Microsoft

SONNY

Been off the internet for a while cause stupid microsoft tried to put w-11 on my 6 year old computer that wont handle it and destroyed the motherboard! 

Anyway I did cobble up another unit so I am back til they destroy this one! Lost all my passwords and the ones I had written down didnt work anymore so I been guessing at them! Just figured the one out for this forum today.

also lost several thousand pix. but I have copies of the important ones and they are safe. 

Any of you guys had this happen to you yet?

And I did even get me a different desk while I had everything tore up! lol!

DSCN1390.JPG

Last week I was so fed up with Microsoft I was ready to throw my computer in the snowplow.

Fighting the transition from internet explore to edge.

If your hard drive is still there all of your stuff is probably still on it.

Backup, backup, backup! Having a MAC won't help if your HD fails. I use Macrium reflect and image the drive. It saved my butt when the motherboard died on my favorite old laptop. I found a board on Ebay for $25 and restored the image which included the operating system W10) and everything else up to the date I imaged the drive - about a week old.

I had previously used Carbonite and while it had most everything backed up it took days to load. That was a HD fail.

My favorite old laptop is an old ThinkPad. It's like grampa's axe. Instead of two new heads and three new handles it has two new screens, a couple of hard drives, at least one keyboard, several batteries and and a motherboard!

It's had a hard life being dragged all over the world and being tossed by baggage gorillas, van drivers, and operator abuse including spilled liquids. It stays home now and I'm using a new ThinkPad on the road. Memory and probably battery are soldered in. It weighs maybe one third, has a way better display and isn't really any faster since the other one has as much memory as it will hold and a SSHD. 

I declined W11 as I see no advantage. 10 has been absolutely stable unlike the previous versions.

2 hours ago, IKS said:

Last week I was so fed up with Microsoft I was ready to throw my computer in the snowplow.

Fighting the transition from internet explore to edge.

Try Firefox. I never liked Explorer, haven't tried edge.

• Like 2

My dad had a massive hard drive failure, lost the business program and all the billing and inventory, hard drive was deemed destroyed, was going to cost a couple thousand to try to recover anything and at that they weren’t sure anything would be saved. 
A friend recommended a private computer repair company semi locally, it has been wonderful . They built him a computer in a couple days, everything he needed, nothing he didn’t, cost was less than name brand package purchase. They handle all of his backup, it is a paid service, but well worthwhile considering how devastating it was to loose years of documentation, which included years of email. Whenever there is an issue he has a local number he can call and a local person who solves his problem. So far they have been few and far between. 

6 hours ago, SONNY said:

Lost all my passwords and the ones I had written down didnt work anymore so I been guessing at them! Just figured the one out for this f

Helpful hints from your local high tech redneck 🙄🙄🙄

295306970_10228019657306844_7051665233079232773_n.jpg.f1d76beebcda3c5ec23429aa440e43af.jpg

SkepticalCat.gif.0d0ff80de520a0ce335cded24e40fa9f.gif

😉😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

12 hours ago, SONNY said:

Been off the internet for a while cause stupid microsoft tried to put w-11 on my 6 year old computer that wont handle it and destroyed the motherboard! 

Anyway I did cobble up another unit so I am back til they destroy this one! Lost all my passwords and the ones I had written down didnt work anymore so I been guessing at them! Just figured the one out for this forum today.

also lost several thousand pix. but I have copies of the important ones and they are safe. 

Any of you guys had this happen to you yet?

And I did even get me a different desk while I had everything tore up! lol!

DSCN1390.JPG

Who said it was the motherboard?  Very odd.  As stated, it's possible your data was still there.  The sync built into some browsers is useful for passwords, just resign in if you get a new computer, a password manager is useful too.  I'd set up at least one external backup drive with automatic backups.  And online backup doesn't hurt either.

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

My dad had a massive hard drive failure, lost the business program and all the billing and inventory, hard drive was deemed destroyed, was going to cost a couple thousand to try to recover anything and at that they weren’t sure anything would be saved. 
A friend recommended a private computer repair company semi locally, it has been wonderful . They built him a computer in a couple days, everything he needed, nothing he didn’t, cost was less than name brand package purchase. They handle all of his backup, it is a paid service, but well worthwhile considering how devastating it was to loose years of documentation, which included years of email. Whenever there is an issue he has a local number he can call and a local person who solves his problem. So far they have been few and far between. 

If the hard drive completely dies, it is very expensive to get data off.  They have to open up the drive.  Building a computer can take less than 10 minutes, plus time to install software things.  It isn't difficult.

7 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Give Brave a try

Good browser.  Based on Chromium browser, which is what Google Chrome is based on.

6 hours ago, acem said:

Anyone remember Netscape?

Netscape basically became Firefox.  I used to get pre-release versions of Netscape off of their ftp servers.

1 hour ago, acem said:

They can recover the data from your hard drive if your pockets are deep enough...

This one had metal filings in it, they weren’t making any promises and it was incredibly expensive.

5 hours ago, Cows_etc said:

plus time to install software things.  It isn't difficult.

It is knowing what, how, how much where to click, etc. we know about wire nuts, don’t know much about computers. 

Switched over to Linux Mint 2 years ago, and have never had the slightest, remote or eager wish to revisit the crowd from Redmond...

Made a backup of my Documents, Pictures, Videos etc.  Installed Mint in 40 minutes, and took another 2 hours for copying the data onto Mint, and never looked back..

2 hours ago, dewets said:

Switched over to Linux Mint 2 years ago, and have never had the slightest, remote or eager wish to revisit the crowd from Redmond...

Made a backup of my Documents, Pictures, Videos etc.  Installed Mint in 40 minutes, and took another 2 hours for copying the data onto Mint, and never looked back..

Just remember that Microsoft and IBM now have seats on the Linux governing committee IIRC

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

X3

Never liked Apple as a company, they certainly aren't much better than the others (especially on the right to repair issues, and consumer practices), but, their OS is ok.  Linux-like in many areas, actually several things that are quite similar.

Have never lost data due to Microsoft though.  And haven't had any type of crash in several years, using a mix of Windows/Linux.  I did set up a Hackintosh once too.

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

It is knowing what, how, how much where to click, etc. we know about wire nuts, don’t know much about computers. 

True, true.  I've had an 80 year old lady do an install once though.  I couldn't stay and watch at the time.  I started it, said just ok/yes everything or best guess and not worry about it, and it was on.  I did do some finishing stuff but overall she got it going, or course there wasn't a need for much additional software.  And, illiterate about it to say the least.  Hardware is basic.  Motherboard going in, just make sure all posts line up with the holes so you don't get a short (posts can be moved/removed, so you can have extras to look out for).  CPU goes one way, and it's marked, ram goes in one way, cables one way, or some either way, etc.

Linux install, might take 15 minutes plus time copying anything.  Last time I did one anyway, depending on the distro.

15 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

You'd likely remember Wordstar too then?

OMG. I haven’t heard anyone else even say Wordstar in years. I started with an Osborne computer in November of 1981. CPM, 2 floppies and a lot of cussing.