Jump to content

What ya working on?


billonthefarm

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I might average 5.5 pulling the tank. Empty half the time and rarely gross over 80,000. Pulling the hopper, 4.75 on a good day. 90,000 and external ribs. 
Lisa put together a quote for a single turbo Acert that should be in the neighborhood of your big one power wise. Went with 15:1 piston, 625 cam and injector, then someone played with the ecm. Absolutely no warranty, but he has a hotrod!!

FWIW—my ‘big one’ is running a 6NZ ECM and 3406E injectors (no idea on the part number, it was set up that way when I bought it). Full Tilt manifold and the turbo is stamped “Cat 700”. 
 

IMG_3044.thumb.jpeg.20207fbae9712246789771b09942486b.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BTW, this is the primary filter I run on all my trucks.  Cat says not to use them on ACERTS (they are only available with 3/8” threads, not enough flow, but if you know a machinist, they can have 1/2” threads and it’s not a problem). 
 

IMG_1216.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

And to think some people out there say there's no money in trucking 😂

Mark 

Kiss my what???  I make my living with 17-26 year old trucks. By choice, because I can’t afford 3-17 weeks of downtime because the DEF sensors aren’t happy.  It’s currently 1:52 am here, I just got done changing fuel filters, and I have to be on the road at 4:30 am to load fat cattle in the morning.  Do you work those hours? Do you know any grain farmers that work those hours?  My dad is a 4x4 farmer (4 weeks in the spring and 4 weeks in the fall, and that’s a he!! of a stretch!) and he b!tches if he has to work past 8 pm during harvest. How many farmers do you know of (even on this forum!🤔) who have equipment that is newer and worth a he!! of a lot more than mine???  My newest vehicle is 20 years old.  So take your “And to think some people out there say there’s no money in trucking 😂” and shove it up your (yeah, there).  I started with nothing (at 40 years old) and nothing has been given to me since then.  Sorry if my rant offends you,  but put it in perspective.  This is what I’ve driven in in the past week.  Could I have said no?  Sure.  Do you take days off because you don’t like the weather?  I doubt it. 

 

IMG_1195.jpeg

IMG_1196.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

And to think some people out there say there's no money in trucking 😂

Mark 

Anytime you want to run with any of us independents, just let me know!! I would even just like your phone number so I can call you when I’m tired, and still have 500 miles to go. 
There is, or was a lot of money to be made in the trucking industry, but any more it’s so regulated that it is tough.

My next truck will be an old mechanical truck that there is no way to regulate my speed or check my hours. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Anytime you want to run with any of us independents, just let me know!! I would even just like your phone number so I can call you when I’m tired, and still have 500 miles to go. 
There is, or was a lot of money to be made in the trucking industry, but any more it’s so regulated that it is tough.

My next truck will be an old mechanical truck that there is no way to regulate my speed or check my hours. 

You ought to have my number feel free to call. I know what it's like to be tired with them miles to go.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Kiss my what???  I make my living with 17-26 year old trucks. By choice, because I can’t afford 3-17 weeks of downtime because the DEF sensors aren’t happy.  It’s currently 1:52 am here, I just got done changing fuel filters, and I have to be on the road at 4:30 am to load fat cattle in the morning.  Do you work those hours? Do you know any grain farmers that work those hours?  My dad is a 4x4 farmer (4 weeks in the spring and 4 weeks in the fall, and that’s a he!! of a stretch!) and he b!tches if he has to work past 8 pm during harvest. How many farmers do you know of (even on this forum!🤔) who have equipment that is newer and worth a he!! of a lot more than mine???  My newest vehicle is 20 years old.  So take your “And to think some people out there say there’s no money in trucking 😂” and shove it up your (yeah, there).  I started with nothing (at 40 years old) and nothing has been given to me since then.  Sorry if my rant offends you,  but put it in perspective.  This is what I’ve driven in in the past week.  Could I have said no?  Sure.  Do you take days off because you don’t like the weather?  I doubt it. 

 

IMG_1195.jpeg

IMG_1196.jpeg

I don’t mean to step on your rant because I get it. I run some trucks for our own use and know how hard it is. I am a grain farmer though. I know some farmers like you mention that don’t put in a lot of time. I have been combining for months and I’m not done yet. Some of my combines have 10,000 hours on them. Hats off to everybody on here who is killing themselves to get it done, no matter what industry you’re in. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Kiss my what???  I make my living with 17-26 year old trucks. By choice, because I can’t afford 3-17 weeks of downtime because the DEF sensors aren’t happy.  It’s currently 1:52 am here, I just got done changing fuel filters, and I have to be on the road at 4:30 am to load fat cattle in the morning.  Do you work those hours? Do you know any grain farmers that work those hours?  My dad is a 4x4 farmer (4 weeks in the spring and 4 weeks in the fall, and that’s a he!! of a stretch!) and he b!tches if he has to work past 8 pm during harvest. How many farmers do you know of (even on this forum!🤔) who have equipment that is newer and worth a he!! of a lot more than mine???  My newest vehicle is 20 years old.  So take your “And to think some people out there say there’s no money in trucking 😂” and shove it up your (yeah, there).  I started with nothing (at 40 years old) and nothing has been given to me since then.  Sorry if my rant offends you,  but put it in perspective.  This is what I’ve driven in in the past week.  Could I have said no?  Sure.  Do you take days off because you don’t like the weather?  I doubt it. 

