Concave Question

Red Flyer

I am planning on growing some barley this year. Looking at initial crop settings for barley it recommends 2 SW and 1 LW. I currently have 3 SW for wheat and was wondering if the 1 LW is really needed for certain types of barley and is 1 LW a good idea for wheat too? How common is it to mix concave's? 

The suggestion of a large wire concave in position 3 could be so as not to over thresh or skin the barley.  If you want to sell the barley for malting they would rather have some awns attached than have the kernels injured.  Nothing wrong with mixing types of concaves to do the job.  One of the beauties of the rotary design IMO.  Good luck.

I run a later 1680 with long sieve. It has standard rotor. The front concave is small wire with every other wire removed. The middle and rear are large wire with every other removed. Run cover plates on front and half of the middle concave. Install slotted grates on account of baling straw. It does a nice job with that setup. Always picked up swaths, never did any direct so that might be different ballgame. Also you know how farming goes, what works for one guy might not work for the next. Forgot to mention did spring wheat for few years with same setup also and that was good too.