Large Animal Veterinarians

Wisconsin Ron

There are a couple of large animal vet practices here, mostly they just do horses.  We have one vet that does sheep and things of that nature.  Lots of small animal (cats & dogs) vet practices.  Our sheep vet we had to take animals there as she is the only one and there are lots of customers.  NE Ohio, when we were in NY we were close to Saratoga race course and there were lots of equine vets in the area.

• Like 1

I think we are sitting ok on vets around here. Being a vet is not easy work, wife is a mixed animal vet so I see behind the scenes, come out of school with same debt and maybe half the pay of an md, need to know multiple species, get kicked, scratched, bitten. Phone calls all hours of the day, small animal people are……….well they’re something, some of them wait until Sunday to call to have fluffy looked only to find out later fluffy has been acting funny for two weeks 🙄. She goes to the grocery store and people come ask her about their dog or cat. She would like to do mainly large animals but knows that she won’t be able to take care of them forever, she has a good reputation for the small animals.

• Like 1

My Father is a Vet and owns his own practice. He is 71, works 6 days a week, and has done that same routine for over 40 years. Large and small animals. Has facility to work large animals on site but still does a lot of “farm calls” as we called it growing up. He does large animals in the mornings and small animals in the afternoons along with 2 surgeries of some sort per day during the week. 8-5 Mon-Fri and 8-12 on Saturday. He does his own cattle chores morning and evening around his business. There are 3-4 other vets within 20 miles but one only does small animals.

I think part of the reason (my opinion) that there are not more vets is because people are horrible to deal with. There was rarely a Christmas growing up that he didn’t have to go do something. Almost every Sunday the phone rings during lunch with the entire family and someone wants to have fluffy looked at because it hasn’t acted right in two weeks. A legitimate emergency? No problem. I have gone with him for all sorts of things from C-sections on a cow to rubbing puppies into existence. Seems that when people start treating their pets better than their neighbors that things get silly. 

😂edit: for the record, I had not read all of @Little Red’s post above before writing my response. Fluffy on Sunday must be a common problem….

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ky966boy said:

We have a good large animal clinic but haven’t used them in years if I can’t save it it’s usually to far gone .

The number one reason not to call the vet is because they are going to die anyway.   I kind of feel the same way. We use her for preg checks mainly and probably one inquiry per year.  Some people just pull blood for preg check and don't even use vet for that.

I like to keep a good working relationship with my vet.

He knows me and my cows.

If a problem arises I am not sure about, he is who I turn to for a solution.

He knows what bug may be going through the calves each year and what works best to treat it.

Edit to add:

It ain't like the old days where a 500ml bottle of LA200 cost $75.

Now, a 250ml bottle of Zuprevo for instance is near $1200. 

100ml of Draxxin or 250ml of Micotil is $350 to $400

Totally changes the game, you don't just want to throw random drugs at a problem. 

• Like 3

We have a good supply of vets in the area. We tend to use two different ones. One clinic we use for our dogs and cattle. Mostly just need the vet for preg checking cows but sometimes emergencies I can't take care of arise. The other we use for mostly horse stuff such as coggins and health certificates. In emergencies we sometimes use whichever one can get here the soonest or sometimes it can be a little hard getting in touch after hours. We won't call anyway unless its absolutely necessary and we check cattle/horses often and tend to catch problems early. I think all of the large animal vets in the area do farm calls more so than at the clinic. I know that the two we use don't have any cattle facilities at the clinic. 

My neighbors have a large registered and commercial angus and sim/angus operation and they use a vet who is about 45 minutes away but takes care of large herds in several different parts of Missouri. From everything I've heard is he is an excellent vet and they swear by him. I know he puts a ton of miles on a truck every year.