Jump to content

farmall m fire crater kit


Dell

Recommended Posts

I remember talking to my grandfather about his M , when he was going to buy it Whites brought it up  to the farm he hitched it up to a set three bottom plows and wasnt happy he told the to take it back. They said that they could put a power kit in it. They did and he bought it. Grandpa told me it had bigger pistons ,carb kit, and something in the distributor. well i can figure out getting pistons . but need help with a carb kit and distributor kit. i might be crazy but i want a M just like my grandfather had. any help.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carburetor parts had jets and  other parts to change air and fuel metering. Distributor kit was a shaft and springs to change timing advance and maximum advance from 40 degrees at crank to 22 degrees. Sleeves were thinner and piston diameter 1/8 inch bigger. Top of piston shape was changed from previous pistons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The M&W kit was 1/2 inch stroke and 4.25 bore,  recalibrated distributor, carb, different cam, radiator. , larger oil  pan, high compression. the motor had 326 cu. and ran 70 to 75 hp. You could get 60 hp out of a SM   with thin sleeves  and pick up 1.25  bore and firecrater piston and turn up RPM's 10 percent.  Most farmers went this route .There was a old farmer close buy who sold all the M&W parts and had a 41 M  with all the goodies . When the JD 4010 was released the local JD dealer brought one out to his farm for a demo. The 4010 had a 3 point 4 bottom plow  the M had pulled type 4 bottom plow. They went out to a  field 1/2 mile long. The JD went first with the M right behind, when they turned around at the other end, the dealer was showing and pointing out all the advantages and power the JD had. The old farmer said let me go first this time and off they went. by the time they got back to the barn the M was ahead  125 yards.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s an I h bulletin 4 pages from Case get it !
I had it but deleted  it when the iPad memory filled up . 
gives camshafts ,head numbers 
Not good with kerosene head , and they are not recommended with magneto, we modified our magneto on the Farmall c 

Distributor is change shaft to  is moved from 35 degrees  to 25 approx 

I f you do what they say it will snort ,if not probably be less that you got now ,just saying these details are important. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The carb improvement kit was 374261R92. I had 80-90 of them NOS at one time. I should look. My count shows I have four left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, IHC-DK said:

Would like one too if you find them.

Thanks Andreas 

I put a note on my desk to check monday

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like these may still be available from Case/IH for around $75/hole.

PISTON ASSY
CYLINDER SLEEVE WITH PISTON, complete (''Fire crater increased power'') (Gasoline - standard altitude)
 
PISTON
CYLINDER SLEEVE WITH PISTON, complete (''Fire crater increased power'') (Gasoline - high altitude)
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

It looks like these may still be available from Case/IH for around $75/hole.

PISTON ASSY
CYLINDER SLEEVE WITH PISTON, complete (''Fire crater increased power'') (Gasoline - standard altitude)
 
PISTON
CYLINDER SLEEVE WITH PISTON, complete (''Fire crater increased power'') (Gasoline - high altitude)
 

It appears from the links they are NLA. I would be interested if they are available. do you have other links

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, hillman said:

It appears from the links they are NLA. I would be interested if they are available. do you have other links

The 374264r91 is superseded to AS128649AP for $75.00 each.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, hillman said:

the chart I posted is M&W power gains. Does anyone have Firecrater and Power Adder claims?

Don't have M test. SM according to IH tests of engine in good operating condition and installed with fire crater kit. At standard atmospheric conditions 29.92 inches of barometric pressure and air temperature of 60 expect 59 HP at flywheel and due to losses through power train 52.5 to 53.5 at PTO. Additional HP cand be obtained using camshaft 48196DA or DB and the 450- type manifold 362437R2. Around 3 HP more. Template included with kit was used to mark front crank pulley to set time at 22 degrees at 1450 RPM. After the distributor package with kit was installed. 48196DA was used in 400 and part of 450 engines DB used in 450 depends what year instructions were printed on camshaft specified. Difference in the two cans was DA had right hand threads to hold gear on and DB left hand to improve nut getting loose. Kits for 400 and 450 60.5 at flywheel and 54 t0 55 at PTO. Gasoline heads used, the SM heads had more volume than the 400 and 450 but pistons were different for the kits so wasn't much difference in compression. Both kits were 4.125 pistons. With later manifold and cam installed on a SM the HP would be close to same. Since a gasoline 400 and 450 used a 25 degree maximin advance to start with they didn't change those with the kits. Just a guess on why they stayed with 25 degree on the 400 and 450 is the difference in combustion chamber shape from the SM. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took some pics of a Firecrater and Extra Power pistons. The Firecrater has the bigger more rounded dome on it. I sold a set that were called Power Adder with were only overbore with flat tops. Its odd they offered so many options. 

Allis Chalmers offered Power crater kits

 

pistons.jpg

piston fr.jpg

20230224_143636_003 (2).jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

found a pic of the set I sold. I thought they were power adders. but they are Extra Power same as the domed set to add  to the puzzle., this set was for a C152 while the other sets were for a C164 but I don't think that makes a difference

DSCI1948.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2023 at 1:13 PM, supermpuller said:

The M&W kit was 1/2 inch stroke and 4.25 bore,  recalibrated distributor, carb, different cam, radiator. , larger oil  pan, high compression. the motor had 326 cu. and ran 70 to 75 hp. You could get 60 hp out of a SM   with thin sleeves  and pick up 1.25  bore and firecrater piston and turn up RPM's 10 percent.  Most farmers went this route .There was a old farmer close buy who sold all the M&W parts and had a 41 M  with all the goodies . When the JD 4010 was released the local JD dealer brought one out to his farm for a demo. The 4010 had a 3 point 4 bottom plow  the M had pulled type 4 bottom plow. They went out to a  field 1/2 mile long. The JD went first with the M right behind, when they turned around at the other end, the dealer was showing and pointing out all the advantages and power the JD had. The old farmer said let me go first this time and off they went. by the time they got back to the barn the M was ahead  125 yards.

 

 

 

 

You always leave out the part that the 4010 was a gas.  Which even I think are junk to begin with.  6 cylinder 302 cu vs a long stroke 4 cylinder 326 cu.  I can see it happening.  Shouldn't shock anybody

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is Bill Burnham the M&W Guy ( he helped me with last year's project- great guy !) Theres a lot of chirping in the comments that he can't stop , ......its  in a field and he can slow up and stop 

That old 450 is barkin' and the M is in a hurry LOL

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hillman said:

I took some pics of a Firecrater and Extra Power pistons. The Firecrater has the bigger more rounded dome on it. I sold a set that were called Power Adder with were only overbore with flat tops. Its odd they offered so many options. 

Allis Chalmers offered Power crater kits

 

pistons.jpg

piston fr.jpg

20230224_143636_003 (2).jpg

Not sure of name but IH sold overbore kits before fire craters with flat head and step head pistons. Step heads were originally used on 5000 and 8000 altitude engines or LP on SM and part of 400 tractors.  If remember correct the pistons for M and SM starting with numbers 366 or 367 used small piston pins and adapter bushing were used in the rods. Common for more power to install higher elevation pistons step head or fire crater on tractors at lower elevations when they were available. Suprise me if dealer is selling a true fire crater now. Some years ago they were down to only stocking flat tops to replace them.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just checked A&I and they still have stepped head piston and sleeves but they no longer sell complete overhaul kits

 I called my dealer about the p/s Diesel Doc posted. No dealer in North America have them in stock and they must come from the supplier with low stock indicated. I don't know what to make of that. who knows what you would be getting and its probably coming from the Parts Depot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...