What ya working on?

billonthefarm

On 6/13/2024 at 4:27 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

Understood. And please don't think I'm knocking you personally.  Not my intent. I just prefer the cars from my youth (lot longer ago than 2004) to be as I remember them. 

Wow none of those options seem all that cheap to me. More than I would have guessed anyway. Espec for stock. 

I just always cringe when I see market place adds going on about the digital gauges they installed. I guess I'm weird. 🤷‍♂️

We have shared and liked many of the same/similar posts over the years here, safe to say we have similar taste.  I prefer a car to have original gauges too, I don't need a tach, speedometer and fuel gauge are good to have, I'm ok with idiot lights vs add on gauges like a line fed oil pressure or capillary tube temp gauge.  I strongly dislike line fed oil pressure gauges in a car, they give engine oil a chance to leak into your interior.  The biggest cringe with aftermarket gauges is usually the classic 3 hole temp/oil/volt mount crudely screwed to the bottom of the dash, in the way of your knees, ashtray, middle passenger's feet.  The previous owner of my Oldsmobile removed the original radio, put a temp and oil gauge in it's place, put an early 2000s Pioneer CD/radio where the ashtray was, put a volt gauge where the Delta 88 badge is to the right of the HVAC controls, not something I'd do.  The Delta 88 badge shouldn't be covered and the original radio with it's knobs, styling and lighting should be there even if it is just AM or doesn't work, also the ashtray has a light that is right above it in the dash panel, it is still there above the Pioneer deck, it is supposed to come on with the ashtray open, cool thing is that it's a green light like a Mopar, the rest of the interior lights are typical GM natural incandescent.  Putting those gauges and radio in took away some of the charm in my opinion, previous owner also installed bucket seats from an 80s S10 Blazer, he said he did that to be able to recline on the long drives from Cambridge Ontario to his hunt camp in Nova Scotia.  I'd rather it was all original, but besides the interior stuff it pretty much was.  It's not a Hemi 'Cuda but a bit of a unicorn with it's originally equipped SBC 350, for a 77 up GM fullsize fan like me I could look past the modifications, and it was solid and brown, if it was a blue 81 Delta 88 with a 307 I wouldn't have been as excited.  To speak of messing with wiring is one of the reasons I sought out my 77 Delta 88, a SBC is my preferred engine in those cars, and the Olds engine has the starter on the driver's side vs the passenger side on a SBC, that can be adapted easily enough but factory is better, my 80 Buick Electra originally had a Buick 350 with the starter on the passenger side and still had enough differences installing a SBC

If I sounded intense in my post about the cluster it was not in defense or rebuttal, more from excitement for something aftermarket that worked well.  Bill Burr has a line "I'm not yelling, I'm very passionate about my opinions and I want to tell them"  Your not weird for preferring the original stuff, some of my excitement for this cluster was because it bolted in place of the original and a good value.  The customer wants all the gauges and this cluster gets it done.  A digital read out would be dead wrong, needs to have needles

• Like 3

Got the manifold off the M back from the machine shop , it cleaned up nicely. Grandpa towed me on the M into the shop with the Super C. 

Installed new studs (4 out of the 6 as the other 2 were still in good shape). New gaskets, spacers/washers , and nuts. Reconnected the carb , air intake hose, threw the muffler back on.  Fired it up and took it for a cruise , at last the whining noise that I can now say with full confidence was definitely an intake leak is gone! Need to do some more carb tuning now to get it to idle smoother. 

IMG_4159.jpeg

IMG_4185.jpeg

IMG_4186.jpeg

IMG_4187.jpeg

• Like 8

Got back to the baler today, finally going back together with it. Will hopefully finish it in the morning and will get to use it next weekend, if weather permits. Only quit working on it today because I couldn’t close the shop door anymore without cutting off my airflow. The IH thermometer said that it was 93* in the shade.

IMG_6852.jpeg

IMG_6853.jpeg

IMG_6854.jpeg

IMG_6855.jpeg

• Like 10

My 1979 scout had a 345 that needed some love but I ended up finding a 50k mile 392 out of a pickup to drop in instead for what it would cost to help the 345 out. The 345 had points but the 392 came with the gold box and all the wiring so I switched everything back to electronic. Was a fun weekend swap with dad and gramps!

IMG_3057.jpeg

IMG_3059.jpeg

IMG_3081.jpeg

• Like 17

Built a grapple for my miniskid. Did not spend much time on the fit. And finish because there are two types of grapple those that have been cobbled back together and those that will be. Then proceeded to realize my hose was to short and broke it. Biult it to be removable If I don't need it.

20240615_164002.jpg

• Like 13

Put the Rebuilt Belhen power steering unit back in my 450 took it for a ride to check for leaks. Then bolted on the new sheet metal I have had for it now it has an Identity crisis it identifies as a 400 but is a 450 

IMG_2919.jpeg

IMG_2920.jpeg

• Like 10

currently working on 2 of my John Deere garden /lawn tractors. drive belts,tires and one has a crankshaft seal leaking

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

How many passes to tie that up?

Don't know how may passes but about 120lbs of rod.

• Like 8

got one of my John Deeres ready for this weeks grass

The wife and I use 2 of these to cut our grass, She fell in love with them and I like them a lot as well.We have a lot of trees and the tractor itself isn't very big with a 46" inch deck The Kawasaki engine is hard to beat

I have 6 good ones and 8 parts machines. I buy them cheap because John Deere does not offer every replacement part ,so I have a few on standby along with a 782 and 712 Allis

During the rough years in the 80s our local John Deere dealer lived on garden tractors. He was older than me but we were friends- he was at my wedding

DSCI2100.JPG

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, hillman said:

got one of my John Deeres ready for this weeks grass

The wife and I use 2 of these to cut our grass, She fell in love with them and I like them a lot as well.We have a lot of trees and the tractor itself isn't very big with a 46" inch deck The Kawasaki engine is hard to beat

I have 6 good ones and 8 parts machines. I buy them cheap because John Deere does not offer every replacement part ,so I have a few on standby along with a 782 and 712 Allis

During the rough years in the 80s our local John Deere dealer lived on garden tractors. He was older than me but we were friends- he was at my wedding

DSCI2100.JPG

I mowed a LOT of lawn with a 185.  That mower ran for over 20 years with very minimal repairs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

I mowed a LOT of lawn with a 185.  That mower ran for over 20 years with very minimal repairs.

I plan on cutting with 185s another 20 years. I have had 2 hydrostats go out in 25 years but they are old. Personally have had no engine failures 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hillman said:

I plan on cutting with 185s another 20 years. I have had 2 hydrostats go out in 25 years but they are old. Personally have had no engine failures 

I still have the 185 which mom used her hard earned paycheck to buy.  It needs some things done but mostly just paint and a couple of dry rotted tires replaced.  As dad was getting older I got a X500 which has the low effort steering which helps him stay busy.  

7 hours ago, Finney said:

Rebuilt disk tongue, that's the 3rd this spring. 28ft International 

disk tougne.JPG

Never have seen that before, around here. Maybe going around a LOT of corners??

• Like 1