Jump to content

Who else like to moldboard plow?


billonthefarm

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 766 Man said:

  I can say that I plowed with a 2 plus 2.  In fact a new 3388 an area dealer was sending around for a demo.  Plowed about 12 acres using an Oliver 5 bottom semi-mounted plow.  Should have had a larger plow but the dealer would not demo a new plow.  The nearest IH dealer priced dad a new 3788 with two rear duals at 60,000 dollars.  A new JD 8440 fully equipped including 20.8 X 38 tires with duals all the way around was 55,000 dollars and the discount JD dealer would have done it for 52,500 dollars.  While this was going a salesman at another JD dealer was downsizing his farm so we bought his 2 year old 8430 with 1200 hours for 43,000 dollars.  Still here today.  

  We demoed a new 3788.  Dad and grandpa fell in love with it in a couple days.  They went to see about buying one and figure out they could buy a pair of new 1486’s for the same kind of money.  They didn’t buy it but I bought a 3588 several years ago and played with it a few years.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

Love to drive at night in the fall with the windows down to smell the freshly turned soil!! 

That, and nite plowing you can look up at the muffler, and see the fire coming a foot or so out the stack when you go over those clay knolls.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

  We demoed a new 3788.  Dad and grandpa fell in love with it in a couple days.  They went to see about buying one and figure out they could buy a pair of new 1486’s for the same kind of money.  They didn’t buy it but I bought a 3588 several years ago and played with it a few years.

In ‘77 dad was going to trade a 1466 for 2 1486’s, but the dealer was having a field day, told dad to come over and run a couple of 4-wheelers. He told dad then, not to bother with the 4586, he told him to try Steiger. He made a few rounds with it, and he ended up buying it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoy plowing with my old 806 with 4 - 16 bottom plow. Just wish there was more plow days or a farmer that wanted a good size field plowed.  Just put her in L3 and listen to that straight pipe and watch the smoke roll when she gets on a hard pull. Would like to pur a 3 bottom behind the 756 and see what it does.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like plowing, just don't get to do it enough. And just like Wes, not enough personal land to plow & there isn't anyone near here that still plows. Kind of a bummer.

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

In ‘77 dad was going to trade a 1466 for 2 1486’s, but the dealer was having a field day, told dad to come over and run a couple of 4-wheelers. He told dad then, not to bother with the 4586, he told him to try Steiger. He made a few rounds with it, and he ended up buying it.

Who was the Steiger dealer back then? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Dad and Grandpa quit moldboard plowing in the early 80's when I was young so I never got to plow on any scale.  My moldboard plowing has mainly been just for fun.  I've done a little custom work for a neighbor and plow some gardens every fall.  The garden plowing is just a neighborly deed, more of a hassle than fun.  I can only think of 1 person who moldboard plows around here anymore. 

005.JPG

001.JPG

250.JPG

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 The 720 IH plow was the best plow out there when it was introduced in the 70's. I pulled a 720 5-18 with a 1066 running 150 + hp then got a 6-18 for my 3588. There were a lot of 720 IH plows pushing green tractors around the fields back then,

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, supermpuller said:

 The 720 IH plow was the best plow out there when it was introduced in the 70's. I pulled a 720 5-18 with a 1066 running 150 + hp then got a 6-18 for my 3588. There were a lot of 720 IH plows pushing green tractors around the fields back then,

Didnt matter what color tractor you owned around here.  Red plows were the plow of choice!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IH Forever said:

My Dad and Grandpa quit moldboard plowing in the early 80's when I was young so I never got to plow on any scale.  My moldboard plowing has mainly been just for fun.  I've done a little custom work for a neighbor and plow some gardens every fall.  The garden plowing is just a neighborly deed, more of a hassle than fun.  I can only think of 1 person who moldboard plows around here anymore. 

005.JPG

001.JPG

250.JPG

I like your 656 and plow setup.  Wouldn't mind finding a plow like that for the 756 not sure that I'd get to use it much here but I'd like to have one. I've been looking but haven't found one yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2023 at 7:00 AM, 856 Custom said:

That's getting to be a lost art. There's lots of people on this forum that have and a lot that never have.

Very good point.  Can’t remember the last time the 3 bottom IH auto reset plows were in the ground.  Maybe when the neighbor had his hill on fire burning grass.  Since the Kinze 2000 and the chisel, I don’t think it has moved.  I think I’ve only plowed a handful of times.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I always thought a W series with a trailer plow would be a good combo for a plow day. I have a 4btm #70….

The plow is a # 70, was a 4 bottom but cut it down to a 3 bottom.  That way it don't labor the tractor.  Makes a nice outfit,,,, just needs a paint job.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2023 at 6:00 AM, 856 Custom said:

That's getting to be a lost art. There's lots of people on this forum that have and a lot that never have. I have 3 plows and haven't used a one of those since 2019. Lol! Bought a 800 9 bottom plow in 2013. You can at least see your accomplishing something compared to what I grew up with. A 1086 and a 5x18 720

Try a 460D with a 3-16 trip hitch plow that you lose when you hit a rock.

I lost that plow 34 times in one round of native sod due to rocks.

You worked really hard and got little done.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Wes806 said:

I enjoy plowing with my old 806 with 4 - 16 bottom plow. Just wish there was more plow days or a farmer that wanted a good size field plowed.  Just put her in L3 and listen to that straight pipe and watch the smoke roll when she gets on a hard pull. Would like to pur a 3 bottom behind the 756 and see what it does.

Ditto on that!

986F49B2-7ABF-4413-8819-5CFF595229DB.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Saw this today. I would want to put it in sand to start with. Looks like it might need a few wear pieces. 

222679DE-4445-4180-B618-1E364D2B2365.jpeg

E9F244EE-E510-4EF9-AA40-101DBDE8AD0D.jpeg

36C67D9D-54D9-4C67-8E69-047C4FF306A9.jpeg

  There is a rig similar to that less than 10 miles away from me.  The plow is auto reset instead of trip and 10 bottoms instead of 12.  Both tractor and plow bought new around 1982.  Was not that big a deal as there were quite a few Steiger's and Wilrich flex beam plows in the area.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Saw this today. I would want to put it in sand to start with. Looks like it might need a few wear pieces. 

222679DE-4445-4180-B618-1E364D2B2365.jpeg

On that note, JD made their last plow last year.  Honestly I didn’t they were still making them until machinery Pete or big tractor power or someone like that made deal about it.  Shitty plow or not, somebody was buying them all these years 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...