Fuel Injection Shop

CIHTECH

Got one kid graduating in May from tech school coming on full time and had a high school junior start last week that shows promise. I think the help is out there it's just wages need to come up and have to hit up the high schools to stir the nest.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, F-301066460puller said:

Your in Walnut? Where was the shop you bought out? I'm in Normal via Farmer City.

Advanced diesel in decatur.

Way to go.!!!  Nothing ventured in this world.....nothing gained.....

...and ,Gosh, aren't the Red Power devotees  pleased about your substantial discount to   Forum members.....:rolleyes:

Mike :)

• Haha 4

Congrats!

Having owned a small business I know it is rewarding, frustrating, hard work, long hours, a good living and more, all at once!

I'm glad you're keeping a service and skill set alive.

I knew Jeff a little when I worked in the Injection Service of IL shop in Mossville. I knew he went to driving truck, and have dealt with his brother Jon who bought jeff out when he went trucking. I never heard about him dropping dead! I didn't know they had much to do with pulling either. I know Jeff's son is wanting to buy the building for equipment. I just searched and found his obit. All those times I saw Jon last fall he never ever mentioned Jeff dying! Both of them are younger than me! Any idea what of?

16 minutes ago, Injpumped said:

I knew Jeff a little when I worked in the Injection Service of IL shop in Mossville. I knew he went to driving truck, and have dealt with his brother Jon who bought jeff out when he went trucking. I never heard about him dropping dead! I didn't know they had much to do with pulling either. I know Jeff's son is wanting to buy the building for equipment. I just searched and found his obit. All those times I saw Jon last fall he never ever mentioned Jeff dying! Both of them are younger than me! Any idea what of?

I didn't know until last summer at Cerro Gordo pull. Heart attack I think. Just dropped dead at home I think. Was told he was back in the shop at the time. Ironically he built some good Oliver gassers. His personal 880 was tough to beat.

• Like 1

That’s great , you will do great 😊 it’s good to keep that shop going , like everyone is saying , shops are going out and no one to pickup the slack .
Danny

5 hours ago, Eason said:

Glenn when you get started I have a 856 and a 664 that need injection pump work.

Right now we are still operating out of their facility. Phones forwarded here to our shop, point of contact is also here. Customers drop pumps an etc.. here, then once a day we run between to swap completed pumps, pick up parts and drop off the next pumps in line for repair. We handle all mechanical injectors here and common rail injectors at fuel shop. Hoping to have new addition up, inventory, equipment moved and be running here by mid to late April.

The running is getting old pretty quick, as I have a lot on my plate right now, dealing with our county on building permits and codes.....WOW didn't know it was going to be this much red tape. Plus keeping up with day -to- day activities here in shop. 

Keep reminding myself that, as my late mother would have said "this too shall pass"

• Like 12

14 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Right now we are still operating out of their facility. Phones forwarded here to our shop, point of contact is also here. Customers drop pumps an etc.. here, then once a day we run between to swap completed pumps, pick up parts and drop off the next pumps in line for repair. We handle all mechanical injectors here and common rail injectors at fuel shop. Hoping to have new addition up, inventory, equipment moved and be running here by mid to late April.

The running is getting old pretty quick, as I have a lot on my plate right now, dealing with our county on building permits and codes.....WOW didn't know it was going to be this much red tape. Plus keeping up with day -to- day activities here in shop. 

Keep reminding myself that, as my late mother would have said "this too shall pass"

"" You've got this  growing pains ""

HP

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Glen, I've been waiting for some updates! What stands did you get? Ironically I bought some older Bacharach stands from out your direction last fall. Seems the pump shops are closing all over, and the few of us left have to do all the work. Being a little busy is good, but man, I can't do them all lmao!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Injpumped said:

What stands did you get?

We got (2) Bacharach's and (1) 2018 Bosch thing-ah-ma-jig that does all sorts of stuff!

The Bosch stand we had to purchase to hold our Bosch contract. I intend to learn the ins & outs of the creature somehow. 

We've been at it since March 7, I have been so covered up I am starting to question my decision.....transferring / setting up acct's an overwhelming amount of office work. 

Building contractor is running behind, but digging in water and drain lines tomorrow!!! Footers Monday...maybe have framing up by end of next week??