 

IMG_1195.jpeg

IMG_1196.jpeg

For starters, if you woke up on the "wrong side of the truck bed". Sorry. If you want my number, ohhh I will give it to you in a half a second, and when I'm out plowing those roads you "heavy haulers " are using, I will wake your sorry arse up, or I might interrupt your donut break at the truck stop. Didn't intend to ruffle your feathers, yet you think you are hot shizzzz, hauling 80, wow, good for you, fats?  Are you talking about the cattle you hauling or the driver????  

I have spent a day of plowing to think how I would respond, and this is the nicest I could come up with. You two "independents " can stick together and suck each other's lollipops, pat each other in the back, as for the dot regulations, it was independents that hauled over hours, beat to heck trucks , broke down, and caused deaths along the way. Government steps in when it's needed to keep people safe. As for my comment, do you not have 3 trucks???? 

Then, you attack farmers and ranchers, the ones you take their money to haul for ?  Wow. Your momma should have taught you better to not bite the hand that feeds you. 

Call me if you want biscuit eater 

Mark 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Y'all. 

Chill.

We 'ppreciate ya both. We need ya both. Those plowin the roads AND those haulin the goods.

I read everything, it probably wasn't intended to come across offensive. Text leaves a lot to be desired when you can't hear someone's tone of voice and maybe see the grin on their face.

When in doubt, give the benefit of the doubt. 

 

 

We need a good oil thread, or somebody trying to give an old M to @oldtanker, or somethin...

And maybe one of @MTO's stories from high school...

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, td9inidaho said:

For starters, if you woke up on the "wrong side of the truck bed". Sorry. If you want my number, ohhh I will give it to you in a half a second, and when I'm out plowing those roads you "heavy haulers " are using, I will wake your sorry arse up, or I might interrupt your donut break at the truck stop. Didn't intend to ruffle your feathers, yet you think you are hot shizzzz, hauling 80, wow, good for you, fats?  Are you talking about the cattle you hauling or the driver????  

I have spent a day of plowing to think how I would respond, and this is the nicest I could come up with. You two "independents " can stick together and suck each other's lollipops, pat each other in the back, as for the dot regulations, it was independents that hauled over hours, beat to heck trucks , broke down, and caused deaths along the way. Government steps in when it's needed to keep people safe. As for my comment, do you not have 3 trucks???? 

Then, you attack farmers and ranchers, the ones you take their money to haul for ?  Wow. Your momma should have taught you better to not bite the hand that feeds you. 

Call me if you want biscuit eater 

Mark 

Mark,

For starters-I didn’t wake up on the wrong side of the bed, I hadn’t gone to bed yet.  Note that I said it was 1:52 am and I was still doing some maintenance. 
2. I have no reason to want your number

3. What gives you reason to say that I think I’m hot shizz?

4. Hauling 80?  I don’t think you got that from my post, not sure what you mean. 
5. If you’ve read very many of my posts, you might know I haul cattle. So yes, ‘fats’ referred to fat cattle. I don’t care what a person weighs as long as they can do their job, maybe you despise people with unhealthy body weight, I certainly don’t. 
6. Perhaps your day plowing snow was frustrating, that sucks, don’t need to take it out on me

7. Yes I have 3 trucks.  But your initial comment came across as “You must be made of money if you own 3 trucks”. Maybe I took it wrong. I meant to point out that owning 3 trucks doesn’t mean I’m wealthy. 
8. I don’t think I was attacking farmers, I certainly didn’t mean to.  I was pointing out that my trucks are by no means new and many farmers have newer and costlier equipment than I do. 
9. You know absolutely nothing about my mother. 
10.  If you feel better about yourself by calling me names, be aware that I have thick skin. I don’t think I called you any derogatory names.  
 

Get some sleep, I hope you have a better day tomorrow.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last thing I want to talk about or read about is trucks at the end of the day so changing the subject. 

 

 

Built a rolling work table that will work as an outfeed table for the table saw.

20240117_194910.jpg

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2024 at 5:42 PM, Finney said:

6 o'clock this morning they called . 10 degrees, 7 hours later its done. 

mixer wagon.JPG

What did you have to do on the mixer? They are a high wear item, needed two minutes ago 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm trying to get more done, maybe possibly to finish up in another good day but bad weather tomorrow again. 65 acres to go yet ? 

