy a billet steel one from Leamans. I think I’ll be going the Cummins route.

sled pulling is such a short duration of time, it doesn't have time to overheat. Plus these modern efficient turbos do blow more fresh air through the engine which essentially helps keep slightly cooler, except running 40psi of boost will heat that charge air up lol!

Jeff , for your overheating , pull the radiator out and lay it down on a couple blocks and hot water power wash it out , after all the dirt is out wash it out inside too and re-lace your thermostat while your at it . If you can put a fan blade on there with more blades that would be great . Then move your timing to 18 or 20 degrees , I think the spec on your motor is 16 degrees . Those little motors are awesome and a turbo would be a great addition . I used to set one up for a customer back in the old days and it had the old M&W turbo setup on a 666 , the pto would start slipping at 225 hp and the thing was just getting going good 👍😎

Danny

Good info,thanks!  Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but today what turbo would be best on a working 666 - and does the 5.9 manifold fit the 312?   Or is there better options?

Gotta be careful with that PTO - it already makes a racket when I engage the 8' twin spinner Bushhog!   Near kills the motor too.

30 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Good info,thanks!  Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but today what turbo would be best on a working 666 - and does the 5.9 manifold fit the 312?   Or is there better options?

Gotta be careful with that PTO - it already makes a racket when I engage the 8' twin spinner Bushhog!   Near kills the motor too.

Here's a good option for a turbo exhaust manifold for the 312/360 engine.

http://leamantractorparts.com/turbomanifoldfordt360and312enginefor666766and886etc.aspx

On 3/7/2023 at 7:55 PM, 1955farmall400 said:

What turbo would work best for a 666 farm stock puller? Tractor has a D360 with oilers and I’ll be running a maxed out 10mm pump from a friends 1066. Also there is no rpm limit on the classes I plan to run if that makes any difference. 

Not the Farm Stock rules I'm used to! That would be open farm here. 

Years ago we pulled against a 666 turbo Diesel out of Canada, with our NA 460.  He was tough to beat!  The story I heard was he found the manifold off either a cotton picker or tomato harvester that was a turbo charged 312.

53 minutes ago, 460 said:

Years ago we pulled against a 666 turbo Diesel out of Canada, with our NA 460.  He was tough to beat!  The story I heard was he found the manifold off either a cotton picker or tomato harvester that was a turbo charged 312.

Probably a tomato harvester. I believe the manufacturer was Blackwelder and they used D301 in early machines and DT360's in the late ones and these were not truck engines. Since I built my 766 I found one of those ag turbo 360's so now I need a new project to put it in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDN 400 said:

Probably a tomato harvester. I believe the manufacturer was Blackwelder and they used D301 in early machines and DT360's in the late ones and these were not truck engines. Since I built my 766 I found one of those ag turbo 360's so now I need a new project to put it in.

You might know who I am talking about the late Frank Macko, Freight Train from the CIH dealer in Forest, ON.

I used a 3-LM 466 on my 13mm rotary pumped 312.   I pulled in a 3400rpm 7000# class,   I also ran windshield washer fluid in the water injection.   It took full rpm to launch. 

21 hours ago, CDN 400 said:

I just used a cummins manifold that came out of a guy's scrap pile and with a little work they fit.

I’m assuming it was a stock Cummins manifold? If so how much grinding did it take to make fit? I’m wondering because I had guys say to use a 2 piece style to help align the ports better and they require less grinding, problem is they’re like $500 new and I can get a used factory one for next to nothing

1 hour ago, 1955farmall400 said:

I’m assuming it was a stock Cummins manifold? If so how much grinding did it take to make fit? I’m wondering because I had guys say to use a 2 piece style to help align the ports better and they require less grinding, problem is they’re like $500 new and I can get a used factory one for next to nothing

It was a stock cummins one I guess, he had a couple different ones to pick from depending on year and application. I don't have a milling machine but what I did was used my drill press on the highest speed with a carbide die grinder bit and just used the adjustable vice on the drill press as a milling machine. It didn't take long.

DSCF0095.JPG

• Like 4