? market place ?

mmi

Re: market place 

If thats what it's called?

Would like input from "guru's"..... set up /use ....can be a  message for sensitive details.

Have alot of items to sell.

Only 2 auctions left within 75 mi ...........99% online, household/ Hv Equip....they arent competent to run a 1 car funeral ......outright refuse to do  proper photos/details , (inspections (unless their location for more $ fees) etc.  treat buyers nasty.   BP  15% +  add          $200-500 +/ mandatory on anything close to a title or with papers.  payments are <$1k cash, or wire ,soon to be govt cyrpto.

scambay is a joke at 30% + tax/inflated add ons , with locked down info

CL  is dead and otherwise filled with dealers and scams

As we know on here, the good museums/collections are folding.....many of the BTo will follow shortly.

The bto's want a cash $$$$ endowment above 3x what you 'donate'  so they can live the HIGH life, offer no contract to display, care for or pass on what you do donate

Facebook market place is good for selling your things. Also specific groups on Facebook that your items have relevance to. The old days where you hold up your hand then count out the cash and load it up are almost over.

My wife sells a lot on FB Marketplace. She takes a lot of photos including any defects and data plates. She does a complete description in plain English and states if the item is posted then it's still available. Cash only. Scammers are usually obvious and she ignores them. She still posts on CL but FB is better. Patience is required and you may need to renew many times until someone needs what you're selling.

The problem with facebook marketplace is that you have to be a member of their club to do anything. That requires giving them your most personal information so they can establish it's really you. If they don't like your answers, or your picture, or anything about you, they can just suspend your account. Their whole existence is based on doing whatever they can to prevent any sort of anonymity . I would search "how to warm up a new facebook account" for some good information before you actually try to open one. 

• Like 1

If you have a lot of stuff to sell, and don't have a lot of experience yourself, you probably should hire a professional. But it sounds like maybe choices in your area are limited. If you could give us a better idea of what you have maybe we could give suggestions of reputable sellers who could help you. If I read between the lines, I get the idea that maybe you are open to gifting your collection to a museum. That could be a good option too if you find one you are comfortable with. Of course there is always risk. It is a fact that organizations struggle for funding and items get sold off that maybe we would have liked to have seen kept.  I am in the process right now of transferring my collection. I did not want things to be discarded once I was no longer able to take care of them. Howard

just do marketplace

stuff what you don't like about it in your pocket and appreciate a free platform

if you don't want your email to be used then open a new email for this purpose

use a fake picture for your profile

don't give any accurate info, just make it up 

if your on google your info is already mined

marketplace is separate as is messenger(text app) from the main page so you don't have to "be on facebook" to use it

• Like 4

All they require is some very BASIC information from you, and if you want in, it's in your best interest to be honest. 

In addition to Marketplace (all one word BTW), there are at least three IH-specific for sale groups, local for sale groups, regional for sale groups. You don't have to be limited to Marketplace, or even use Marketplace.

Museums are up to their EYEBALLS in other people's junk. Yes, junk. Folks that think the threadbare IH mechanic's coveralls they got in a bag of rags at an estate sale are the freakin' Shroud of Turin. That kind of stuff. They don't need more. Unless it's truly something unique and one of a kind that truly belongs in a museum, sell it.

Where are these museums living "the HIGH life?" Most museums especially old tractor museums, either the owner is well off or they're in the process of going broke. Want to make a small fortune opening a museum? Start with a large fortune. It's not like these places are brimming with people unless there's a tractor show in town. Sure a place like Farmall Land seemed to be hoppin'... during RED POWER ROUNDUP! On a normal Tuesday, you'd have the place to yourself!

You donate your junk to my museum and you get to dictate to me how and when I display it, how and where I store and care for it, or when and how I liquidate it? Nu-uh. Not how it works.

• Like 2

If I'm looking for something I keep an eye on both Craigslist and market place. More going on in market place most times now it seems. I've had more responses for hay from marketplace when selling last few years also. 

• Like 1

I have a BS account, not my real name, only friends with my wife because i had to have one to join the local garage sale page. 
i have had better luck with market place than Craigslist. Set up an account with a generic picture/name/info and go. 
dip your toe in a little on the selling, just do a couple of items at first until you get the hang of it, sometimes it can be overwhelming if you get too much going on at once. 

Speaking as a buyer not a seller. 

I found my last pickup ('19 F250 SC)by doing a Craigslist search of surrounding towns. 

Straight up, no problems. 

Found and bought our last grass rig ('15 F350 SC dually) the same way. When the gentleman found out it was going to our VFD, he even came down to what we thought was a very fair price. 

I understand the scammers are out there, but just be careful and at the first red flag.........walk away. 

Scammers are getting so bad on FB that I think it would be in your best interest to make legitimate looking profile to give people confidence that they are interacting with a real, respectable person.  By scammers I mean some jackwagon in Cameroon, or other third world country, either hacks into someone's profile, or creates their own profile and steals a caucasian's profile pricture, then proceeds to join old tractor or old car groups.  They either post that they have parts for sale or respond to a parts-wanted post.  I can usually pick out these scammer profiles but unfortunately older folks who are not computer-savvy get duped and lose a few hundred dollars trying to buy a bumper for a an Ford Galaxie, or whatever they are after.  

Used car dealers have taken over Craigslist auto listing around here so I rarely even look there anymore. Still watch the Farm and garden ect once in a while.

• Like 1

Yes as ploughman says there are scammers. Recently in a group I am in some desireable car parts were for sale at a good price. There were comments that it was fake and other folks had been taken. 