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Injpumped said:

Well, Glen, I've been waiting for some updates! What stands did you get? Ironically I bought some older Bacharach stands from out your direction last fall. Seems the pump shops are closing all over, and the few of us left have to do all the work. Being a little busy is good, but man, I can't do them all lmao!

What's the solution to this though?  2 things there are a huge shortage of is fuel shops and engine machine shops.  Problem is you literally cant "go to school" for either, and the only way for one to get into it is shadowing an older veteran.  Unfortunately that option doesnt often present itself.  

Personally I'd love making a living doing true craftsman precision work and would front the capital for it, but everybody would laugh at me until breathless saying "no experience"........hence the issue 

1 hour ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

What's the solution to this though?  2 things there are a huge shortage of is fuel shops and engine machine shops.  Problem is you literally cant "go to school" for either, and the only way for one to get into it is shadowing an older veteran.  Unfortunately that option doesnt often present itself.  

Personally I'd love making a living doing true craftsman precision work and would front the capital for it, but everybody would laugh at me until breathless saying "no experience"........hence the issue 

100 percent agree with first paragraph.  I think some of this is technical trades are not even mentioned in schools and less and less kids have parents involved in them so people are not aware of what it out there.  I would have never thought of being and automotive machinist in my 20s but also knew relatively little about it.  I think i have learned more actual knowledge reading books/service manuals, watching YouTube,  and actually hands on doing things than i ever did in school.  I felt like when i went to school with my two daughters to any event all i ever heard was you have to go to 4 year college over and over again or you will be a failure.  The math my daughters did in high school was total garbage.   No real world use that i could see.  The automotive machine shop we used for years the owner retired a couple years ago.  He could not find a buyer.  His longtime employee bought some of the equipment and is doing cylinder heads.  He told me the other day he was retiring in 2 years.  

1 hour ago, Paystar5000 said:

100 percent agree with first paragraph.  I think some of this is technical trades are not even mentioned in schools and less and less kids have parents involved in them so people are not aware of what it out there.  I would have never thought of being and automotive machinist in my 20s but also knew relatively little about it.  I think i have learned more actual knowledge reading books/service manuals, watching YouTube,  and actually hands on doing things than i ever did in school.  I felt like when i went to school with my two daughters to any event all i ever heard was you have to go to 4 year college over and over again or you will be a failure.  The math my daughters did in high school was total garbage.   No real world use that i could see.  The automotive machine shop we used for years the owner retired a couple years ago.  He could not find a buyer.  His longtime employee bought some of the equipment and is doing cylinder heads.  He told me the other day he was retiring in 2 years.  

Most of the technical trades programs are pretty standardized anymore honestly focus more on "diagnose and replace"...........which is fine for probably 90% of the workforce but theres a need for the 10% of people who do the precision repair/rebuilding work thats  also in demand.  

I'm unsure why automotive machining isnt addressed in normal machining classes.  Any individual capable of normal machine work should be able to comprehend the automotive side.  

As far as fuel injection work, I think too many years of "you cant do that" or "leave it to someone else" has resulted in the shortage we have.  Those that kept it rolling are petering out and now oh crap nobody was taught or mentored  on this stuff and there is a void unfortunately.  

• Like 1

Congratulations!!  I wish you the best.  I'm sure you will do fine.  There will be stress and long hours figuring it out but in the end you will have great capabilities

To quote an Indian loom operator in a documentary I saw "If you start when you are a child, you are an expert by 27" so a guy has a lot of time to find new challenges and talents I suppose

I feel the real reason there is no one to step up to take our place, is traditional fuel injection like automotive machine shops are kind of old technology. The engine world the mentality is replace with reman, or new, similar to injection systems, everything is focused on common rail. Well, I'm here to say, the old pump-line -nozzle systems will be around a very long time yet and will always need serviced. How long has it been since a new vehicle had a carburetor? 2-3 decades? There's still a huge market for carburetors and related work. Why? Because it works! Need to get the thought out of kid's heads that these are dying businesses! Evolving? Yes! Even my small shop not messing with common rail in house am able to offer my customers quality rebuilt products in a box. Many fuel shops are forced to close due to being required by Bosch to buy the 815 stand, common rail injector machine, etc. The big companies only care about servicing the current products. I am very thankful they keep making the parts for their older products, though they discontinue important parts continuously it seems! I am very glad I have kept my shop an under the radar "unauthorized" shop. 

• Like 4