IMG_20240118_160358506.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bitty said:

What did you have to do on the mixer? They are a high wear item, needed two minutes ago 

Repaired chain, replaced 4 paddles and replaced the steel the chain runs on.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, bitty said:

What did you have to do on the mixer? They are a high wear item, needed two minutes ago 

A truer statement could not be made.  I had one of the guys hard facing the edges of the augurs on the Supreme 1700T today.  Tommorrow we have got to weld the seams in augur flighting again.  The weld has worn off and even though they are still 3/8 ish thick a couple of them came apart.  That mixer only has a front door.  The Lincoln LN-25 wire feeder and miller bobcat 250 work good for that job.  My other guy was working on a knight box spreader that is on its last legs.  My other guy is swapping a pickup transmission and I sent him out to do a couple odd jobs for a few hours.  I diagnosed a bad ECM that won’t run the VGT turbo correctly on a John Deere 13.5,   put a new block heater in a loader, and finished up on cat skidsteer that I think has a bad lap bar sensor.  I also spent about 1 hour ordering parts to keep us moving forward.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the things I cannot understand is they know the weld/material has worn off but keep running it. It goes form a 3-500 dollar repair to a 5,000 dollar repair.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been working on replacing an engine in a 2004 Honda Odyssey minivan.  The new used engine that the customer supplied came stripped down more than I have ever seen, usually they come fairly complete with all the sensors, coils and wiring intact, this one was pretty much a long block.  It was even missing the crank pulley, bolt and key.  Was supposed to be just pulled from a running van.  

I got the old engine out and bolted the new engine to the transmission and cradle, before I changed the timing belt I put the crank pulley on to check the timing and verify that the engine turned over several crankshaft revolutions and get an indication that it had compression.  It’s an interference engine so I figured that would be prudent before installing the new timing set.  I had no doubts but I was wrong.  The engine wouldn’t make a full crankshaft revolution without binding up.  Went to remove the spark plugs and found that one was missing.  Looked down in the cylinders with a camera to verify that the valves weren’t contacting the piston and the cylinder with the missing spark plug is corroded bad.  I don’t have much trust in the story that the engine was just pulled.  I should have looked it over better beforehand and had more doubts about it given it’s stripped and unprotected state vs how used engines usually are packaged.

IMG_2203.thumb.jpeg.afd4d1bf7654d56d262843722365aefb.jpegIMG_2202.thumb.jpeg.f7ea638046fb84970daf25b77b583ac0.jpeg

I filled the corroded cylinder with a mixture of ATF and other lubricants, hopefully I can clean it up, it is sure less than ideal.  If I had noticed the missing spark plug and checked it with the camera before removing the old engine I would be potentially further ahead.  I would have changed the timing belt before removing the old engine if the new engine had the crank pulley and key.  

Another lesson learned and experience gained.


 

 

 

 

  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, IHKeith said:

I’ve been working on replacing an engine in a 2004 Honda Odyssey minivan.  The new used engine that the customer supplied came stripped down more than I have ever seen, usually they come fairly complete with all the sensors, coils and wiring intact, this one was pretty much a long block.  It was even missing the crank pulley, bolt and key.  Was supposed to be just pulled from a running van.  

I got the old engine out and bolted the new engine to the transmission and cradle, before I changed the timing belt I put the crank pulley on to check the timing and verify that the engine turned over several crankshaft revolutions and get an indication that it had compression.  It’s an interference engine so I figured that would be prudent before installing the new timing set.  I had no doubts but I was wrong.  The engine wouldn’t make a full crankshaft revolution without binding up.  Went to remove the spark plugs and found that one was missing.  Looked down in the cylinders with a camera to verify that the valves weren’t contacting the piston and the cylinder with the missing spark plug is corroded bad.  I don’t have much trust in the story that the engine was just pulled.  I should have looked it over better beforehand and had more doubts about it given it’s stripped and unprotected state vs how used engines usually are packaged.

IMG_2203.thumb.jpeg.afd4d1bf7654d56d262843722365aefb.jpegIMG_2202.thumb.jpeg.f7ea638046fb84970daf25b77b583ac0.jpeg

I filled the corroded cylinder with a mixture of ATF and other lubricants, hopefully I can clean it up, it is sure less than ideal.  If I had noticed the missing spark plug and checked it with the camera before removing the old engine I would be potentially further ahead.  I would have changed the timing belt before removing the old engine if the new engine had the crank pulley and key.  

Another lesson learned and experience gained.


 

 

 

 

Sounds like a core credit engine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This mornings call. Took a Komatsu loader and another tractor to get it off. One hole in the top of the cab, no broken glass.

OOPS.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gearclash said:

That took real talent. What it that, a loader mounted bale processor?

It cuts round bale in half and drops into mixer wagon.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Put a new air compressor on the ‘06 Pete today, the other one gave out about the time I got home the other night. 

image.jpg

I had to put a Haldex reman on an N14 just a few days ago. It was a disappointment because it was only about 2 years old. I’ve never put one on a Cat, but changing one on an N14 is a real pain. The bottom bolt on the back is just about impossible. I also put a reduction starter on it since the old direct drive was pathetically weak in this cold. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...