Texas winter driving

Lazy WP

Took an hour to get 15 miles out of Oklahoma, and I haven’t made it 4 miles into Texas in 2 hours. Might be a long 450 more miles tonight. Grrrrrr and it’s not the cars that are causing the problems. 

• Sad 4

15 minutes ago, Captian Kirk said:

This is why I have studded winter tires on my car and suv.

They aren’t legal everywhere here in the US.  Minnesota they are illegal, but the are legal in North Dakota.  I can’t remember if the were made illegal in MN due to studs coming out and hitting other cars (city folk problem), or if they thought they caused too much damage to the road surface.  
I got a set when we were in Alaska.  They work well, but I can’t run them down here unless I dig all the studs out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

They aren’t legal everywhere here in the US.  Minnesota they are illegal, but the are legal in North Dakota.  I can’t remember if the were made illegal in MN due to studs coming out and hitting other cars (city folk problem), or if they thought they caused too much damage to the road surface.  
I got a set when we were in Alaska.  They work well, but I can’t run them down here unless I dig all the studs out.

Years ago my dads buddy sold lots of tires. He had a studding gun and would stud a set of tires if you wanted them. One of the teenagers he had working for him studded his sneakers. That didn’t sit very well with the small school. Kid was destudding his shoes quickly.

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, dale560 said:

Years ago my dads buddy sold lots of tires. He had a studding gun and would stud a set of tires if you wanted them. One of the teenagers he had working for him studded his sneakers. That didn’t sit very well with the small school. Kid was destudding his shoes quickly.

could he have used football cleats instead?

6 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

could he have used football cleats instead?

He just studded his shoes to be different. Was wearing then in class through the day. The clicking and clacking on tile plus the marks left behind had the principal pretty upset. This was small farm town of 150 people. The school was at the other end of Main Street . The service station at opposite end. Kid was pulling the studs back out after couple days. Have any of you guys seen those old studding guns. These used to lay on a bench above his tire changer with a big box of studs. They had special snout to expand hole in tire to retain stud then release it. I don’t know if it made the hole for stud or if you needed special tires or drilled holes in tire tread.

20 minutes ago, dale560 said:

He just studded his shoes to be different. Was wearing then in class through the day. The clicking and clacking on tile plus the marks left behind had the principal pretty upset. This was small farm town of 150 people. The school was at the other end of Main Street . The service station at opposite end. Kid was pulling the studs back out after couple days. Have any of you guys seen those old studding guns. These used to lay on a bench above his tire changer with a big box of studs. They had special snout to expand hole in tire to retain stud then release it. I don’t know if it made the hole for stud or if you needed special tires or drilled holes in tire tread.

Holes are pre molded in the tire. I've studded a LOT of tires in the 7 years working in a tire store and 5 years in a local CO-OP where we did a lot of tire work. At one time some places would also drill tires for studs, but we never did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dale560 said:

They had special snout to expand hole in tire to retain stud then release it. I don’t know if it made the hole for stud or if you needed special tires or drilled holes in tire tread.

A friend of mine did his tractor rears. 

Had to drill those holes first. 

He wasn't sure it was worth the effort. 

Anyway he only did the one set. 

Around here its the semi drivers (who dont speak much english) with steer tires on drive for tire life. That spin out on hills... i sanded for one that spun out on near flat ground...like stop start no spinning.

I am doing my share for keeping the roadways open for those who need to use them. Haven't started up anything other than the genset in the last 2 days. Patiently waiting a few days for the weather to improve.

Our Hankook off road tires have precast stud holes, but in this area, it's mostly a mud problem, so I haven't ever driven a tire that had studs.  EXCEPT in Waukegan Ill way back in 63-64.

Good luck, to everyone who have to be out.

From Dallas to Corpus is going to be a miserable mess for the next few days.  Park your rig and take a break at Loves. My trucker Brother spent at least a week in Anna Tx Loves, once waiting for the winter roads to clear.

Dont think you would be any happier up here Nick.

This was the Y south of Valentine Saturday night.

Good Samaritan driver tried to help pull him out with no luck

IMG_20230128_173902154.thumb.jpg.7879f4a5e33607b7642a176448404df3.jpg

Took a tow truck

IMG_20230128_183804272.thumb.jpg.f5c3a905c1aaac7602e022f8c37a5a1a.jpg

And I am sure you recognize this road, highway cam today.

IMG_20230131_130124601.thumb.jpg.f93e701447d6a0af1f463b8865c6df68.jpg

And intersection

IMG_20230131_130111013.thumb.jpg.d3fa30cc9d5071bcadc7b09d9feaa03b.jpg

Probably could make that corner in your sleep 😴😉

I held off going after fuel one more day.

Temps in the 30's coming so we will get a welcome break.

🌞

our gun club president almost got into a head on about a mile from our farm 

white out conditions  on the road, fortunately both truck only lost their mirrors 

took both of them right off the side of the trucks

Mike

• Sad 1

My buddies uncle used to haul into the US, got down into Texas and there had been a recent snowstorm overnight and he was rolling down an interstate and sees a trooper going the other way, about 5 miles further he gets pulled over by a trooper, he comes up and asks what the he !! he's trying to prove, Mike says nothing why, about this time the trooper notices the truck is from Canada and says I guess you guys are used to driving in these conditions, only 6 months every year, he says ok can you knock it back abit you might be fine driving in this stuff but somebody's gonna loop out in front of you and have a wreck

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, hardtail said:

My buddies uncle used to haul into the US, got down into Texas and there had been a recent snowstorm overnight and he was rolling down an interstate and sees a trooper going the other way, about 5 miles further he gets pulled over by a trooper, he comes up and asks what the he !! he's trying to prove, Mike says nothing why, about this time the trooper notices the truck is from Canada and says I guess you guys are used to driving in these conditions, only 6 months every year, he says ok can you knock it back abit you might be fine driving in this stuff but somebody's gonna loop out in front of you and have a wreck

The only thing I will add is that there are some road exchanges down in Texas that scare me when they are dry in the summer.  150 feet or more up while going up or down a grade and around a corner.  No thank you.

• Like 1

Made it back north of the snow and ice tonight. It was slick from Waco to nearly Oklahoma City. Wasn’t nearly as nasty tonight as last night, but WOWSERS if you get off the beaten path!!

• Like 2

County was still out working when I come home tonight.

Trying to widen bad spots that will drift shut again if the wind picks up like it is supposed to ahead of a warm front.

At least they are trying.

Highway 20 was starting to finger drift again tonight.

County and state budgets are going to be strained.

But.....we should have grass this coming summer.

Some consolation at least.

50 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Made it back north of the snow and ice tonight. It was slick from Waco to nearly Oklahoma City. Wasn’t nearly as nasty tonight as last night, but WOWSERS if you get off the beaten path!!

A word with different meanings depending on location there!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wowser

I probably picked the word up when I was working around a couple Assies and a New Zealander back in the 80s. They had some interesting words 

• Like 1