What did you do with your Red tractor today?

DT Fan

23 minutes ago, F-301066460puller said:

Is that a later style Glencoe soilsaver? Dad had an older one then in the late '80's he bought a new one but only had it a couple years because he was forced to go notill in '90-91? He pulled his with a 2670 Case. 

Yes, They call it Series 3 Soil saver. Goes into standing stalks no issue as long as the stalks are dry. Go at an angle across the corn rows. 

• Like 1

I’ve got a Brillion version of a Glenco soil saver. Straight blades on front. 9 shank with 4” twist shovels. Pull with a 1456 8-9” deep. A heavy load in clay but moves right along on lighter ground. Stalks need to be dry or it will plug. Wouldn’t want any larger 

• Like 1

Well gentlemen as much as I hated to part with it. I sold the 806. A high dollar bill came up just under the 2 year of Mom's death. Kept the 756 so I would have some lifting power with loader. Put new inner tie rods on today.

IMG_20231115_124738818_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230630_183600037.jpg

• Sad 5

Time to clean up, finished harvest two weeks ago. Had a niece get married the one weekend and the cattle came the following. So that delayed cleaning, best take advantage of a nice day. They will be few and far between going into winter!

IMG_20231119_104225870_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231119_104253305_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, billonthefarm said:

Done with tillage.  Rain tomorrow so just in time.  Wish I had more to plow and more weather to do it.

4C460E2A-D333-447D-93F8-FFD71184574B.jpeg

B314478E-FBD0-457D-915C-13D072A36D1C.jpeg

Wish I had more to plow too!! I don't know exactly what it is about moldboard plowing but I really love doing it!

• Like 3

Between yesterday and today, I got most of the plowing finished. The H and 2 bottom did a pretty good job in the old hayfield but the corn stalks kicked our backsides. I had chopped them, disked them twice, and they still clogged the plow up. Finally wound up hooking to the rake and making windrows, then burning them off. Have about a third of my ground yet to plow, but that'll have to wait til after the rain that's coming in. Here's a couple pictures, got a good shine on the moldboards!

20231118_084032.thumb.jpg.e5749ea344f156021383da3d5c5a8d66.jpg

20231119_150841.thumb.jpg.58e48ad034cdcf28e84fa668c57233b7.jpg

Mac

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, MacAR said:

Between yesterday and today, I got most of the plowing finished. The H and 2 bottom did a pretty good job in the old hayfield but the corn stalks kicked our backsides. I had chopped them, disked them twice, and they still clogged the plow up. Finally wound up hooking to the rake and making windrows, then burning them off. Have about a third of my ground yet to plow, but that'll have to wait til after the rain that's coming in. Here's a couple pictures, got a good shine on the moldboards!

20231118_084032.thumb.jpg.e5749ea344f156021383da3d5c5a8d66.jpg

20231119_150841.thumb.jpg.58e48ad034cdcf28e84fa668c57233b7.jpg

Mac

Dude, you need some wear parts!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Dude, you need some wear parts!

I've looked for 5 years for moldboards and points for this old #52 John Deere. Can't find them anywhere. One guy had a set of NOS boards, but I thought $500 each was much too high. It's been a good old plow though, and believe it or not, I've put 8 years on that missing chunk! What I really need to do is find another trailer plow and retire this one. But trailer plows aren't very easy to find in my part of Arkansas. 

Mac

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MacAR said:

I've looked for 5 years for moldboards and points for this old #52 John Deere. Can't find them anywhere. One guy had a set of NOS boards, but I thought $500 each was much too high. It's been a good old plow though, and believe it or not, I've put 8 years on that missing chunk! What I really need to do is find another trailer plow and retire this one. But trailer plows aren't very easy to find in my part of Arkansas. 

Mac

I don’t know if it’s possible on that plow or not, but on a lot of older plows newer bottoms will bolt right on. It may be possible to put HS or NU Deere bottoms on there. F145 plows sell for scrap price here. They would have HS or NU on them. This guy used to be well known for old Deere plow parts. I guess he’s still doing it. Plow Parts

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I don’t know if it’s possible on that plow or not, but on a lot of older plows newer bottoms will bolt right on. It may be possible to put HS or NU Deere bottoms on there. F145 plows sell for scrap price here. They would have HS or NU on them. This guy used to be well known for old Deere plow parts. I guess he’s still doing it. Plow Parts

Thanks for the link. It lead me to evil-bay, and believe it or not, I think I found a replacement moldboard! Gotta take a few measurements tomorrow but it sure looks like my critter. 

Mac

• Like 4

22 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Wish I had more to plow too!! I don't know exactly what it is about moldboard plowing but I really love doing it!

I like doing it too and the irregular shape fields around here make it an art form. The only problem is after awhile especially as I have gotten older is the time and fuel spent on it and how it could be more efficient. Picked up chisel plow in March and wow it's amazing the savings and how quick you can get ground covered. Only downside is more rocks to pick it seems 

• Like 2

Moving dirt with the 244, spreading with the 656.

20231120_161501.thumb.jpg.3037cf7b8a6556882fb06b9c1c57eb27.jpg

• Like 7

Finished corn Sat. nite. Parked the trailer next to wife's cousins field to help him finish. Put the 6788 on the K-line speed tiller Sunday after noon to run some stalks. Never used the 67 on the tiller before. Was able to run 1'st hi 7 mph . No air ride seat or sprung axle , but it got across the field.

• Like 2

Went out and measured the wheels on 756 for setting it up for my 4-14  semi-mounted plow    [might be 4-16] from center of tractor to inside of tire only measured 23" if I'm thinking right it needs to be about 30" . So i got that job to look forward to.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2023 at 9:04 PM, MacAR said:

Thanks for the link. It lead me to evil-bay, and believe it or not, I think I found a replacement moldboard! Gotta take a few measurements tomorrow but it sure looks like my critter. 

Mac

Not to cause alarm, but fleabay was not what came up from that link.

image.thumb.jpeg.c5b3128189d11bdd6186f5711255e9c0.jpeg

May want to take care of your cookies.

Mike

image.jpeg.e2b9b1b21c1b83e18f5cc62908c514b5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Not to cause alarm, but fleabay was not what came up from that link.

image.thumb.jpeg.c5b3128189d11bdd6186f5711255e9c0.jpeg

May want to take care of your cookies.

Mike

image.jpeg.e2b9b1b21c1b83e18f5cc62908c514b5.jpeg

Oh yes, I got to Buchheit's site, and that led me to eBay. But thanks for looking out for me!

Mac

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stronger800 said:

If a moldboard is about done anyway, couldn’t a guy weld a common shin piece out on the face of it?

Have considered welding a piece of leaf spring, etc. to the edge as a "shin". I'm trying to decide if my little 110v Harbor Freight welder will do the job or if I should have someone else do it. 

Mac

5 minutes ago, MacAR said:

Oh yes, I got to Buchheit's site, and that led me to eBay. But thanks for looking out for me!

Mac

No prob! There's a guy over on Yesterday's that goes by the handle of Plowman, if you haven't contacted him already.

Mike

• Like 2