CNH 30wt oil analysis

redpower123

10 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Would you recommend the new CNH oil made by Shell? Makers of Rotella? 

Well, it's better than no-name brand stuff, as long as it has the correct API rating and correct grade for the application. I would recommend Viscosity first.

5 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Well, it's better than no-name brand stuff, as long as it has the correct API rating and correct grade for the application. I would recommend Viscosity first.

Bring up the name Viscosity Oil and they won't know what you're talking about. Here anyway. This new oil that's labeled Tutela and Akcela just confuses them more. 

• Like 1

hero-image.fill.size_1200x900.v1611611940.jpg

• Haha 2

On 2/8/2023 at 10:49 AM, Matt Kirsch said:

If it says "TUTELA" on the barrel, it is old Viscosity stock from two years ago. Some dealers still have old stock because they don't go through the "old school" oils like they used to. Everybody uses 15W40 now.

Your parts man is probably right, but for the wrong reason. He thinks they're ordering this stuff in fresh, when it's been sitting in the warehouse for two years.

I was able to walk into the local dealer a year ago and get No1 SAE30 in 5 gallon buckets. I thought they were selling Viscosity, but turns out they had a pallet left over from before the changeover and were selling that out before putting out the new stuff.

Case IH 407360R5 | #1 30W 30G DRUM | Hoober

Is this the current Viscosity version? Says it is for diesel and gas engines.

Screenshot_20230209_122959_Chrome Beta.jpg

51 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Must be that "Northern Aggression!" 😀😄

Did you miss the part where I said that I was agreeing with you?

9 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Where the heck have you guys been? I have been saying that for years, and nobody would get behind me, just let the multi-grade rotella fetishists attack the mechanic, who apparently knows nothing about engines. 

I was to multiple Viscocity oil meetings and I am 100% with you Farmall Doctor. Older engines oil coolers WILL NOT keep 15-40 from breaking down to it's base weight if worked to the engines capacity. Our shop saw it numerous times what bearings looked like when 15-40 was used in a tillage tractor. Ugly. I've heard people say "oil technology changed" Well so did oil coolers to go along with that. Look at a Cummins 8.3 oil cooler vs DT436.

And there is even differences in 15-40. Rotella is a junk truck oil. Viscocity showed the pour point between Rotella and CaseIH 15-40. AG and truck oils are not spec'd the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Your local Cat dealer will do oil analysis, just stop and get an oil test kit , pull the sample and drop it off and a couple days later you will have the results . On your older IH motors that your working hard run straight 30 wt Number One diesel oil , medium to light duty you can get by with multi grade . Those model 100 pumps are lubed with engine oil and they don’t like multi grade oil . If you seen the little bearing in the plunger you guys would understand.

Danny

I am actually sold on that idea was surprised how much pressure increased when warm with 30wt, it is not the most easy oil to find also means extending oil changes.

4 hours ago, cedar farm said:

I was to multiple Viscocity oil meetings and I am 100% with you Farmall Doctor. Older engines oil coolers WILL NOT keep 15-40 from breaking down to it's base weight if worked to the engines capacity. Our shop saw it numerous times what bearings looked like when 15-40 was used in a tillage tractor. Ugly. I've heard people say "oil technology changed" Well so did oil coolers to go along with that. Look at a Cummins 8.3 oil cooler vs DT436.

And there is even differences in 15-40. Rotella is a junk truck oil. Viscocity showed the pour point between Rotella and CaseIH 15-40. AG and truck oils are not spec'd the same.

I'm asking, not arguing here.

Why did Navistar spec 15-40 in mid to late 80s dt466 trucks?

The engine uses the same oil cooler?

2 hours ago, acem said:

I'm asking, not arguing here.

Why did Navistar spec 15-40 in mid to late 80s dt466 trucks?

The engine uses the same oil cooler?

