Microsoft

SONNY

I was a Trash 80 guy. 

An old roommate who works for a spy equipment company says you can recover data from any hard drive if it is still complete. Even if the data was erased. It might be expensive though.

Their destruction of hard drives with classified information includes shredding and burning the remains.

Good luck.

7 hours ago, Sresites said:

OMG. I haven’t heard anyone else even say Wordstar in years. I started with an Osborne computer in November of 1981. CPM, 2 floppies and a lot of cussing. 

We got issued an S100 system at work - 2 x 8 inch floppys.  I got the job of "computerfuhrer".  After reading what it came with I said to the typing pool -

"This has a thing called a word processor.  I'd like one of you to drive the keyboard while I read about what it does."

They volunteered the youngest, and, as soon as she realised that she was never going to have to retype a document or letter again, she was sold.

We had a couple of Canon daisywheel typewriters for the typists.  I discovered that the Canons had an adapter to connect via a serial port and the girls didn't have to retype quality material either.

• Like 1

When I first started working as an engineer in 90 Potlatch was not particularly tech savvy. Our department (technical department) had a typist who typed all the documents (with a word processor) doing the necessary editing for grammar, etc. She also maintained records of all our documents (file cabinets).

When I started everybody was writing their reports by hand and she typed them. My handwriting is was horrible and I strongly preferred using a word processor. I would use my computer at home, print them and hand them to her to retype. Finally I pirated a copy of the software she was using (word perfect?) started giving her the file on a 3.5 floppy.

I'd been doing this for a while and my boss asked me about it. He liked the idea but was concerned because I was using my computer and the software was not legal. He bought me a computer for my office with legal software, second in our department (first was the typist). Soon everybody had one and we were networked.

We got a special printer that let you make slides. So I would make slides on the computer, print them to a slide and present them with a slide machine!

When I was a freshman in college (85) we used the mainframe using terminals alot. Most of the terminals had screens but some were keyboard/printer terminals. It printed everything instead of displaying it on a screen. I was using one next to a second story window and had the bright idea to put the end of the paper out the open window. I was doing alot of work and it took a few hours to finish. When I was done there was a big pile of paper on the ground!

A girl I knew in college used a cpm personal computer, Osborne?  It was the first portable computer I had seen. Her father was an engineer working in Taiwan and I expect it was his old computer. Looking back she flirted with me alot. I was young and stupid, at least in regards to women.  I should have taken advantage of the offer...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, acem said:

A girl I knew in college used a cpm personal computer, Osborne?  It was the first portable computer I had seen. Her father was an engineer working in Taiwan and I expect it was his old computer. Looking back she flirted with me alot. I was young and stupid, at least in regards to women.  I should have taken advantage of the offer...

Does your wife read this forum ever?  Somethings are best left unsaid.😄

• Haha 2

She doesn't normally read the forum but...

Actually that was 20 years before we met. She was married to someone else at the time and lived in another time zone. I was married and divorced before I met her as well.

Party on garth!

On 2/22/2023 at 9:43 AM, acem said:

I was a Trash 80 guy. 

An old roommate who works for a spy equipment company says you can recover data from any hard drive if it is still complete. Even if the data was erased. It might be expensive though.

Their destruction of hard drives with classified information includes shredding and burning the remains.

Good luck.

I have been in computers and computer systems since 1963.  Yes, we had digital companies in 1963 from IBM, Univac and others. Even had a system computer printer and keyboard a teletype model 29 for data entry. Reel to reel mag tape for long term storage, and core memory for dynamic storage. by 85 things  were basically the same as today, just slower and more expensive.  AT&T developing the transistor and Texas Instruments, developing the integrated transistor circuit was probably the most important  engineering in my life time. 

I have seen good quality companies, technology  and engineering come and go. Remember that success is based on MARKETING, not technology expertise or quality of the engineering of the product

Our current computer system is an HP  Pavilion model with an Intel quad core I5, 12 GB ddr4 memory 512 GB SSD  (solid state disk) W11, with an HP color laser printer.

Everything about the Sun V Solaris (UNIX) based server systems I maintained around 2005 worked just as well or better BUT much more expensive. 1 of the best systems I have ever worked with!

