Farmall M Starter Ring Gear Flip

LipRipper3006

ring gears are generally tapered to match the pinion gear. You could just take it off and re-install it in a different location as a gas engine always stops in the same place. I see on ebay new ones are around 90.00.

m ring gears are straight cut no taper just drive it off the fly wheel fairly straight flip it over and heat enough to expand it . (that is NOT red hot)tap it back on to seat it. I have replaced a lot of them over the years no real tricks involved.

On my 656 I had a starter that was hitting the teeth and not sliding in. (acted/sounded like the motor was locked up)

I just touched up the offending teeth with a small file. 

Just took a little time to roll the starter ring all the way around with a medium pry bar, and it wasn't that many teeth as it only hits in the same three places.

Made a huge difference, started great afterwards and all I had to do was pull the starter 

656ringgear1.jpg.bedfa07c4a6103bda3afae3165ac303b.jpg

656ringgear2.jpg.048744358f639c0f7dc6bd38745302ca.jpg

I would check that in side diameter has a 45 degree chamber . 
I would recommend you replace the gear with a new one from parts vendors. 
I also see wear to the gears teeth that appears the is another issue with starter drive that must be corrected . Like it to far in and wearing the on teeth of ring. 

6 hours ago, LipRipper3006 said:

Is the ring gear on an M flywheel safe to flip? The gear has one or two rough spots and I just had the starter rebuilt and would like to have a fresh surface for it.

If it hasn't already been flipped, yes.

I'm surprised that flipping the ring gear isn't a more widely accepted practice. From what I understand they're designed to be flipped to double the wear.

Dad was always able to get away with dressing a few teeth with a file, though.

The other side is unused was just wondering if there was a bevel originally or if they're square teeth. I have the tractor apart and painted, just noticed two spots that had a bit of wear that I didn't like when knocking out the pilot bearing.

I flipped on an H before without grinding any edges off but didn't know if I was supposed to or if I had just gotten lucky.

328092505_764596608428083_986736221983993226_n.jpg

37 minutes ago, LipRipper3006 said:

The other side is unused was just wondering if there was a bevel originally or if they're square teeth. I have the tractor apart and painted, just noticed two spots that had a bit of wear that I didn't like when knocking out the pilot bearing.

I flipped on an H before without grinding any edges off but didn't know if I was supposed to or if I had just gotten lucky.

328092505_764596608428083_986736221983993226_n.jpg

You have done all this and you don’t want to buy a ring gear?

7 hours ago, Binderoid said:

You have done all this and you don’t want to buy a ring gear?

He's going to be awful disappointed when he does buy a ring gear and it's just as square on both sides as the one he has now is on the unused side.

The first side lasted 75-ish years, and the new ones are made who knows where, so there's that to consider. No reason to believe the second side won't last another 75 years.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

He's going to be awful disappointed when he does buy a ring gear and it's just as square on both sides as the one he has now is on the unused side.

The first side lasted 75-ish years, and the new ones are made who knows where, so there's that to consider. No reason to believe the second side won't last another 75 years.

Just thinking out loud... not my cup of tea. If this is your bag, go for it. He obviously has a lot of time and money in the thing, but to draw the line at another $90 for a part he obviously thinks is defective.... People will find the strangest places to cut corners. 

4 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

x2 as quare cut gear lasted probably 2-3 farmers already and the gear is not wore out just a couple of poor spots he didn't say he was having engagement trouble. I would  turn it over  and save the money for parts that are wore out

6 hours ago, Binderoid said:

He obviously has a lot of time and money in the thing, but to draw the line at another $90 for a part he obviously thinks is defective.... People will find the strangest places to cut corners. 

All the more reason to save the money and just flip it. A penny saved is a penny earned. I’ve never understood why people want to spend 10K on a 2K tractor. Save small amounts here and there on a project can realy help on the budget. 

3 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

All the more reason to save the money and just flip it. A penny saved is a penny earned. I’ve never understood why people want to spend 10K on a 2K tractor. Save small amounts here and there on a project can realy help on the budget. 

It's a slippery slope deciding just to throw something new at something that can be reused. If I replaced every piece that showed a little wear those Ben Franklins would disappear rather quickly. I don't see the tractor being started let alone used very much, maybe one show a year and driving around a few so the ring gear should last quite a while considering the other lasted 75 years being used as a workhorse.

Flipped it on my 656 when it was appart.  I do believe some of the larger tractors and trucks can't be flipped due to the lead in chamfer on the teeth.

"He obviously has a lot of time and money in the thing, but to draw the line at another $90 for a part he obviously thinks is defective.... People will find the strangest places to cut corners. "

New parts from China vs. tested original. I will go for the tested original every time.

• Like 1

A flip and chamfer is in order there. You have a reverse chamfer started which just makes the gear hit harder. Things get worse faster from here. A slight chamfer on the opposite side let's the gear slide in a little further before impact. Extending life of both ring gear and bendix.  Do not over chamfer. It weakens the tooth. A little bit helps a lot. Make sure there is no reverse chamfer on bendix.