32 minutes ago, mike newman said:

....wondered if you were still above the grass  @mmi  !!!

...good to see you back !!

Mike

G-Day

Hopefully a while yet before pushing daises.

Signed up for Fb 3yrs ago but when we tried MP,,pc was not compatable for 100% data capture,so they kept with" its not you" sign up now!

Then other sites and finally here about a year back knocked us off.

Been trying for 3 yrs to get MFG to do apples apples (original $700 ) DIRECT replacement with the spec tag.  $2800 + on "special order" no explanation why?

Hindia cant look/think beyond the prompter, pre build to Their spec  2012-15 models soon to age out,I 3-5 early gen chips (old) the rest  $$ but detuned, and not upgradable.

Driving 2 hours to say cdw or home build is +- $2200   and set up for over the top gaming

This door stop may work 2yrs,..so far keeps the planet safe,   10H " work day" battery lasts 3h , /50H if completely turned off ,and 4-5 h to recharge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IHandJDman said:

Craigslist is only good for farm animals.

I agree. I have had alot of success with sheep and cattle on Craigslist. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Museums are up to their EYEBALLS in other people's junk. Yes, junk. Folks that think the threadbare IH mechanic's coveralls they got in a bag of rags at an estate sale are the freakin' Shroud of Turin. That kind of stuff. They don't need more. Unless it's truly something unique and one of a kind that truly belongs in a museum, sell it.

Where are these museums living "the HIGH life?" Most museums especially old tractor museums, either the owner is well off or they're in the process of going broke. Want to make a small fortune opening a museum? Start with a large fortune. It's not like these places are brimming with people unless there's a tractor show in town. Sure a place like Farmall Land seemed to be hoppin'... during RED POWER ROUNDUP! On a normal Tuesday, you'd have the place to yourself!

You donate your junk to my museum and you get to dictate to me how and when I display it, how and where I store and care for it, or when and how I liquidate it? Nu-uh. Not how it works.

...?how to respond in  just a constructive manner..? 

The junk is gone and the "good" parts were scrapped  <'90 from lack of $$$$     Taxed storage.

Have many varied NOS items,more and better than some "elite" museums, not just rusty "tractors"

Nor was I talking mom pop outfit,running until Company cut off the retirement.  We could have done that,GC have no interest, but GGC may yet get something.

THe < 50 odd "professional" ones that actually request/ buy items and DO lease agreements. Dont have the $ now ,or the space/venue.

The next tier...too long to explain, is a play "person" lifestyle for the board/top 10    6-7 $ salaries+ E A

Tried The sort of "niche" market.... like permeant round up. regional working site 3-4 x yr all type ,shows etc. owned by 5-6 of "faux association".

I was offering to "their" building fund, to build at least part of a shop they dont have, tools and construction equip to belong to grandchildren, but kept inside/used there .except if an actual project inside.    I dont see that as much of an ask from my end.

Those 6 live a pretty good traveling life....... I had joined and ALLWAYS paid my "dues" at/during the BIG $$$$$ summer event, One of the B..... wives was SCEAMING at me ,Your delinquent ,dues MUST be paid Jan 1 ( no such rule) BC it hurts "her" cash flow........Canceling the deal just helped mine.

What we have left sells EVERY day for $$$ by BTOS or in the correct areas. Whats the value of 1 use INDOOR print items   3000x  ?   , Factory sealed items, or  2 tons of gears/ engine parts?

Got 2 post typed and battery is done

I think I have said before Facebook market place is a powerful marketing tool.  Like it or not there are more people on there then not.  Typically things sell very quickly.

Cons are lots of stupid questions and low ball offers, time consuming, etc. 

Pros are large audience and it is entirely free.

This past year I have sold a hay rake and a manure spreader for more then what I had in them, a wood pellet stove, unused wood pellets (seperate customer), a round bale unroller, and attracted literally 100s of new customers for our fall mums.  I'm sure there is more but this is what i can think of at the moment. 

• 3 weeks later...

So  currently  went thru 9k email,found confirmation where the Gc added the gmail and phone to MP

As of today MP is still disabled, but main FB  cant find the account and thus will not send a pw.

?? have to go back further .. maybe an account from  < 2017  and one /or adjustment Gc did in 2020, I do recall it would not leave/message the code on the wall phone,after they went home.

Since it is all done with AI, no adults.     Should I do a new account?  Do a delete somewhere first?

If it was buried in 9000 emails (wasn't someone complaining about "K" being used to mean 1000 when it's a METRIC term and METRIC is the DEVIL?), it was probably from years ago.

You have days or weeks, and if you don't use the account for a period of time, they delete it. A friend of mine had a fake FB account and he "let it go" a in stopped logging in, and now you can't find any trace of it.

Start over and follow through this time.

Here are their instructions. I would suggest when posting on Marketplace you use plain English rather than your shorthand as it's sometimes difficult to decode, at least for me:

https://www.facebook.com/help/1889067784738765

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

Here are their instructions. I would suggest when posting on Marketplace you use plain English rather than your shorthand as it's sometimes difficult to decode, at least for me:

https://www.facebook.com/help/1889067784738765

You know, I've learned to decode mmi shorthand pretty good.  But we on the RPF have had some practice... After all, we also have to interpret MTO, HP, and some old bloke who's always goin on about black billy tea?

mmi, my suggestion is get one of the GC to create a new account for you. You shouldn't have to delete the old. Let the GC walk you all the way through the process and stay until you have successfully posted your first ad. Best of luck, your NOS stuff is good and needed and will sell, once you have it visible to the correct audience. 

• Haha 2