To be honest, I liked the old days when I would sit in front a large console that was directed connected to the inner-workings of the computer and look up at spinning tape reels, in the background would be the sound of a line-at-a-time printer printing out a box of paper for a program listing. Yes the punched card input would still be used.

well fellas, i work on these all day every day, take your pick, they all have their problems, nothing different about a mac hardware then a windows box they used intel processors and system boards suitable for just such architecture, the only diff is the operating system and pick your poison - apple did start making their own processors now in teh past 2 yrs so they now are on the M2 processors and macs are no more stable than a windows box in a day to day corporate environment, they crap out just like microsoft, linux stuff meeeh its ok for basic stuff but not good for large scale use due to incompatibility and availability of stuff to run with it. 

we have lenovo, dell, dynabook/toshiba, hp, apple, surface, and they all have their quirks and break daily - we buy them with 3yr wtys and get rid of them. SSDs are more stable than rotary drives i will say that. Dont see many memory stick issues anymore, displays, fans, i would say are the weak links. 

we are phasing out w10 because of support going end of life so have moved to win11 and honestly, other than feature changes its been solid for me ive been running it for 10 hours a day at work since last august w/out any complaints. ITs free you can go out and download it and create a boot stick. 

yes i have ubuntu on a usb stick, i dont use it much, i have an ipad, macbook, blah blah and at teh moment im running a dell precision laptop and surface pro9 as we are building out and testing modern desktop/autopilot/intune on ARM based devices ( computers with phone based hardware/architecture ) that run on cell phone radio chipsets over 5g. 

like anything else, great when it works, not so great when it doesnt. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Re punch card input.

There is a line from an English poem that goes "They also serve who only stand and wait".

Seemed to also to students waiting for turn around in a computer ready room back them.

In the 70's I took a COBAL programming class in a local JC for skills updating. (back then COBAL was starting to be  introduced to the personal computer market) They were still training keypunch operators, those students entered all my programs into the system for testing, I didn't spend a minute in front of an IBM (1704?) keypunch machine, just a print out for my program listing and run report.

If you're advanced enough to build your own systems, I'm surprised you lost anything. Back in the day when I built computers as a hobby, I'd just build the new system on a different hard drive and retrieve my data from the other drive. Very rare that you can't plug the old drive in and copy the data off it.

My laptop got corrupted and wouldn't boot here a couple months ago. I was able to build a USB boot drive with my mom's laptop, got it booted, and xcopy everything off to an external hard drive.

After that I reinstalled Windows. Windows install preserved all my data in a directory called "Windows.old" so I didn't even have to copy it back from the external drive. All I had to do was sign into google to get all my passwords back, and drop my email profile into thunderbird to get all my email back.

Can't you just click on "forgot my password" and get your password if you lost it? It's always worked for me.

We ran a 14" fixed-head disk for years in the back-office for grocery stores. It was a Datachecker 1600 built by National Semiconductor. It held the database for all the cash registers in the stores and communicated with the store chains corporate data center nightly for daily totals and item updates.  Store chains still used a similar system so far as I know. I got out of that business in 2000.  Today stores chains like Walmart are constantly on line with their HQ. A store manager often receives replacement items before they even know hey sold them.  Store inventory update automation was a shining star for the computer industry.  National Semiconducter Datachecker Systems was the originator of the laserlabel scanner in  the early 70's and the 1500 morphed  into the 1600 and was the origina back office  computer at Kroger and Safeway and many other chains.  NCR was also in the business. By the way, solid state drives are not new technology, the 1700 a replacement for the 1600 used a solid state drive that emulated an 8" Winchester hdsk introduced in 1985, (we never went t0 a 3.5" hard drive skipped it and went straight to Static ram drives when the chips got dense enough and cost was manageable). Our techs loved it. They no longer had to carry around 30# hard drives. 2 ea 9V transistor batteries would keep the drives backed up in case of a power failure. We were also using Lithium batteries for battery backup in the same time period.

SONNY

Posted February 21

Been off the internet for a while cause stupid microsoft tried to put w-11 on my 6 year old computer that wont handle it and destroyed the motherboard! 

Anyway I did cobble up another unit so I am back til they destroy this one! Lost all my passwords and the ones I had written down didnt work anymore so I been guessing at them! Just figured the one out for this forum today.

been knocked off about 8 mo.

MS destroyed alot in old pc 5 yrs back,works good except online, the last 18 months with 100% direct auto report to MS/govt, therefore  it is not "SAFE".

So all the updates, sites do (including here 10-12 mo back) deems it hack so couldnt post etc.

Finally found one for fill in , 75% off $ the direct replacement.   All pre built to poor specs,....if you want v8 cant have 6 spd, want 16" tires cant have radiator or radio!

win 11 or 10 short only option available ..wouldnt even open up without "phone home" to MS and sky net.so had to get an rj45 patch for that.

Now it has pop up everywhere.....auto  types (not  correct).whole groups of "suggestions"

wants to capture/ store the endless pw/s {3 .5 pgs now) needed for EVERY connection/ function, site ....why bother when all the "criminals have pw" access

paid for tech support ....good  needed already....as advertised battery at "all day +" was lasting 2.5h and running too hot to hold.

took hindia  1.5 h  to do update re firm re boot

Anyhoo       What can I turn off disable?

best browser?    fire fox?  despise installed edge g spy etc

best email capture from ISP  ?   as in stores complete on computer /media, opens and reads offline?    moxilla ?bird?

stand alone  data back up  in house,  method?