30/60/90 rule. The IH service bulletin shows approval of 15-40 only for trucks. A car uses it's available horsepower only 30% of the time. Jeff Koch from Viscosity oil put 5 quarts of 5 different brands of oil on the podium and asked who would put this mix in a car. No one put up their hand. He said he would. In a car as long as it's the correct spec(5-30, 10-30 ect) it doesn't matter in a car. Trucks use 60% and tractors 90%. And it's those last two figures 60/90 that make the difference what oil is to be used in an older engine. And that is also why AG and truck multi-weights are not the same. 

Now with that said. If you your tractor falls under the 60%(loader, sprayer) which a lot of the older tractor are now used for, 15-40 would be fine in my opinion. Chances are many fall under the 30% anymore.

I don't make this up. I was a CIH parts manager for 18 years and went to multiple oil and filter meetings put on by Viscosity and Fleetguard. You can disagree with me, but it's Viscosity oil you need to disagree with. I am just the messenger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Back in the 80s when I was young and full of piss and vinegar, I was into race cars. Mopars mostly. Hung around with some good racers (still know Jim Hale). Direct Connection (chrysler's racing division) recommend single grade racing oil not multi grade oil in race engines. Claimed the viscocity modifiers broke down quickly with the harsh use. 

I'll try to find the article. I've still got it somewhere...

Thx-Ace 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, acem said:

Back in the 80s when I was young and full of piss and vinegar, I was into race cars. Mopars mostly. Hung around with some good racers (still know Jim Hale). Direct Connection (chrysler's racing division) recommend single grade racing oil not multi grade oil in race engines. Claimed the viscocity modifiers broke down quickly with the harsh use. 

I'll try to find the article. I've still got it somewhere...

Thx-Ace 

I wish my younger son would finish his Mopar project. He has his 440 short block put together. Needs to put the edlebrock heads on it. It's going in a 1990 D150 2WD short box. He still has a way to go. Rebuild the 727 that came with the 440 and a lot of little stuff to figure out. The machinist said it should be in the 500 hp range with the piston/cam/head combo. Great plenty for a 20 year old kid. And boy does he have a lot of money stuck into it! A RB Mopar is not a SB chevy for parts prices.

• Like 1

Want to throw another firecracker into the mix. The secret hytran formulation is now showing up in yellow bucket stores. Marketed specifically for case ih hytran ultra uses. The company that actually makes hytran for viscosity is repacking it in their own store brands now or it appears to be.  Just bought 2 buckets and dumped them into 1586 the other day because it was all that was available that day. Google viscosity oil, their suppliers are the packagers of most yellow bucket grades of oil.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eason said:

The 30 wt CaseIH is marketing now is actually a Pennzoil product, NOT SHELL.

That's the quart jugs that they are promoting to replace Low Ash.

• Like 1

This is not a thing to get all cranked up over fellas , if you want you old original IH oil then buy Vescosity Oil . Vescosity offers the Low Ash oil , just the same old stuff you used to buy at your IH dealership . Case IH has gone to Shell Oil company for there oil , they won’t give any details other than it meets there specs for Case IH equipment .

Danny 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, redpower123 said:

Ok there used to be a low ash and then there was regular 30wt no1 when they used to call it no1  I always got the no1 30wt for the 1466

I spoke with a Viscosity rep Friday. Danny is correct! The only difference is it is now for diesel and gasoline engines. Quoting rep here: "....can be used in all legacy equipment that requires low ash, 30w oil". As always, the base oil and the additive package is what counts, I've included a pic from their website. As for me, I'm going with it for my older diesel and gas engine tractors. To each their own 😉Screenshot_20230212_055300_ChromeBeta.thumb.jpg.b9c9bf8f21765dfd0d5f2fe961857581.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

So is Unitek MG replacing "Low Ash" (brown lid) and "No 1 30W" (yellow lid) diesel oil? 

Yes, they are now one product and Viscosity has been working towards that end. The Rep said they were surprised to hear from customers wanting low ash oil for gas ag applications. They always considered that oil a "slow mover". 

Just to add to the confusion, how do you guys think Rotella T6 Synthetic 15-40 would compare to Viscosity 30 WT. Rotella T6 claims to be better for running temp extremes, and claims to be low in ash content. For older motors I’m guessing.