What did you do with your Red tractor today?

DT Fan

On 7/2/2023 at 10:31 AM, hardtail said:

What are you pulling behind to build the dam? I see a tarp on each one what is that for? Where is the water coming from the river and do you have to pump it?

I pull a levee disk to form the levees. They come in several forms. Below's a pic of one of mine when I bought it.

The tarp is part of a flow control structure. You use it to control the water level. They are also called spills (the water spills over).

I pump water from abandoned underground coal mines. This is very unusual. I'm probably the only farmer who grows rice with mine water. Most rice is irrigated with surface well water. 

Thx-Ace 

image.png

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, acem said:

I pull a levee disk to form the levees. They come in several forms. Below's a pic of one of mine when I bought it.

The tarp is part of a flow control structure. You use it to control the water level. They are also called spills (the water spills over).

I pump water from abandoned underground coal mines. This is very unusual. I'm probably the only farmer who grows rice with mine water. Most rice is irrigated with surface well water. 

Thx-Ace 

image.png

How much water do you have access to from the mine(s)? Have you ever run out?

I've never run out but it's gotten low.

At my main pump it's 55 feet to the bottom of the shaft. My pump is set 3 ft off the bottom to avoid sucking up shale. This is a 12 inch turbine pump set in an 18 inch casing. It is capable of pumping 2500 gpm but that would really stress my 12 inch underground pipeline.

I have another backup pump station (at another location) that is over 100 feet to the bottom. However the hole is only 8 inch so I can't pump as much. The pump is about 3/8 mile away but the layer of coal is tilted significantly compared to the surface. This pump is actually not functional at the moment.

Before I start pumping it is slightly artisan because I'm at the bottom of a deep valley. It drops as I pump. When I quit pumping it slowly rises. It typically drops to around 15 to 20 feet by the end of the summer. When the leaves fall and we start getting wet the water rises rapidly.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 3

Finished up the tire changing on the H and took the 856 back to the power washer. Snuck in a couple Alley Cats too. The 14.9's look good on the H, I'm concerned how much weight they are going to add. The 15.5's were mounted tubeless, somehow, either I assume. Had to put tubes in these and their night light.

IMG_2040.jpeg

IMG_2039.jpeg

IMG_2038.jpeg

• Like 3

Took the H to a local pull today, that felt good after wrestling with the tires Sunday and Monday! Down side, couldn't get into 3500 Lb. class about 40 lbs. to heavy. Weighted her up for 4000, got second out of about 9 tractors. Feel pretty good about that! The winner was only about 1 foot ahead of me. Same result in 4500, again, I feel really good. I think there were 9 tractors in both classes and some strong ones at that. They didn't have a 5000 lbs. class, had to borrow some weights to get heavy enough for 5500. Finished kind of middle of the pack. Don't feel bad about that even though I did power out. This tractor is really a 3500, 4000, 4500 lb. machine. The 'New' tires seem to work fairly well and I'm learning where to place the weights.

Talked to a lot of my old tractor buddies and made a new friend or two. All in all, a great day.

Edit; I should add, and this is kind of weird. Only two (IH) Red tractors at this pull! Four other reds, two Harris two Ferguson. Several of the ugly green a smattering of the good green. Some Minnies. about four Fords and three Alley Cats. One White showed up late but I left before he pulled.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

EFDEAEB8-1261-4AB4-9B28-839ACFF62E38.thumb.jpeg.5dd88aa2696a0fc67238f21ea0919d52.jpeg
turbo tedding. Tried pulling this tedder with 70hp three or four years ago. Didn’t like it.  It’s the only thing the 856 has done since 

Tedding isn’t a thing here. Is it just because temps are low and it won’t dry down? Most of the time you could mow with a sickle bar mower and bale the next day here. Sometimes in lighter hay with a good conditioner if you got started early and it’s over 100F you could bale the same day. 

4 hours ago, stronger800 said:

what I’m baling today was cut Tuesday at 9am and was tedded 3x Tuesday twice yesterday and once today. 9-11% moisture right now 

I had no idea that many passes were required. I thought it was just done once if at all. We have a small tedder that we only use if it gets rained on after it’s raked up. It hasn’t been hooked on in a few years, thankfully. 

On 7/4/2023 at 10:22 AM, DT Fan said:

Finished up the tire changing on the H and took the 856 back to the power washer. Snuck in a couple Alley Cats too. The 14.9's look good on the H, I'm concerned how much weight they are going to add. The 15.5's were mounted tubeless, somehow, either I assume. Had to put tubes in these and their night light.

IMG_2040.jpeg

IMG_2039.jpeg

IMG_2038.jpeg

Why did you take off the 15.5's? Rules? To mount tubeless use a 4" ratchet strap down the center and a cheetah? Whatever they are called. Ether works too but strap is safer

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, F-301066460puller said:

Why did you take off the 15.5's? Rules? To mount tubeless use a 4" ratchet strap down the center and a cheetah? Whatever they are called. Ether works too but strap is safer

Yes, it’s a rules thing and the right one had a pretty bad leak. Can pull in “Farm Stock “ now. I may try to remove the tubes after the tires get used to these rims. Have done the ratchet strap thing before, not sure it would have worked for this. 

8 hours ago, stronger800 said:

what I’m baling today was cut Tuesday at 9am and was tedded 3x Tuesday twice yesterday and once today. 9-11% moisture right now 

I'm about the same as DFP. I had never even heard of tedding until I saw the word on this forum. I had to do a search to find out what it is! I guess nobody does it in my area of ND.