Tractor recommendations

Jake19917561

So I’ve been wanting to get another tractor that’s in the 46-76 drawbar hp class for awhile. Must have drawbar, and would want diesel, don’t need front wheel assist or cab. I’m partial to the fords myself. Love my 1981 4600 diesel, was even thinking 5600, or 6600. What do y’all recommend? Not looking for green machines haha. 

25 minutes ago, Jake19917561 said:

So I’ve been wanting to get another tractor that’s in the 46-76 drawbar hp class for awhile. Must have drawbar, and would want diesel, don’t need front wheel assist or cab. I’m partial to the fords myself. Love my 1981 4600 diesel, was even thinking 5600, or 6600. What do y’all recommend? Not looking for green machines haha. 

We have a 6610 series II ford.  Great tractor, easy on fuel, relatively comfortable, good power.  

But since this is an IH forum, we also have an 884.  It’s better at some things and is more nimble, but also doesn’t have a cab. 684 is also in the same frame size.

if you are looking IH ROW crop in that size, then 666, 686, or 756.

• Like 1

76 drawbar HP would get you into an 886 than you would have a good cab.  All the other tractors mentioned would be good choices.  JD 2510, 2520, 2550, Oliver 1655 are good tractors as well.  Be the offbeat owner and find a Minneapolis Moline G450 with MFWD.  Easier said than done but the parts are common for Fiat built tractors.

I have spent some time with a Ford 7610, thought it was a nice tractor.  What's your budget? That will help us a lot in recommending something.

4 minutes ago, Jake19917561 said:

Well considering farmall H’s and ford n series tractors are going for $2500 or more here without while sitting in a field for 30 years. I’d say $5-$7 thousand 

That budget changes things.  IH 656, 706.

Ford 5000, maybe a 5600 or 5900.  I doubt you will find a xx10 series in that price range.

unless you are looking for a ‘project’, it’s tough to find something decent in that price range.

• Like 1

Look at purplewave.com, they are an active auction site mostly out of the Kansas and south area but that would give you an idea of what is out there and at what price.

I am not affiliated with them in any way, I use them for what something is worth because they list the actual selling price of the item sold.

Yes, I have purchased from them, no issue with their system.

24 minutes ago, Jake19917561 said:

Well considering farmall H’s and ford n series tractors are going for $2500 or more here without while sitting in a field for 30 years. I’d say $5-$7 thousand 

Given your area and price range a Ford 5000 will be the easiest to find and have some degree of quality.  You can choose between gas or diesel.  A little harder to find would be a 656 and a JD 2510 would limit you to a gas tractor given today's prices.

3 hours ago, ny bill o said:

keep in mind that a 656 diesel will have glow plugs, which is a definite deal breaker for me.

I didn't realize but I guess all of yours are gas?  I have a 656 diesel.  A high speed starter made a huge difference.

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

You got some hills there, can't see where you said what tasks it had to do?

Would be pulling an offset disc mostly. One of the other reasons I’m looking for a wheeled tractor is my grandmother and neighbors ask me to disc every year and I don’t like all the wear and tear on my undercarriage. Parts are scarce I do have NOS parts laying around but I’d like to find more of a worker and just play with my Caterpillars 😬

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

I didn't realize but I guess all of yours are gas?  I have a 656 diesel.  A high speed starter made a huge difference.

Yes my 656s are all gas. I had them mainly for loading silage and feeding cows. Lots of starting and stopping. Gas always started, and no waiting for glow plugs to work (or not all work).

My 560 diesel has the glow plugs and has been a constant maintenance headache. I put a starter from an 806 onto the 560 and agree, it made a world of difference.

16 hours ago, ny bill o said:

keep in mind that a 656 diesel will have glow plugs, which is a definite deal breaker for me.

Why?? There has been a 656D here since 1967, and until the internet came along I had no idea that they were hard to start! Even my old worn out 706 starts easily no matter how long it sits. And the 560 is the same…. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Why?? There has been a 656D here since 1967, and until the internet came along I had no idea that they were hard to start! Even my old worn out 706 starts easily no matter how long it sits. And the 560 is the same…. 

I have to agree.  As long as the pump, injectors, glow plugs, starter and batteries are in good shape these engines are good starters even if the engine itself is in marginal shape.  Mind you I wouldn’t buy a rebuildable tractor on your budget, I wouldn’t pass on a 560, 656 or 706 with the glow plug engine if it shows good care.  Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

until the internet came along I had no idea they're was easy starting ones, i can think of one easy starting 282 around here the rest got sold off or traded off for gas jobs