Jump to content

farmall m fire crater kit


Dell

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

You always leave out the part that the 4010 was a gas.  Which even I think are junk to begin with.  6 cylinder 302 cu vs a long stroke 4 cylinder 326 cu.  I can see it happening.  Shouldn't shock anybody

It sure shocked the JD dealer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/23/2023 at 11:03 AM, acem said:

How did the rear ends hold up with the power upgrade?

Just thinking of the 560 rear ends.

There are several  M's through 560's running over 200 HP tractor pulling , some running even more power with V-8. Yes there is some breakage but it isn't a big problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

You always leave out the part that the 4010 was a gas.  Which even I think are junk to begin with.  6 cylinder 302 cu vs a long stroke 4 cylinder 326 cu.  I can see it happening.  Shouldn't shock anybody

if that was such a shortfall why didn't JD increase the cubes so it pulled well or rebadged it another number if it did not live up the the model designation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hillman said:

if that was such a shortfall why didn't JD increase the cubes so it pulled well or rebadged it another number if it did not live up the the model designation

To be brutally honest I don’t have a good answer because I don’t give a crap.  You can scrap every 4010/20 gas engine and it wouldn’t bother me.  I’m sure the 4010 gas lived up to its billing against the 560 gas.  I would be willing to bet money that 326 cu M would out plow a 560 too maybe even hang with 660 gas.  An honest IH guy will say IH went backwards in a few areas when they replaced the old M type engine with the C263.  I have the only stock Farmall M in the country and even then it lugs good for only 30+ hp.  
 

Also, JD did increase the cubes……….on the 4020.  Remember the Waterloo 10 series were replaced after only on the market for 3 years no doubt to fix any short comings and to blunt the introduction of the 06 series that came out the same year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

 

Dad had an M with the M&W pistons and I believe the governor too. Dyno tested 55 HP. When it was hot the 6 volt battery would hardly turn it over. 

thats a perfect hp IMHO

 M&W sold a gear reduction starter kit for the harder starting tractors. at that time I think 12 volts was the way to go 

mwebat2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, supermpuller said:

There are several  M's through 560's running over 200 HP tractor pulling , some running even more power with V-8. Yes there is some breakage but it isn't a big problem.

I watched a handful of 560's this weekend pushing 500 horse, pretty sweet to watch!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2023 at 4:51 PM, 560Dennis said:

There’s an I h bulletin 4 pages from Case get it !
I had it but deleted  it when the iPad memory filled up . 
gives camshafts ,head numbers 
Not good with kerosene head , and they are not recommended with magneto, we modified our magneto on the Farmall c 

Distributor is change shaft to  is moved from 35 degrees  to 25 approx 

I f you do what they say it will snort ,if not probably be less that you got now ,just saying these details are important. 

Ok where do I get a copie of that bulletin? I’ve done searches no luck?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, superih said:

I watched a handful of 560's this weekend pushing 500 horse, pretty sweet to watch!

 

9 hours ago, supermpuller said:

Thats the Rushville gang, DT 466 converted to gas over 700 cu.

Rank amateurs . . . so to speak  . . . 20 + years ago when it was affordable to attend an Outlaw tractor pull, the Texas Bullwhip was running a DT466 block with a custom billet head fueled by alcohol and turbocharged to the hilt . . . I was told 4000 + hp . . . the sound was hair raising . . . turbos muted the exhaust crack nearly to nothing but there came a weird rumble that must have been carrying right through the block.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gearclash said:

 

Rank amateurs . . . so to speak  . . . 20 + years ago when it was affordable to attend an Outlaw tractor pull, the Texas Bullwhip was running a DT466 block with a custom billet head fueled by alcohol and turbocharged to the hilt . . . I was told 4000 + hp . . . the sound was hair raising . . . turbos muted the exhaust crack nearly to nothing but there came a weird rumble that must have been carrying right through the block.

Well, turbos aren't allowed or they would be running them!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Dell said:

Ok where do I get a copie of that bulletin? I’ve done searches no luck?

I d call Doug Brenemen  technical services at Messicks ,tell him what you’re doing ask for a bulletin file  . That’s where I got mine . He sent me a email files . That way I’m sure you get what you want . 

I just kept the one for Farmall c ,super C unfortunately 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

heres some pics of pistons for a C164 (Super H ) , M pistons are just bigger

 When someone asks how many hp a Letter Series is I cannot give a good answer. Theres the 3 pistons shown in the pic plus M&W and flat top pistons and several cylinder heads  The new pic I added is an A&I piston which looks more like the M&W piston .  . I put a W9 piston behind them for comparison. 

DSCI1530.JPG

DSCI1531.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I bought a set of IH FireCrater sleeve & pistons from WEBER TRACTOR WORKS about 2 years ago, genuine IH still in the box, oversize bore 3-9/16ths with step head pistons, 169 Cid. I haven't put them in yet. I absolutely couldn't bring myself to put crappy made in China parts in My tractor.

WEBER has an ad in every Red Power Magazine, page 48 top right side of the page in Jan/Feb '23 issue. Yes, there's still new old stock turning up in old IH dealer's shelves.

   Dad had 5000 ft altitude high altitude oversize 4" pistons & sleeves in his '51 M when it was about 4-5 years old. I'm pretty sure his SM-TA He bought about 1960 was stock, but think spring of '61 He took both SM-TA & '51M to town for a tune-up. MTA made 47 hp, M made 48. The M got M&W's installed about '64-'65, but no dyno pull. They're still in the engine. SH still has the factory installed pistons in it. Head and oil pan has never been off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...