What ya working on?

billonthefarm

29 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I took this Timken bearing out of a combine today. I put it in maybe three years ago. It was made in Turkey and is apparently junk like everything else you can buy now. I took the original bearing out of this machine that lasted 15 years. Now they last two or three. They are nothing more than an expensive, low quality fire hazard. 

IMG_0470.thumb.jpeg.208c886fbc163cc27cf0d281196f6423.jpeg

That's disappointing. Timken used to be good bearings

9 minutes ago, melvinapple said:

That's disappointing. Timken used to be good bearings

I still see some that come with made in USA on them. Maybe they are still good. I also get some Timken that say made in China in addition to the ones from Turkey. I have actually had decent luck with the Timken bearings that are Chinese. 

Well you remember the root rake I installed a couple of weeks ago. I got a call Monday, we got a problem with the root rake. 

Pic #2&3 is what greeted me Tuesday morning when I showed up. So I broke out the torch and air arc. 90% of the welds I gouged out were full of porosity, One tooth had broke off and they found it, it only had about 2" of weld holding the rest were cold lapped.

Pic #4 is where I am at now. 

root rake.JPG

root rake 2.JPG

root rake 3.JPG

root rake 4.JPG

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Finney said:

Well you remember the root rake I installed a couple of weeks ago. I got a call Monday, we got a problem with the root rake. 

Pic #2&3 is what greeted me Tuesday morning when I showed up. So I broke out the torch and air arc. 90% of the welds I gouged out were full of porosity, One tooth had broke off and they found it, it only had about 2" of weld holding the rest were cold lapped.

root rake.JPG

root rake 2.JPG

root rake 3.JPG

root rake 4.JPG

When you want something done right, do it yourself!!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Finney said:

root rake.JPG

root rake 2.JPG

root rake 3.JPG

root rake 4.JPG

Make it cheap and sell it expensive. Just get it out the door and then have the customer totally rework it after almost no use. Typical. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Finney said:

root rake.JPG

root rake 2.JPG

root rake 3.JPG

root rake 4.JPG

That looks better. I think you could tear the original version up with a D3 never mind a D6.

Finished this morning, good thing I think I am coming down with sinus infection. About the time I got back to the shop they called and said we have broke/cracked the C frame and ball mount. I said good luck it will be at least Monday before I come back.

root rake5.JPG

root rake6.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Finney said:

Finished this morning, good thing I think I am coming down with sinus infection. About the time I got back to the shop they called and said we have broke/cracked the C frame and ball mount. I said good luck it will be at least Monday before I come back.

root rake5.JPG

root rake6.JPG

Take care of yourself Finney!

• Like 1

That looks like a power 6 way? I still say that's way to big of a machine for that setup, you would need a tightwad owner operator with a brain to stand any chance of not turning it into spaghetti before the new year

On 12/8/2023 at 11:45 PM, Alan Dinan said:

Had the neighbor over here with a trackhoe to dig out some trees that were too big for the backhoe. Hauled off a few loads of concrete too.

4AE2F7D0-369E-4BC7-AF80-7681AB0B0221.jpeg

6B97AB1F-71D2-4245-B312-2B4F450111C9.jpeg

10FE5C2B-299E-49B8-A447-5C7DA0EF4599.jpeg

4EBEC209-B51D-40B2-9413-794E6AFB1329.jpeg

Oooooh eye candy love diggin in the dirt!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hardtail said:

That looks like a power 6 way? I still say that's way to big of a machine for that setup, you would need a tightwad owner operator with a brain to stand any chance of not turning it into spaghetti before the new year

Probably be better off with a rear ripper 

One new shoe for the 560 tonight. 

Different seat tho I didn't realize I need a couple of spacers to go under it. Luckily I have a parts breakdown that confirmed what I suspected after mounting the seat tonight. Lil bit of side to side slip so I will need to dig into that....

Middle Pic of the seat someone had put on it. If the one I jist bought doesn't work out it may go back on. 🙄

20231214_164323.jpg

20231214_170903.jpg

20231212_171418.jpg

• Like 9

Worked on a barn roof and a buddy of mine put some lights up for us. The man lift makes both those things a LOT easier.  Well worth paying him to bring the lift over. 

1132C3D6-5339-43BA-9C85-8D73CE304CD9.jpeg

• Like 9

On 12/13/2023 at 3:38 PM, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I took this Timken bearing out of a combine today. I put it in maybe three years ago. It was made in Turkey and is apparently junk like everything else you can buy now. I took the original bearing out of this machine that lasted 15 years. Now they last two or three. They are nothing more than an expensive, low quality fire hazard. 

IMG_0470.thumb.jpeg.208c886fbc163cc27cf0d281196f6423.jpeg

Timken has been on a huge buying spree of anything driveline related.  Bearing, seal, coupler, whatever.  Makes me think that quality from them is now suspect.  If I want good conical bearings I ask for NTN/Bower.  

But all companies are able to send out junk.  Had an SKF 208 size self aligning 40mm bearing go out this fall on a one year old machine.  Really??  I do think the seals on that particular bearing # is junk though, not my first rodeo with them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hardtail said:

It is, too much power for a 6 way. Another contractor has 2 of them also, has put close to 6,000 hrs with none of these problems.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Worked on a barn roof and a buddy of mine put some lights up for us. The man lift makes both those things a LOT easier.  Well worth paying him to bring the lift over. 

1132C3D6-5339-43BA-9C85-8D73CE304CD9.jpeg

How biga sledge hammer u use to pound it in? 

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

It all comes down to the operator. What's the number of good operators declining though you want something that's pretty bulletproof.

I think most people thing a murray riding mower is a brush cutter now days and wonder y they tore it up 

On 12/13/2023 at 6:24 PM, Alan Dinan said:

When you want something done right, do it yourself!!

Or have @Finney do it for you 

• Like 1