282 in a 706?

pt756

Hello, did have 560 with 282, did have head trouble, never had a 706 though, was told back in those days the 282 in a 706 wasnt near the trouble and also a few more horsepower, so backwards question do many people convert the 282 to a gas engine, we also way back had a 706 that had the the 291 kit in it, the next owner converted it back to the 263, never understood why, was the 756 with the 291 any different than a 706 with a 291? thanks

3 hours ago, pt756 said:

do many people convert the 282 to a gas engine

I've never heard of it being done, so I'd have to say no.

The 282 block is very similar to the gas block though, to the point where a 6-cylinder distributor will fit in the tachometer drive hole of a 282, AND rotate off the cam. There's at least one instance of someone using a distributor as a tach drive on a 282, and expressing intent to have a little fun with it (i.e. fake spark plug wires). 

Heads are obviously different. I don't know if the head bolt pattern is the same but I doubt it so it wouldn't be an easy conversion to gas.

On the C263 vs C291, I believe to get 291 out of a 263 you need to install a "thin wall" sleeve. Unless I'm mistaken the 291 has a larger parent bore to allow for a thicker sleeve.

There are two reasons he would have gone back to the C263:
1. He had the overhaul kit on hand or knew where to get a good deal on an NOS one, saving some money.
2. He did not like the idea of the thin wall sleeve and felt better about it having stock sleeves in it.

Diesel and gas headbolt patterns don't match. Couple other holes don't lineup either. 291 conversion sleeves were same thickness as 263. 263 with sleeves removed was 282. 282 with sleeves removed was 301. 263 had wide flange at top that supported sleeve. 291 had heavy press fit sleeves with almost no flange and did not support the sleeve. The conversion kit required boring the block. The sleeves had a narrower flange that fit what was left of the 263 counterbore. Converting back to 263 would require repair sleeves.

There was a factory IH 263 to 291 special s/p set available at one time. I had the service bulletin in the c-263 parts book. I sold a few sets. I doubt it's available anymore.

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

There was a factory IH 263 to 291 special s/p set available at one time. I had the service bulletin in the c-263 parts book. I sold a few sets. I doubt it's available anymore.

i am sure that is the set that we put in our 560 in the 1970's. machine company came out to neighbors shop and bored out engine block and neighbor completed the job. It turned that tractor from a pussycat into a tiger. we still have that wonderful tractor today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

You mean 291 with sleeves removed, right? That was always my understanding. 

I’ve heard the 263 without sleeves is a 301, but to run the big pistons you need to put repair sleeves in the very top of the cylinders because of the counter bore.

11 hours ago, cedar farm said:

I got a set of them maybe 15 years ago for a 656 I was overhauling that had already been bored to the 291. The owner always wondered why it had so much power! 

My dad had an m&w 291 s&p kit put in his 706 gas back in the day.  Required boring the block so I cannot imagine a way to easily convert it back to a 263 without going back to a standard block.  It made 94 horsepower on the dyno which was the same as a stock 806.  Burned six gallons an hour though of 21 cent gas.  You couldn’t make it through a long morning or afternoon without refueling, but it held together and got a lot of work done!

41 minutes ago, axial_al said:

My dad had an m&w 291 s&p kit put in his 706 gas back in the day.  Required boring the block so I cannot imagine a way to easily convert it back to a 263 without going back to a standard block.  It made 94 horsepower on the dyno which was the same as a stock 806.  Burned six gallons an hour though of 21 cent gas.  You couldn’t make it through a long morning or afternoon without refueling, but it held together and got a lot of work done!

If that's the case then something was lost in translation because it would be too much work and expense to go back to a 263. Unless he replaced the whole engine.

14 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

If that's the case then something was lost in translation because it would be too much work and expense to go back to a 263. Unless he replaced the whole engine.

I’m thinking he meant they changed the whole engine back to a 263 out of something else.